Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Can the UK learn from the UAE?

Can the UK learn from the UAE?

Old Apr 27th 2011, 8:29 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can the UK learn from the UAE?

...in respect of speed limits.

The media coverage plus the big signs on the AD-Dubai road actually seem to be working. Apart from 5 nutters (who you'll never be able to legislate for), my recent journeys between AD and Dubai were relatively sane, with everyone keeping below 140 kph. Just need some patrol cars and a few more cameras and I think it'll really work.

Two caveats. How to educate the morons who hog the outside lanes, and what will happen next time there's fog.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 9:38 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can the UK learn from the UAE?

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
...in respect of speed limits.

The media coverage plus the big signs on the AD-Dubai road actually seem to be working. Apart from 5 nutters (who you'll never be able to legislate for), my recent journeys between AD and Dubai were relatively sane, with everyone keeping below 140 kph. Just need some patrol cars and a few more cameras and I think it'll really work.

Two caveats. How to educate the morons who hog the outside lanes, and what will happen next time there's fog.
On the runs I've been doing up and down the Coast road, especially when you get over the Mussafah bridge, I've noticed almost everyone sticks to a reasonable speed. There are cameras or something every two hundred yards and speed displays. It would be expensive to roll this out on every road, though.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 12:34 pm
Arrrrrrgh!

Dubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud of

I just wish that they would adopt the UK type lane system whereby once you have finished overtaking you pull over into a slower moving lane.

From what I see most of the problems on SZR are caused by:

a. The F&*^wits driving over 160 and agressively tailgating / flashing headlights - hopefully now more controlled... 90% appear to be local.

b. The guys sat in the middle lane only doing 100 - usually driving a Toyota Corolla while talking into a phone squeezed betwen their ear & shoulder - these guys are the real culprits!.... 90% apprea to be subcontinental.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 12:39 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dubaidog
I just wish that they would adopt the UK type lane system whereby once you have finished overtaking you pull over into a slower moving lane.

From what I see most of the problems on SZR are caused by:

a. The F&*^wits driving over 160 and agressively tailgating / flashing headlights - hopefully now more controlled... 90% appear to be local.

b. The guys sat in the middle lane only doing 100 - usually driving a Toyota Corolla while talking into a phone squeezed betwen their ear & shoulder - these guys are the real culprits!.... 90% apprea to be subcontinental.
I don't think anyone is going to disagree with your comments.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Meow
I don't think anyone is going to disagree with your comments.
I'll disagree....those in the middle are always below 100 - maybe 80km/h at a push and 99.9% of the time sub-continental
Old Apr 27th 2011, 12:48 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mogs
I'll disagree....those in the middle are always below 100 - maybe 80km/h at a push and 99.9% of the time sub-continental
Oh picky picky! You agree with the sentiment
Old Apr 28th 2011, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

But they're not advertising the speed limits, they're advertising the speed limits plus 20kph.

What's the point in having a speed limit if you're going to publicly advertise the fact that despite what the signs say, the limit is actually more. Why not change the signs to show the actual speed limit?

All throughly confusing as far as I'm concerned and open to abuse - what if you were doing 130 when the signs say 120 and you get stopped? The police could justifiably fine you even though there's been public announcements stating the limit is 140?
Old Apr 28th 2011, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millsyisland
But they're not advertising the speed limits, they're advertising the speed limits plus 20kph.

What's the point in having a speed limit if you're going to publicly advertise the fact that despite what the signs say, the limit is actually more. Why not change the signs to show the actual speed limit?

All throughly confusing as far as I'm concerned and open to abuse - what if you were doing 130 when the signs say 120 and you get stopped? The police could justifiably fine you even though there's been public announcements stating the limit is 140?
..... and it would also be nice if they adjusted the cameras so that the photo showed beyond doubt that your car was in the location, and moving at the speed, shown in their records.

I recently paid three speeding penalties (total AED 1800) of which one was certainly awarded while I was at home, with my car in its normal parking space. When I went to pay the fine, I queried this, so they produced the photo - a shot of the lower half of my radiator grill with my number plate below. It could have been taken while the car was stationary for all I know. Bizarre.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 6:35 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

They could always bring is Gatso down that route. I can't see Emiratis getting out of arguing that there was a need to be going over 200kph down that road, no matter how much wasta they have.

The other good thing is it can track which lane you're in (i.e. fine you if you're in the outside lane the whole way, unless there is heavy traffic in every lane), as well as fine you for slowing.