Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Can't Stay If You're Gay, B&B Tells Couple

Can't Stay If You're Gay, B&B Tells Couple

Old Mar 30th 2010, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can't Stay If You're Gay, B&B Tells Couple

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
The UK licensing laws are very specific about this..in effect we are allowing people into our living rooms.. This is the common law........The license
holder ( that means the person who's name is above the door as in ( Mrs Patsystoned is licensed to sell.........) or a bartender given authority by the licensee does not need to provide a reason for refusing to serve somebody..the person may, ofcourse, try to sue them, but they would have a very difficult job trying to prove that it was discriminatory.
" she refused to serve me because I am black"...err ...no there are other black people in the bar....Oh ..she refused to serve me because I am gay....errr... no there are other gays in the bar............ I refused to serve you because.............I CAN!!

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/n...84871?N=598254

oh and if you are interested here is the list of people it is illegal to serve drinks to..this is usually a question the magistrates ask you when you apply for your license

1) A Policeman in uniform.
2)Anyone under the age of 18.
3)Anyone you know to be under th influence of drugs or alcohol.
4)A known prostitute.
Oooops.......... I once bought a drink for a drug-ravaged under-age prostitute dressed as a police officer...........
Old Mar 30th 2010, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
so if your drunk its illegal to be served another drink?
Yes ..the UK licensing laws are very specific about that..but as a landlord/lady you make a judgement call..there is a huge difference between a happy drunk and an aggressive 1.
But if the police wanted to be shirty they could ask for your license to be revoked if you kept "an unruly house"
I would very rarely call the police to sort out a problem in my pub because they can then deem you "unable to control the licensed premises"
But you are not breaking the law per se..it is the Landlord breaking the law..it is not illegal to have a drink if you are drunk.(unless you are deemed a "public nuisance") but it is illegal for a licenseholder to serve a drunk person

Last edited by Patsy Stoned; Mar 30th 2010 at 7:22 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Oooops.......... I once bought a drink for a drug-ravaged under-age prostitute dressed as a police officer...........
So that is how you met your wife!!

Just a joke darling xxxx
Old Mar 30th 2010, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

So that is how you met your wife!!

Just a joke darling xxxx
Not a funny one though, but what the heck...........
Old Mar 30th 2010, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Dean
Not a funny one though, but what the heck...........
Well it amused me sweetie
Old Mar 30th 2010, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well it amused me sweetie
I was about to suggest that myself.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 6:26 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

oh and if you are interested here is the list of people it is illegal to serve drinks to..this is usually a question the magistrates ask you when you apply for your license

4)A known prostitute.
That's quite some institutional discrimination. OK to serve a known rapist, robber or murderer, but to serve someone engaged in an activity which itself is not illegal is not allowed. There'd be a lot of thirstly ladies in the Ally Pally if they applied that here...
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
That's quite some institutional discrimination. OK to serve a known rapist, robber or murderer, but to serve someone engaged in an activity which itself is not illegal is not allowed. There'd be a lot of thirstly ladies in the Ally Pally if they applied that here...
but if they were known rapist/murders/etc, they would have been charged and done their time. I guess they don't want prostitutes in the pubs... maybe Dubai could use this law!
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes ..the UK licensing laws are very specific about that..but as a landlord/lady you make a judgement call..there is a huge difference between a happy drunk and an aggressive 1.
But if the police wanted to be shirty they could ask for your license to be revoked if you kept "an unruly house"
I would very rarely call the police to sort out a problem in my pub because they can then deem you "unable to control the licensed premises"
But you are not breaking the law per se..it is the Landlord breaking the law..it is not illegal to have a drink if you are drunk.(unless you are deemed a "public nuisance") but it is illegal for a licenseholder to serve a drunk person
In which case, many city and town pubs break the law every friday and saturday night given the predominance of yoof bingedrinking in the UK...
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
In which case, many city and town pubs break the law every friday and saturday night given the predominance of yoof bingedrinking in the UK...
which is why I gave up my license and moved abroad...it used to be fairly safe being a landlady, but I knew too many licensees who had been glassed by yobs and decided it was time!
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

which is why I gave up my license and moved abroad...it used to be fairly safe being a landlady, but I knew too many licensees who had been glassed by yobs and decided it was time!
They are beastly, the great unwashed....
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
They are beastly, the great unwashed....
Arent they just darling!..sorry for the lack of punctuation, I am using my sisters laptop and it is a turkish keyboard and I cant find the apostrophe!!
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 9:30 pm