British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Car Pooling (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/car-pooling-587818/)

lionheart Jan 29th 2009 6:49 am

Car Pooling

Yet another example of UAE bureaucracy gone crazy. Over 8,000 drivers have evidently applied for a car pooling certificate but only 200 have been successful.:huh:

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Traff.../10279958.html

Beard Man Jan 29th 2009 7:00 am

Re: Car Pooling

strange.. it will be for their own good if they allow this because roads will be free and this will improve the tourisim.

but i don't think that taxi agencies got to do anything with that... it is the Salik that will lose more money this way.

but i have this feeling that there are rules that may be valid which not been completed once registering... because if they are the ones who wants this to happen to easer the conjustions why do they stop/make make more difficult this process now? unless there is a good reason for it.

lionheart Jan 29th 2009 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Beard Man (Post 7224613)
strange.. it will be for their own good if they allow this because roads will be free and this will improve the tourisim.

but i don't think that taxi agencies got to do anything with that... it is the Salik that will lose more money this way.

but i have this feeling that there are rules that may be valid which not been completed once registering... because if they are the ones who wants this to happen to easer the conjustions why do they stop/make make more difficult this process now? unless there is a good reason for it.

I was under the impression that some of the taxi proprietors have political muscle and don't want to lose revenue to car pooling syndicates, but I may be wrong.

Beard Man Jan 29th 2009 7:11 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7224629)
I was under the impression that some of the taxi proprietors have political muscle and don't want to lose revenue to car pooling syndicates, but I may be wrong.

i have this feeling that if roads are less Congested taxis will make better revenues as they will be able to make more trips...

admon Jan 29th 2009 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Beard Man (Post 7224636)
i have this feeling that if roads are less Congested taxis will make better revenues as they will be able to make more trips...

you are right, but that would take foresight and common sense on their behalf..

Beard Man Jan 29th 2009 7:55 am

Originally Posted by admon (Post 7224685)
you are right, but that would take foresight and common sense on their behalf..

what do you mean by that?

hawkhead Jan 29th 2009 1:43 pm

I heard this on the radio too and don't get it....you mean you need an actual certificate just to give a lift to some colleagues?????

Nickel Jan 29th 2009 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by hawkhead (Post 7225857)
I heard this on the radio too and don't get it....you mean you need an actual certificate just to give a lift to some colleagues?????

Yes, isn't that absolutely ridiculous?|??:curse:

No other country that I know of do you need to "register" and get a "license" to be able to carpool!! But, here, the way the law reads, if you and a colleague from work share a ride home, you are breaking the law. :huh:

Again, another example of taking a good idea and totally skewing it.......

B Bear Jan 29th 2009 5:18 pm

If two people work together and need to go to a meeting across town they must go in seperate cars if not registered. Every time you see a couple of young men speeding along SZR together they are breaking the law unless registered. Drive a friend to the restaurant - you're nicked! madness, and unenforceable!

The problem is unlicenced asian taxi cabs - free lancing - but approached in totally the wrong way leading to confusion and ridicule. ... 'Merc S500 pull him over Ali, he appears to have another person in the car with him - he better be registered!...'

Spugsy Jan 29th 2009 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by B Bear (Post 7226563)
If two people work together and need to go to a meeting across town they must go in seperate cars if not registered. Every time you see a couple of young men speeding along SZR together they are breaking the law unless registered. Drive a friend to the restaurant - you're nicked! madness, and unenforceable!

The problem is unlicenced asian taxi cabs - free lancing - but approached in totally the wrong way leading to confusion and ridicule. ... 'Merc S500 pull him over Ali, he appears to have another person in the car with him - he better be registered!...'

actually I haven't seen any dody cabs in ages.

Sandboy Jan 29th 2009 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7226719)
actually I haven't seen any dody cabs in ages.

think they went bust after that nasty business with the pissed up driver and the tunnel in Paris

hawkhead Jan 30th 2009 12:02 pm

Yes, isn't that absolutely ridiculous?|??

No other country that I know of do you need to "register" and get a "license" to be able to carpool!! But, here, the way the law reads, if you and a colleague from work share a ride home, you are breaking the law.

Again, another example of taking a good idea and totally skewing it.......

NO WAY!!! :curse::curse::curse::curse::curse::curse::curse:: curse:

This is so absolutely, crazily ridiculous that I just can't believe it....is is Dubai only or Emirates wide?

Nickel Jan 30th 2009 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by hawkhead (Post 7229330)
NO WAY!!! :curse::curse::curse::curse::curse::curse::curse:: curse:

This is so absolutely, crazily ridiculous that I just can't believe it....is is Dubai only or Emirates wide?

I think (99.4% sure) it is only Dubai. :blink:

MAV_DXB Jan 30th 2009 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 7227025)
think they went bust after that nasty business with the pissed up driver and the tunnel in Paris

very good... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

seraphnina Jan 30th 2009 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7224629)

Yep I read this in one of the papers. They complained about it.