British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   This cannot be hidden in a Jimmy Savile thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/cannot-hidden-jimmy-savile-thread-776447/)

The Dean Nov 2nd 2012 11:37 am

This cannot be hidden in a Jimmy Savile thread

This is an extraordinary article - and not at all pleasant.......... powerful and compelling stuff............ :ohmy:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture...talking-about/

mentalist Nov 2nd 2012 11:44 am

Re: This cannot be hidden in a Jimmy Savile thread

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10362266)
This is an extraordinary article - and not at all pleasant.......... powerful and compelling stuff............ :ohmy:http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture...talking-about/

Hardly many shocking revelations there. Haven't alot of us been abused or molested in some way or another during our childhood?

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 2nd 2012 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10362278)
Hardly many shocking revelations there. Haven't alot of us been abused or molested in some way or another during our childhood?

Thankfully, no.

Beakersful Nov 2nd 2012 3:41 pm

At the cost of repeating myself in another thread, figures in the Western world suggest 1 in 4 girls, and 1 in 20 boys will have been molested in some way before adulthood.

Yes, the 'culture of celebrity' needs to die in our society. That is prominent on peoples minds right now. But underlying this is human behaviour in society (and figures suggest other, non-Western societies have similar figures)

Esther Ranzen kicked off the major campaigns to be watchful. In my view probably due to what she observed in celebrity circles. But this problem was always there, and may always be there.

Without becoming hysterical, and causing knee jerk reactions to surface, we need to ensure education of the subject is disseminated without ruining our childrens innocence.

The Dean Nov 2nd 2012 4:53 pm

I cannot believe Mentalist's dismissive response - I was trembling with anger as I read that. Very moving, and so brave to write it. I agree with Scamp - very few kids will have been through that. It wasn't just a bit of 'touching up'; that was something that would make my blood boil even if it had happened to an adult............

He draws some sensible conclusions and makes recommendations that would certainly improve matters. How dreadful that he had to go through that to get where he is now.

Autonomy Nov 2nd 2012 7:31 pm

Did you read the article?

"When I was at school I was sexually abused. Let me clarify: I was serially raped when I was a child, between the ages of five and 10. At least one other teacher knew it was happening and even after voicing their concerns to the relevant authorities within the school, nothing was done and the horrors continued. "

Self-harm. Depression. Drug and alcohol abuse. Reparative surgery. OCD. Dissociation. Inability to maintain functional relationships. Marital breakdowns. Being forcefully institutionalised. Hallucinations (auditory and visual). Hypervigilance. PTSD. Sexual shame and confusion. Anorexia and other eating disorders. These are just a few of my symptoms (for want of a better word) of chronic sexual abuse. They have all been a part of my life in the very recent past and the abuse I went through was 30 years ago.

If you don't call that shocking - what do you?

OriginalSunshine Nov 3rd 2012 3:31 pm

Being anally raped at the age of 5yrs old is hardly normal nor routine, thankfully.

britexpat76 Nov 3rd 2012 3:54 pm

Idiot.

Vanya Nov 3rd 2012 4:02 pm

I think we have to define terms here. What is acceptable 'touching' in one culture would be considered inappropriate in another. For example in many cultures you are expected to kiss everyone whom you meet and make a fuss of their children. In other societies one must keep a distance at all times.
We recently had visiting teachers from the UK over here and they were not comfortable with the open affection shown.

Alexa Nov 3rd 2012 4:07 pm

Are you from Afghanistan?

Meow Nov 4th 2012 4:56 am

Not shocking? You're not shocked to read a tale of a child that was regularly raped? That sickens me.

Blue Cat Nov 4th 2012 5:06 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10364867)
Not shocking? You're not shocked to read a tale of a child that was regularly raped? That sickens me.

agree it makes me feel sick to the core :(

Meow Nov 4th 2012 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10364871)
agree it makes me feel sick to the core :(

I'm sickened both by the story and an adult saying it isn't shocking.

Blue Cat Nov 4th 2012 5:11 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10364874)
I'm sickened both by the story and an adult saying it isn't shocking.

I am wondering whether he has been a victim of sexual abuse and this is how he handles it? blocking it, hardened?

Meow Nov 4th 2012 5:12 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10364875)
I am wondering whether he has been a victim of sexual abuse and this is how he handles it? blocking it, hardened?

You're too nice sometimes...