Reload this Page >

Can't Stay If You're Gay, B&B Tells Couple

Can't Stay If You're Gay, B&B Tells Couple

Old Mar 29th 2010, 9:26 am
Just Joined

samza is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can't Stay If You're Gay, B&B Tells Couple

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Hmm gotta agree - a couple on holiday get turned away from their hotel for no good reason? They musta felt like shit..... Inhuman.
In my opinion there was a very good reason to turn them away. They should have checked first if gay couples were welcome. It was a B&B in a private house not an HOTEL - Anyway all businesses have the right to refuse admission/custom. Bars, restaurants, nightclubs etc all have a sign saying - We have the right to refuse entry - which is unconditional. Even if they don't like the look of you, they can refuse admission !

I would have made sure I treated the couple decently and explain my reasons and perhaps try to find suitable alternative accommodation. I am not homophobic nor am I a religious nut but I believe all people should be allowed to follow the tenets of their faith and beliefs within their own private homes.

Their solution was to look for gay friendly accommodation in advance - there are plenty around, or book into a hotel where they could be anonymous.

http://www.friendly-places.com/categories/gay-friendly/
Old Mar 29th 2010, 9:33 am
Just Joined

yournamefirst is an unknown quantity at this point

Do all these episodes around the world indicate that "gay feeling" and "lesbian feeling" are against nature and forbidden?
Old Mar 29th 2010, 9:34 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yournamefirst
Do all these episodes around the world indicate that "gay feeling" and "lesbian feeling" are against nature and forbidden?
Nah, just the gay ones!
Old Mar 29th 2010, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
Nah, just the gay ones!
Quite - I've always enjoyed lesbian feeling..............
Old Mar 29th 2010, 9:39 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samza
In my opinion there was a very good reason to turn them away. They should have checked first if gay couples were welcome. It was a B&B in a private house not an HOTEL - Anyway all businesses have the right to refuse admission/custom. Bars, restaurants, nightclubs etc all have a sign saying - We have the right to refuse entry - which is unconditional. Even if they don't like the look of you, they can refuse admission !

I would have made sure I treated the couple decently and explain my reasons and perhaps try to find suitable alternative accommodation. I am not homophobic nor am I a religious nut but I believe all people should be allowed to follow the tenets of their faith and beliefs within their own private homes.

Their solution was to look for gay friendly accommodation in advance - there are plenty around, or book into a hotel where they could be anonymous.

The point is it's not their private house once they open it up for business. Simple.

And bars, restaurants and the like certainly cannot discriminate on the basis of sexuality, regardless of what anyone might intrepret a sign as meaning. Legislation is very clear on this whole issue.

Morally--we're all entitled to an opinion, but that's very separate from the legal position.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
The point is it's not their private house once they open it up for business. Simple.

And bars, restaurants and the like certainly cannot discriminate on the basis of sexuality, regardless of what anyone might intrepret a sign as meaning. Legislation is very clear on this whole issue.

Morally--we're all entitled to an opinion, but that's very separate from the legal position.
There are strict taxman guidelines for using all or part of your home as business premises......... the rules acknowledge clear distinctions between a 'normal' place of work, and using your home. B&Bs, guesthouses, etc are part of this arrangement.

If your day-to-day business routine involves inviting people into your home, you most certainly may refuse them entry.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 6:19 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

bollocks can they refuse you admission because of a bloody sign.

'Sorry you've seen my sign, I don't want any black people'

What woul dhappen then eh?
Old Mar 29th 2010, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by admon
imagine trying to get those stains out of the sheets..
That's room service's problem, not ours...
Old Mar 29th 2010, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Actually the UK licensing laws are quite specific about this. As a Landlady I could refuse to serve anybody without giving a reason..the only rights you have as a customer in a licensed premises are those appertaining to weights and measures/substitution/ customs/health and safety etc.
You walk into my pub and I don't like the look of you I could refuse to serve you and didn't have to give a reason.
I don't think they have changed too much over the years.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 4:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Spugsy
bollocks can they refuse you admission because of a bloody sign.

'Sorry you've seen my sign, I don't want any black people'

What woul dhappen then eh?
As it happens I can refuse admission and I can use any excuse I want. All you can do is take me to court in a civil case to get compensation. You can't force me to let you a room in my house, even if I have received payment.

I can refund you and you can sue me if you want more money - let the judge decide.

I own 2 rental villas in Mauritius and the terms and conditions were made by a solicitor and legal.

check out my website : www.hibiscusholidays.com/rates.html

Right to Decline
The Hibiscus Group reserves the right to refuse, alter or cancel a booking, even after receipt of the final balance payment in circumstances that arise which are beyond their control. In such an instance, alternative arrangements will be made in similar accommodation, or the client will receive a full refund of all monies paid. No refund or liability will apply to a situation where a client is requested to vacate due to misbehaviour or leaves of their own accord prior to the expiration of their booking.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 4:59 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Are you arguing or advertising?

-
Old Mar 30th 2010, 6:23 am
Just Joined

Yes legislation is quite clear and the moral situation was not handled correctly either.

The B&B owners were discriminatory when they refused admission saying it was against their (opinion) christian principles to admit the gay couple.

Morally the B&B owners did not act in a christian-like manner. They were self righteous and judgemental. "Do not judge others lest you be judged". Matthew 7:1-5

If they were acting according to their christian (Christ like) principles they should have asked themselves -What would Jesus have said and done?.
Jesus never judged anyone fullstop. He mixed with all sorts of people regarded as sinners by the religious leaders in those days who criticised him for it. Jesus said "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." Matthew 2:17

What I would have done and the B&B owners should have done was to act in a decent manner without breaking the law and without hurting the gay couple's feelings. They could have used any old excuse for non admission - heating broken down, flooded room, plumbing problem, fire, illness, circumstances are beyond our control so here is your refund and here is the nearest B&B (gay friendly) and the taxi fare to get there.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 6:25 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Yes legislation is quite clear and the moral situation was not handled correctly either.

The B&B owners were discriminatory when they refused admission saying it was against their (opinion) christian principles to admit the gay couple.

Morally the B&B owners did not act in a christian-like manner. They were self righteous and judgemental. "Do not judge others lest you be judged". Matthew 7:1-5

If they were acting according to their christian (Christ like) principles they should have asked themselves -What would Jesus have said and done?.
Jesus never judged anyone fullstop. He mixed with all sorts of people regarded as sinners by the religious leaders in those days who criticised him for it. Jesus said "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." Matthew 2:17

What I would have done and the B&B owners should have done was to act in a decent manner without breaking the law and without hurting the gay couple's feelings. They could have used any old excuse for non admission - heating broken down, flooded room, plumbing problem, fire, illness, circumstances are beyond our control so here is your refund and here is the nearest B&B (gay friendly) and the taxi fare to get there.
So, lie to them? That's the Christian way?
Old Mar 30th 2010, 6:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Meow
Are you arguing or advertising?

-
No not advertising - sorry about that, it looks like I'm bragging. I will try to edit and remove the link
Old Mar 30th 2010, 6:49 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

No not advertising - sorry about that, it looks like I'm bragging. I will try to edit and remove the link
Advertising and preaching.

-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.