British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Car Hire and things to do with kids (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/car-hire-things-do-kids-783193/)

kittycat1 Jan 10th 2013 2:55 am

Car Hire and things to do with kids

Hi all,

I am looking at hiring a car for Feb as my brother and family are coming for a weeks holiday- family of 4 so plus me makes 5 so we need a family size car. So I am thinking hiring something for a couple of weeks before they come so I can get used to driving here, then at least I won't be swearing like a fishwife when they are here (or so the plan goes)and then the week with them here. My brother also wants to go on the insurance whilst he is here, so I will need to insure it as a resident and then a tourist as well- is that possible?

Also what car is available and nice to drive and fits 5 in nicely without being squished? (my brother is 6'4 so a big bugger)but isn't going to cost me the earth? Any recommendations of hire companies as I would automatically look at the internationals but guess a local company may be more competitive?

And I will have to change my licence over so whats the process with that?

And also what to do with them- I have bought the entertainer books, but was thinking we could go out of Dubai a bit- any recommendations for stuff to do out of Dubai- Fujeriah boat trips? Yas water park- is it open yet? Ferrari world? the boys are 5 and 6 so may be too young for some things? Anyone with kids can recommend anything?

Thanks all.

KC
x

mentalist Jan 10th 2013 3:31 am

Re: Car Hire and things to do with kids

Global Village will kill a few evening hours. Very good funfare attached.

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 10th 2013 3:58 am

Thrifty and Diamond generally come in reasonable prices. Otherwise, I know a guy who can give you a lancer for about 1600 a month...but that's going to be a bit tight.

Licence - people say you can't drive on UK one if you're a resident, not sure if true but probably is. Process is alright:

Go to mall, get eye test for 100dibs
Get passport photos
Get NOC from Employer OR Freezone Sponsor (I had to get one from Tecom)
Get copies of passport, visa, licence (both bits)
Take all + Originals to RTA (By gold and diamond park and Mall of Emirates)
Fill out form.
They check it all.
Queue
Queue
Queue
Queue
Queue
Pay about 400/450
Get photo taken
Get licence.

Ideas:
Musandam boat trip?
Camping in the desert? I think somewhere in Fuj does 'glamping' where it's all provided and set up for you?
New waterpark on Yas open yet?
Grand Mosque (Maybe not for nippers)?
Dreamland waterpark in RAK?
Meydan races?
Al Ain Zoo?

Millhouse Jan 10th 2013 4:01 am

Jackie in Dubai for the motor. Tell her your requirements... probably something like an Outlander. 050 206 0646

* Don't bother with Wild Waddi / Atlantis with kids that age. Go to Dreamland. Much more kid friendly, half the price and no queues.

* Al Ain Zoo is fantastic.

* Kids Park and Zoo (maybe called Emirates Zoo) on the way to Abu Dhabi - sharma - is also a brilliant day out. Better than Al Ain zoo for kids that ages as they will let you handle all the animals.

* Hire an RTA Water Taxi for an hour or so - trip from Festival City to Marina.

* Captain Jack - voucher in the book - 1 hour boat trip. kids will love it. If you ask nicely they will let the kids drive the boat.

* Fujeriah is OK. Khor Forlakan is nice. Good beach.

* Is you can afford the trip over the border to Musandam I recommend it. It simply is stunning.

But... the border charges are quite expensive for tourists (200dh) so your bro will be in for 800dh just to cross the border. It will only cost you 30dh. Thomas (+96899103657) runs an excellent Dhow tour. You will probably see dolphins this time of year. Don't bother with the dhow cruises that run from Dibba, they are shite.

* Picnic in Zabeel Park. Lovely place, kids will have fun.

dubaiguy2011 Jan 10th 2013 4:43 am

A non-resident cannot drive a UAE privately registered vehicle on an international driving licence (or a foreign domestic licence).

A work around to this is getting a temporary driving licence (valid for 6 months) which can be issued in the Bur Dubai traffic dept. This should act as a work around for your family.

dubaiguy2011 Jan 10th 2013 4:45 am

Some ppl from my work mentioned that you can now go and interact with penguins at Ski Dubai. That could be fun (and novel) for the kids...?

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 10th 2013 4:45 am

Originally Posted by dubaiguy2011 (Post 10474673)
A non-resident cannot drive a UAE privately registered vehicle on an international driving licence (or a foreign domestic licence).

A work around to this is getting a temporary driving licence (valid for 6 months) which can be issued in the Bur Dubai traffic dept. This should act as a work around for your family.

Surely visitors can be named driver on a hire car?

kittycat1 Jan 10th 2013 5:25 am

dubaiguy2011

Some ppl from my work mentioned that you can now go and interact with penguins at Ski Dubai. That could be fun (and novel) for the kids...?
Sod the kids I want to play with the penguins!!!

britexpat76 Jan 10th 2013 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10474676)

You are right. Hire cars are different (UK or IDP both acceptable) Privately owned cars you must have Dubs licence. So you are both right.

LaLaLayla Jan 10th 2013 6:35 am

If they are typical boys, they will love Sheikh Hamad's car museum.

And I second Al Ain Zoo. You could tie it in with a trip up Jebel Hafeet and lunch in the hotel at the top.

Oh, and Thrifty are good for car hire.

Blue Cat Jan 10th 2013 8:11 am

They will love Wild Wadi :thumbup:

Millhouse Jan 10th 2013 9:03 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10474703)
Sod the kids I want to play with the penguins!!!

They are a very playful bunch. Funny little things.

Robajob Jan 10th 2013 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10474897)
They are a very playful bunch. Funny little things.

The kids or the penguins?

dubaiguy2011 Jan 11th 2013 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10474676)

A hire car is not a privately owned vehicle.

dubaiguy2011 Jan 11th 2013 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Robajob (Post 10475121)
The kids or the penguins?

Rattle rattle jewelry jewelry