British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Can't Stay If You're Gay, B&B Tells Couple (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/cant-stay-if-youre-gay-b-b-tells-couple-660644/)

The Dean Mar 22nd 2010 8:33 pm

Can't Stay If You're Gay, B&B Tells Couple

Well done - a stand based on principles............. :thumbup:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-..._And_Breakfast

littlejimmy Mar 22nd 2010 8:40 pm

Re: Can't Stay If You're Gay, B&B Tells Couple

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 8439653)

Medieval principles? Sounds like the Middle East.

The Dean Mar 22nd 2010 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 8439680)
Medieval principles? Sounds like the Middle East.

If they don't accept homosexuality for religious reasons, that's up to them. No argument from me.

Mind you, I've just seen the two men on Sky News............. they could have been rejected on the grounds that they were plug ugly...........

Autonomy Mar 22nd 2010 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 8439653)

Are you congratulating homophobia or religious indoctrination? Either way...

The Dean Mar 22nd 2010 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 8439739)

Hmmmm............ now let's imagine the B&B owners were Muslim............. this one can run and run...........

shakh your bootie Mar 22nd 2010 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 8439739)

Hmm gotta agree - a couple on holiday get turned away from their hotel for no good reason? They musta felt like shit..... Inhuman.

Autonomy Mar 22nd 2010 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 8439754)
Hmmmm............ now let's imagine the B&B owners were Muslim............. this one can run and run...........

I don't care about the owners prejudice (if they have one) let's imagine true freedom.

MataHari Mar 22nd 2010 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 8439780)
Hmm gotta agree - a couple on holiday get turned away from their hotel for no good reason? They musta felt like shit..... Inhuman.

I don't know...a B & B is a home type thing isn't it, and I assume that you are allowed to refuse entry to people for whatever reason you like, or isn't that the case?
I personally couldn't care less if they are gay or straight or whatever, but if I ran a B & B I would like to have the option to refuse people that somehow I didn't feel good about, for whatever reason...

The Dean Mar 22nd 2010 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 8439780)

"Inhuman"? Oh come off it......... the owners took a view that they didn't want two men sharing a bed in their own private house (part of which is used as a B&B). I'll be astonished if the police take it any further.

shakh your bootie Mar 22nd 2010 9:35 pm

As soon as you run your "home" as a business - that goes out the window. Didn' they check on the booking and realize it was 2 chaps sharing??? You know what - I ain't gonna be letting no uptight honkies into my home from now on in...... regardless of how rude or prejudicial that makes me......

MataHari Mar 22nd 2010 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 8439831)
As soon as you run your "home" as a business - that goes out the window. Didn' they check on the booking and realize it was 2 chaps sharing??? You know what - I ain't gonna be letting no uptight honkies into my home from now on in...... regardless of how rude or prejudicial that makes me......

hmmmm...don't think I'd be suitable to run a B & B then...oh well

The Dean Mar 22nd 2010 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8439848)
hmmmm...don't think I'd be suitable to run a B & B then...oh well

You could always run a language school to teach English to the Dutch..........

seven seas Mar 23rd 2010 3:42 am

It's good, the more this happens, the more religion is shown it its true form.

kittycat1 Mar 23rd 2010 3:53 am

The B&B owners should be ashamed of themselves! If you don't want a certain type of person staying in your home then you shouldn't be running a B&B. Do they question every guest and ask if they live a christian lifestyle- I expect they don't.

If they had been turned away because they were black there would be absolute outrage. Any type of discrimination is appauling. I have a lot of gay friends at home and they generally go through alot in their lifetime, having to put up with mental anguish, family rejection and abuse in the street. Can you imagine if McDonalds refused to serve them, just because its a B&B it makes no difference, you offer a service then you should provide to anyone whether they be gay or straight.

Meow Mar 23rd 2010 4:58 am

I thought Christianity was about peace, love, understanding and loving your neighbour. Unless they are gay, obviously. :rolleyes:

Along vaguely similar lines, I wonder if (married) homosexuals Elton John & David Furnish get to share a hotel room here?

-