British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Can the body cope with 50C? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/can-body-cope-50c-783221/)

Kix Jan 10th 2013 9:47 am

Can the body cope with 50C?

From the BBC

Research has shown that when the temperature gets to 35C, accompanied by high humidity, health is put at danger. Once 40C is reached, it can be dangerous even with low humidity levels.

Suffice to say at 50C, the risk is even higher.
Well obviously they've never lived through a Gulf Summer. Hottest I saw on my car temperature gauge was 56c.

britexpat76 Jan 10th 2013 10:03 am

Re: Can the body cope with 50C?

Though the longest time I stand outside is about 3.5 minutes for a cigarette.

Bahtatboy Jan 10th 2013 10:14 am

35 Carbons? No problem.

****ing useless, misleading, counter-educational, ill-informed, moronic ****ing BBC. 35C is not a measure of temperature. These people write for a ****ing living: stating units correctly is (or ****ing was) taught in the early years of secondary school, if not earlier. Author, sub-editor and editor need to be ****ing shot. Slowly.

Kids read that shit (well, probably not, but anyway), and when they end up doing proper jobs it won't come as second nature to them to clearly state the units of what they're describing. Does my head in (because I have to deal with it from time to time at work, and usually get the response "Well, everybody knows...").

Yes, it is Thursday afternoon, I've had a long week which hasn't finished yet, and I'm on the ****ing wagon. :frown:

DOHDUBMAN Jan 10th 2013 10:24 am

63 degrees for me in the summer in basra. 55 in the shade! Worst thing was that its windy :(

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 10th 2013 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10474992)
35 Carbons? No problem.

****ing useless, misleading, counter-educational, ill-informed, moronic ****ing BBC. 35C is not a measure of temperature. These people write for a ****ing living: stating units correctly is (or ****ing was) taught in the early years of secondary school, if not earlier. Author, sub-editor and editor need to be ****ing shot. Slowly.

Kids read that shit (well, probably not, but anyway), and when they end up doing proper jobs it won't come as second nature to them to clearly state the units of what they're describing. Does my head in (because I have to deal with it from time to time at work, and usually get the response "Well, everybody knows...").

Yes, it is Thursday afternoon, I've had a long week which hasn't finished yet, and I'm on the ****ing wagon. :frown:

Pint?

Beakersful Jan 10th 2013 11:22 am

It's internal body temperature that's the issue, when you hit 44c your kidney valves can fail or something like that. How did they test? Crucifying someone outside without water and waiting till they starting crying? That'd be a real mans test.

Millhouse Jan 10th 2013 11:26 am

35 Carbons? No problem.

Just define it and it doesn't matter.

I had a long debate with a lawyer yesterday over the use of Project or Program. I believed Program was more appropriate as we would be doing a series of Projects. He wanted to call it a Project or Master Project.

In the end I won as I pointed out that its a defined term and you could call it Oranges if you really wanted.

scot47 Jan 10th 2013 11:33 am

I believe the rule is that when the temp reaches 50 Celsius, those working outside should stop. Anything over 40 is difficult. Learn from the locals and their attitude to work !

Beakersful Jan 10th 2013 11:38 am

There is a lower workplace temperature rule in the UK for white collar workers of 20c. But there is no upper historically. I used to work in a factory where we'd get close to the machines in winter, but step back a pace in summer, reaching in to grab the product of. We had this one female employee we kept a book on, when she'd faint in summer. It was known through the factory and when she fainted, someone got some beer money and the management would call a halt and send the canteent staff out with a trolley and orange juice to check on the workforce :)

scot47 Jan 10th 2013 11:43 am

The 50 Celsius rule is one that applies in the Gulf -at least in KSA and Kuwait. No need for it in UK !!

Bahtatboy Jan 10th 2013 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10475058)
Just define it and it doesn't matter.

I had a long debate with a lawyer yesterday over the use of Project or Program. I believed Program was more appropriate as we would be doing a series of Projects. He wanted to call it a Project or Master Project.

In the end I won as I pointed out that its a defined term and you could call it Oranges if you really wanted.

I agree totally. But I have never, ever seen in a contract a definition of "C". But its broader than that--there is a standard nomenclature / protocol for writing such things, and the lack of precision leads to misunderstanding. If you receive a job application from someone who writes: "I write in response to the advertisement of the 2nd of January 2013...I am used to working at 35C...", and his remit includes conveying complex ideas to educated people, how are you going to view it? Probably as badly as my poorly-drafted post...

Edit to say that I often have to explain the difference between liquidated damages (which are enforceable under English law) and penalties (which aren't). I'm happy to accept a clause titled penalties if, in fact, the mechanism described and wording used actually means they're liquidated damages--and I use the exact same argument as you: I don't care if you call them Nipple Tasers, its how they're defined that's the decider.

littlejimmy Jan 10th 2013 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10475114)
I agree totally. But I have never, ever seen in a contract a definition of "C". But its broader than that--there is a standard nomenclature / protocol for writing such things, and the lack of precision leads to misunderstanding. If you receive a job application from someone who writes: "I write in response to the advertisement of the 2nd of January 2013...I am used to working at 35C...", and his remit includes conveying complex ideas to educated people, how are you going to view it? Probably as badly as my poorly-drafted post...

Edit to say that I often have to explain the difference between liquidated damages (which are enforceable under English law) and penalties (which aren't). I'm happy to accept a clause titled penalties if, in fact, the mechanism described and wording used actually means they're liquidated damages--and I use the exact same argument as you: I don't care if you call them Nipple Tasers, its how they're defined that's the decider.

The job I'm on now has an interesting problem with LDs, namely due to the difference between delay and disruption (which aren't defined in the contract, I don't think). The clever client put in a clause allowing general damages, meaning the LDs aren't the sole and exclusive remedy available to him.

Bahtatboy Jan 10th 2013 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 10475133)
The job I'm on now has an interesting problem with LDs, namely due to the difference between delay and disruption (which aren't defined in the contract, I don't think). The clever client put in a clause allowing general damages, meaning the LDs aren't the sole and exclusive remedy available to him.

Meaning that one of the clauses is invalid, probably the LDs one (maybe both, with the same net result). At least he'd have to prove his loss.

claimsboys Jan 10th 2013 12:48 pm

35 Carbons? No problem.

:rofl::rofl::thumbsup::thumbsup:

desert-rat Jan 10th 2013 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10474947)
From the BBC

Well obviously they've never lived through a Gulf Summer. Hottest I saw on my car temperature gauge was 56c.

Car temperature gauges do not give a true reading.

Had + 50 C in Australia and a physically demanding job was done by whites.