British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Car Hire Dubai..not your conventional sort! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/car-hire-dubai-not-your-conventional-sort-614966/)

FunnyFeline Jun 15th 2009 3:06 pm

Car Hire Dubai..not your conventional sort!

Hi all,

I wonder if any of you can point me in the right direction. Before I arrived in Dubai, I was looking at a website for car hire in Dubai, but it was a company that supplied cars covered in advertising, and you can hire them at a significantly reduced cost. You basically hire the car for a small fee and have to drive it for a minimum distance each day, in a certain area. However, I have tried googling it, but to no avail. I can't remember the name of the company and am having a total "brain fart" over this.

Any help would be much appreciated! Ta muchly!! :thumbup:

Madam Medusa Jun 15th 2009 3:36 pm

Re: Car Hire Dubai..not your conventional sort!

http://www.inmotion.ae/

MM, xx

shiva Jun 15th 2009 3:49 pm

one dirham a day, i'd do it if the cars wernt so fugly

http://www.onerentcar.com/

Sarahb79 Jun 16th 2009 1:06 am

What a fab idea. I may look into this when I move and have friends over as I have a feeling I will end up driving an older car.

deemi786 Jun 16th 2009 8:51 am

anyone know if they do something similar in the UK? Am going home for the summer and need a car.

BorderTart Jun 16th 2009 9:37 am

Originally Posted by FunnyFeline (Post 7666823)
Hi all,

I wonder if any of you can point me in the right direction. Before I arrived in Dubai, I was looking at a website for car hire in Dubai, but it was a company that supplied cars covered in advertising, and you can hire them at a significantly reduced cost. You basically hire the car for a small fee and have to drive it for a minimum distance each day, in a certain area. However, I have tried googling it, but to no avail. I can't remember the name of the company and am having a total "brain fart" over this.

Any help would be much appreciated! Ta muchly!! :thumbup:

There are a lot of extra charges, so you may find it doen't work out to be all that cheap and you can only hire for 8 days. :sneaky:

Robbies Jun 17th 2009 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7666888)

Fantastic - thanks for that. We were about to book our car into the dealer for some work and were facing "normal" rental car costs... this is fantastic! Min 30km per day... to work and the nursery run is more than that! :thumbsup:

Robbies Jun 22nd 2009 7:24 am

anyone used the inmotion company before?

I'm trying to sort a car with them, and they need copies of passport and visa, credit card and driving licence before they can confirm the booking... This seems a lot of information to be sending then in advance??

Madam Medusa Jun 22nd 2009 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Robbies (Post 7687198)
anyone used the inmotion company before?

I'm trying to sort a car with them, and they need copies of passport and visa, credit card and driving licence before they can confirm the booking... This seems a lot of information to be sending then in advance??

isn't that standard for a rental company...especially in current climate...they are legit for sure...

MM, xx

Euc- Jun 22nd 2009 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7687411)
isn't that standard for a rental company...especially in current climate...they are legit for sure...

MM, xx

Yeah, that is indeed the standard when you pick up the rental, not when you make the booking.. At least, in my experience. Creditcard I think if fair, but visa and license copy? They can make a copy when I pick it up, much less hassle.

Madam Medusa Jun 22nd 2009 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Euc- (Post 7687421)
Yeah, that is indeed the standard when you pick up the rental, not when you make the booking.. At least, in my experience. Creditcard I think if fair, but visa and license copy? They can make a copy when I pick it up, much less hassle.

oh well...suppose you make a choice, you provide this and get a cheaper car, or you don't and go for something more expensive...

MM, xx

Euc- Jun 22nd 2009 9:10 am

Btw I was wondering one thing though, they ask you to have your Dubai license at least 6 months right? I've converted my home license to the dubai one in november last year, and only got one valid for one year! So what happends if I go to renew it next november?

Do I get a new one with the original issue date but valid for another year, or do I get a new issue date and again valid for one year, and does that mean if I want to rent a car I need to carry both licenses to prove I've had one for more then the 6 months? :confused:

Euc- Jun 22nd 2009 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7687425)
oh well...suppose you make a choice, you provide this and get a cheaper car, or you don't and go for something more expensive...

MM, xx

Yeah that's true. But still strange they want to have it all in advance, what's the use? Ahwell.. the Dubai way.

Robbies Jun 22nd 2009 10:40 am

Yes, thought of it that way, and decided to give it a whirl...

BorderTart Jun 22nd 2009 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Robbies (Post 7687641)
Yes, thought of it that way, and decided to give it a whirl...

Let us know how you get on.....:)