Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Car stealers and the local economy

Car stealers and the local economy

Old Feb 6th 2017, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car stealers and the local economy

I don't get it.....

Originally Posted by Scamp
What sort of onion rings?
I don't like posh ones, where the whole onion slides out of very greasy fresh batter.
I like the cheap and nasty ones.
Big lover of onion rings. BK ones are a particular favourite. Don't mind the 'proper' ones, but they should be a thin ring and light crispy batter so you don't get the whole sliding out situation.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 5:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Bird's eye ones, of course. I could probably go to Findus. I can also do a posh one. I prefer a soggy batter to a crispy breadcrumb although am flexible.

What I don't like are the "birds nest' ones - i.e. it's not a ring, but basically shreds of onions that are battered and fried.
A bit like a flat bhaji? Sounds odd.

I think I prefer a breadcrumb. I can do the batter ones but I really don't think onion rings need to be overthought.

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
I guess the economy isn't that dead after all

Anyone ever have that awful blooming onion you find in America? I had it once. An entire deep fried onion. You pulled off the rings one by one to eat it. Very greasy. Can't remember who served it but it was one of the big chains.
Googled it. No thanks.
What a mess.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I'm coming back to the UAE the weekend of the 23/24. Could murder a burger. A nice proper juicy one with top notch chips on the side. I don't want a pansy little 'slider' but a properly sized piece of meat like the Yanks do.

Onion rings not required.

Nor are toppings like beetroot or avocados or whatever the Australians/Kiwis use to ruin their burgers.

Good suggestions?

A crisp draught beer with it is helpful though not an absolute must.

Anyone have the burgers at Brunswick at the Sheraton at MoE?
Old Feb 6th 2017, 5:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I'm coming back to the UAE the weekend of the 23/24. Could murder a burger. A nice proper juicy one with top notch chips on the side. I don't want a pansy little 'slider' but a properly sized piece of meat like the Yanks do.

Nor are toppings like beetroot or avocados or whatever the Australians/Kiwis use to ruin their burgers.

Good suggestions?

Go to the Rose and Crown - it's a solid burger.
Brunswick - I've heard lots of good things but never been.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 8:06 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Good suggestions?

Had a very good burger at Long's Bar in Towers Rotana on SZR a while back
Old Feb 6th 2017, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

How about....

Meat the UAE’s new luxury burger - The Burg-Khalifa | The National

The Roadery, the towering burger consists of five Wagyu beef patties, truffled cheese and seared foie gras, topped with saffron mayonnaise and blackberry ketchup, top it off with an edible 24-carat gold leaf bun. All available to order at the event for Dh230.

Make 95 look cheap, wonder if you get decent fries and cheap onion rings with it too?

Old Feb 6th 2017, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I somehow doubt that it comes with chips or onion rings.....

What's with all that green slime?

And why do the burgers look like they're made of ground chicken or turkey or similar filler crap for those who are in denial about pork and beef?

And how the hell do you eat it?

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
How about....

The Roadery, the towering burger consists of five Wagyu beef patties, truffled cheese and seared foie gras, topped with saffron mayonnaise and blackberry ketchup, top it off with an edible 24-carat gold leaf bun. All available to order at the event for Dh230.

Make 95 look cheap, wonder if you get decent fries and cheap onion rings with it too?

http://www.thenational.ae/storyimage...-170209505.jpg
Old Feb 6th 2017, 9:46 am
Account Closed

How about....

230 / 5 wagyu beef patties = 46 per bit of beef if nothing else costed.
Then add all the other shit on top.

It's excellent value.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 9:59 am
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

How about....

Hard to retain your dignity whilst eating that I would imagine

Old Feb 6th 2017, 11:41 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

The website of that outfit that have concocted this silly bling burger contains the following guff, pasted without comment:

On the road in London and beyond, serving up unique dishes, using the very best of British and wild foraged ingredients, while bringing you unique recipes with approachability using the forgotten cuts of meat, that truly deserve a place on our plates.
We work with the best British small farm food producers we can find, and forage for ingredients by hand weekly to bring some of the most unique dishes to London streets, festivals and private events.
We believe in real, honest food that shows a respect for nature. We cook food with a strong focus on wild ingredients, ethical production and farming, while constantly discovering new ingredients. Our menu evolves with the seasons so is constantly changing.

Whew, so we can rest easy that the gold leaf and fois gras are ethically foraged (or should that be faraged) locally.

OK, one comment but come on...

Last edited by Miss Ann Thrope; Feb 6th 2017 at 11:43 am.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
The website of that outfit that have concocted this silly bling burger contains the following guff, pasted without comment:

On the road in London and beyond, serving up unique dishes, using the very best of British and wild foraged ingredients, while bringing you unique recipes with approachability using the forgotten cuts of meat, that truly deserve a place on our plates.
We work with the best British small farm food producers we can find, and forage for ingredients by hand weekly to bring some of the most unique dishes to London streets, festivals and private events.
We believe in real, honest food that shows a respect for nature. We cook food with a strong focus on wild ingredients, ethical production and farming, while constantly discovering new ingredients. Our menu evolves with the seasons so is constantly changing.

Whew, so we can rest easy that the gold leaf and fois gras are ethically foraged (or should that be faraged) locally.

Menu evolves with the seasons. I bet the ice cream in summer is great.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope

What a pompous group of As*holes
Old Feb 7th 2017, 3:53 am
Account Closed

What a pompous group of As*holes

pompous
ˈpɒmpəs/Submit
adjective

affectedly grand, solemn, or self-important.
"a pompous ass who pretends he knows everything"
synonyms: self-important, imperious, overbearing

If that doesn't describe 99% of the people on here then I don't know what does.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

Big_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Scamp

pompous
ˈpɒmpəs/Submit
adjective

affectedly grand, solemn, or self-important.
"a pompous ass who pretends he knows everything"
synonyms: self-important, imperious, overbearing

If that doesn't describe 99% of the people on here then I don't know what does.
"Bored"?
Old Feb 7th 2017, 6:48 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Shake Shack always delivers on its promise imho

and I had Al Baiq in Saudi which completely blew me away, went back 3 days later to confirm if it was a one off but nope, different branch, same taste
chicken ofcourse

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.