Car Problems

Old Dec 15th 2014, 10:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Car Problems

Afternoon campers,

Wish I'd sold the ****ing thing when I was thinking about it before.

Oh well. The problem is quite simple, but not. Basically my Explorer (2010, 108,000km) has a whistling / whining sound between 2500-3000 revs. Generally only if I'm gently pressing the accelerator, if I floor it it doesn't happen.

It's been going for a while now and getting slowly worse (probably been happening for a few months). I had it checked over and serviced by Max Garage and the bloke was most complimentary about how well the car had been looked after etc, so can't imagine anything immediately obvious is going wrong.

Google brings up barrel loads of Ford forums with problems ranging from starting in -20 degrees and to air intakes, gearbox and transmission problems.

I won't be doing anything with it before Xmas but probably taking it to Ford in January to get them to cast their 'expert' eye over it.

I don't think it happens in neutral, but it happens when on cruise control or just normal driving. If I hover at 2600rpm for example, it will stay. It sounds like sucking air through your lips at a faint whistle...which makes me (being a complete engine / mechanical novice) think maybe a leak in an air hose or loose connection or something? Can't work out why only at those revs though.

Shiva, Millhouse, Tock, other petrolheads, your ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Scamp
Old Dec 15th 2014, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Problems

My dad's SAAB did that...just before the autobox made a funny noise and lost every gear.

Could be a bearing on its way out.

I was going to say water pump, but the way you describe it isn't that.

I doubt it's a hose, you probably wouldn't hear it sucking and it would cause all sort of other issues if a vacuum line is out - would run like a bag of shit.

In short, I've no ****ing idea - but I'm going to say gearbox. Is it in 4WD or 2WD? does it make a difference?
Old Dec 15th 2014, 11:28 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Do you lose (any) power when it happens?
Old Dec 15th 2014, 12:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
My dad's SAAB did that...just before the autobox made a funny noise and lost every gear.

Could be a bearing on its way out.

I was going to say water pump, but the way you describe it isn't that.

I doubt it's a hose, you probably wouldn't hear it sucking and it would cause all sort of other issues if a vacuum line is out - would run like a bag of shit.

In short, I've no ****ing idea - but I'm going to say gearbox. Is it in 4WD or 2WD? does it make a difference?
My concern as well. I read a few forum posts saying it was transmission or gearbox.

No idea if it's ever out of 4WD? God that's a dumb thing to say, I have to check, I know it has buttons for low range and things but never played with them because it just goes up and down Al Khail / SZR

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Do you lose (any) power when it happens?
No. It sits steadily and doesn't seem any different. Once it hits 3,000rpm it goes, and below it doesn't appear. Wondering if that's the prominent rpm range because that's where it's changing gear, but it does it when traveling at consistent speed, not just when changing gear etc.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 12:11 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
My concern as well. I read a few forum posts saying it was transmission or gearbox.

No idea if it's ever out of 4WD? God that's a dumb thing to say, I have to check, I know it has buttons for low range and things but never played with them because it just goes up and down Al Khail / SZR

No. It sits steadily and doesn't seem any different. Once it hits 3,000rpm it goes, and below it doesn't appear. Wondering if that's the prominent rpm range because that's where it's changing gear, but it does it when traveling at consistent speed, not just when changing gear etc.
You said its a whining sound. Does it happen when your GF's in the car?
Old Dec 15th 2014, 12:13 pm
Account Closed

Hahaha! I wish it was that simple.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 12:53 pm
Hit 16's

Since it happens at a specific rev range, I'd go with Millhouse's diagnosis of a bearing somewhere. However, have you checked all belts?
Old Dec 15th 2014, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a bearing to me. They will humm at the right rpm/ speed (depending where they are) as they die.

If it doesn't happen when you are not moving, it relates to the drive train. Could be the 4x4 box, gearbox, diff... if you are lucky it's a wheel bearing (but as it's rpm related, not speed, I think that is unlikely).

Sell it before it gets too noisy.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 3:30 am
Account Closed

Since it happens at a specific rev range, I'd go with Millhouse's diagnosis of a bearing somewhere. However, have you checked all belts?
Had them 'tightened' by the garage last time....so assuming not that.

Sounds like a bearing to me. They will humm at the right rpm/ speed (depending where they are) as they die.

If it doesn't happen when you are not moving, it relates to the drive train. Could be the 4x4 box, gearbox, diff... if you are lucky it's a wheel bearing (but as it's rpm related, not speed, I think that is unlikely).

Sell it before it gets too noisy.
Hmm. All of the above sounds quite expensive.

I think I'll leave it until after Xmas...I fly home on Thursday night. In January I'll take it to Ford with a couple of suggestions and ask what they think is wrong with it.

Thanks for the help chaps, much appreciated.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 4:41 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

pretty sure it wont be a hose

sounds like a bearing somewhere

does it happen when the ac is turned off ? could be an issue with the compressor bearing or pump etc

does it happen when you are in neutral, not driving but at 2500 rpm? if so its not a wheel bearing/drive train issue

have you checked the tension on all belts/chains? could be a loose fanbelt of timing belt. dont assume the garage either did this or did it right.

put it into 4wd or awd, whatever the button you dont use does. does it still make the same noise?
I had a horrible clunking and grinding of gears in the pajero a while back. turned out to be a 200 dhs solenoid fix. diagnosed it by running it in different 4wd settings. it was trying to shift into 4wd on its own when slowing down.

it could also be something v simple like a loose air intake hose that just happens to make a sound at a specific rev range. find your man card and check the engine. make sure all hoses, fixtures etc are all tight and on correctly. also look for cracked parts
Old Dec 16th 2014, 4:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by shiva
pretty sure it wont be a hose

sounds like a bearing somewhere

does it happen when the ac is turned off ? could be an issue with the compressor bearing or pump etc

does it happen when you are in neutral, not driving but at 2500 rpm? if so its not a wheel bearing/drive train issue

have you checked the tension on all belts/chains? could be a loose fanbelt of timing belt. dont assume the garage either did this or did it right.

put it into 4wd or awd, whatever the button you dont use does. does it still make the same noise?
I had a horrible clunking and grinding of gears in the pajero a while back. turned out to be a 200 dhs solenoid fix. diagnosed it by running it in different 4wd settings. it was trying to shift into 4wd on its own when slowing down.

it could also be something v simple like a loose air intake hose that just happens to make a sound at a specific rev range. find your man card and check the engine. make sure all hoses, fixtures etc are all tight and on correctly. also look for cracked parts
I'll try again in neutral later.

The 4x4 buttons are; 4x4 Auto, 4x4 High, 4x4 Low. Will play with all and try.

Been reversing up and down car park trying to see if it does it in reverse as well but can't tell. Plus, 2,500 revs in reverse is nippy!

Interestingly, I think this has started since they fixed my A/C. New compressor and bits got put in and I'm sure it was around then that this started so tempted to think it's that....however, I've not had A/C on much recently and it still does it, also still does it when the whole air system is turned off.

Thanks though, will jot these down and have a look tonight.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 5:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'll try again in neutral later.

The 4x4 buttons are; 4x4 Auto, 4x4 High, 4x4 Low. Will play with all and try.

Been reversing up and down car park trying to see if it does it in reverse as well but can't tell. Plus, 2,500 revs in reverse is nippy!

Interestingly, I think this has started since they fixed my A/C. New compressor and bits got put in and I'm sure it was around then that this started so tempted to think it's that....however, I've not had A/C on much recently and it still does it, also still does it when the whole air system is turned off.

Thanks though, will jot these down and have a look tonight.
The other question is - does it do it in every gear?
Old Dec 16th 2014, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

DubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura about

There's 2 whining noises then
Old Dec 16th 2014, 6:48 am
Account Closed

The other question is - does it do it in every gear?
It's never in anything apart from D. So I assume so because it happens at any speed.

Will manually try the first 3 gears and see what it does.
Old Dec 16th 2014, 6:54 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Try revving in neutral

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.