British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   car bump (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/car-bump-781115/)

rowell Dec 19th 2012 10:38 am

car bump

My car was bumped at airport whilst picking someone up but didnt notice it till later, i know i need a police slip but can i call them to house or do i have to be on open rd or in car park, what is procedure please, besides its gonna cost me.

Bahtatboy Dec 19th 2012 10:45 am

Re: car bump

Assuming you're in UAE: call 999, tell them non-urgent accident, they'll send one of the Highways Agency-like troops out. When they arrive, either tell them the truth, or park car on the road outside your house and say you found it like this just before you called them. Latter probably less hassle.

Edit: A friend (ahem) waited about a month before calling them, said it must have happened that morning. No hassle.

Welivehere Dec 19th 2012 10:46 am

• Legit way - Go back to car park and call them
  • Lazy way - Call them to the house and say it happened there
  • Other way - Minor knock, take it too the nearest police station and deal with it there....

Patsy Stoned Dec 19th 2012 10:51 am

Just call them to your house, they don't care.
Just make sure that the knock is on the road side and not the kerb side when you park lol!!

mikewot Dec 19th 2012 11:07 am

Friend of mine damaged two wheels on a building brick joining SZR from JLT. Expensive wheels so he decided to claim off the insurance and called the cops once he was back home. Car in the garage he went to Jebel Ali cop shop and they wanted some forms, took them there next day, they wanted more. Went on for 5 days, different forms every time. Eventually had to hire a recovery truck, load the car on it, take it to the slip road on SZR and show a cop, just so happened there was another brick there.
I had read of such things before I came out here i.e. having to put cars back in the water if there was an accident and they ended up in there. But I thought it had got better, this was only 3 months ago.

rowell Dec 20th 2012 3:05 am

Thanks everyone, gonna go for the roadside parking.

OriginalSunshine Dec 20th 2012 7:07 am

oh thank goodness. we just take it to the garage, get a quote for the insurance (they charge more if the insurance pays....), and get the insurance to settle directly with the garage with you paying any excess.

if two parties involved, both fill in form, one admitting liability, hand in to police station at a later date, get it stamped. then leave insurance companies to fight. unfortunately if it's really bad, then the other person's insurance (if they are at fault) will make you tow the car (at your cost) to three other garages to get the cheapest quote.

if both parties don't agree, call the cops, wait a couple of hours, whoever the cops decide was at fault now has a 50 OMR (±500 AED) fine, and both have to repeat the above procedure.

if and only if there is a serious accident (and here "serious" = someone injured) should you call the police straight away. and that's normally so they can work out who to throw in prison, and assess if a road sweeper is required.

Beakersful Dec 20th 2012 6:40 pm

I presume there was no cctv where you 'originally' took the damage? Just in case the staff watching it reported it on and you then go and make a claim saying it happened elsewhere....

Desert Dubliner Dec 20th 2012 6:48 pm

Well I had a minor accident resulting in what seemed like a major bumper damage. Waited for police for an hour and a half in a quite busy spot and at the end took 1000 riyals from the guy and we both drove off. Next day I went to Chevrolet dealer to a guy I know and told him this happened in the office car park and I didn't know what to do. He said go home and pour a kettle of boiling water on the bumper and kick it from the inside. Magic, it worked and the only thing left is a small scratch I will have polished the next time I renew my Ziebart diamond gloss paint protection.

rowell Dec 21st 2012 3:18 am

Originally Posted by Beakersful (Post 10444274)
I presume there was no cctv where you 'originally' took the damage? Just in case the staff watching it reported it on and you then go and make a claim saying it happened elsewhere....

I went back and checked that in case I could have maybe found who did it but no cameras

rowell Dec 21st 2012 3:27 am

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner (Post 10444284)
Well I had a minor accident resulting in what seemed like a major bumper damage. Waited for police for an hour and a half in a quite busy spot and at the end took 1000 riyals from the guy and we both drove off. Next day I went to Chevrolet dealer to a guy I know and told him this happened in the office car park and I didn't know what to do. He said go home and pour a kettle of boiling water on the bumper and kick it from the inside. Magic, it worked and the only thing left is a small scratch I will have polished the next time I renew my Ziebart diamond gloss paint protection.

I will give that a go as its top of wheel arch with the dent but it does look like it could push out, what I will do first is get a quote for the damage, as I don't think any new parts are needed, just a paint job after pushing out the wheel arch, then needn't bother the insurance company and won't need police report.i have 1000dhs head start as I understand the police charge is 600 and I pay first 400 on a claim.

Desert Dubliner Dec 21st 2012 4:32 am

Originally Posted by rowell (Post 10444915)
I will give that a go as its top of wheel arch with the dent but it does look like it could push out, what I will do first is get a quote for the damage, as I don't think any new parts are needed, just a paint job after pushing out the wheel arch, then needn't bother the insurance company and won't need police report.i have 1000dhs head start as I understand the police charge is 600 and I pay first 400 on a claim.

Kettle thing only works on plastic bits. Forget it on the metal.

Patsy Stoned Dec 21st 2012 5:02 am

When I reversed my car into my electric gates whilst they were still closed...don't ask :D
My landlordcame round 3 days later and called the police for me, they came within 10 mins, told me not to worry, gave me a form and called my insurance company and told them it was covered on my 3rd party liability insurance. My LL arranged for a man to replace the gates and my insurance company paid up within days...the joys of having a lovely local LL :D

Blue Cat Dec 21st 2012 5:07 am

why would the Police charge?

rowell Dec 21st 2012 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10444973)
why would the Police charge?

Just going on when someone went into back of me and it stated on my slip he had a charge of 600dhs according to guy that translated it for me