British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Camping Firewood (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/camping-firewood-792344/)

Millhouse Mar 30th 2013 8:09 pm

Camping Firewood

Hello -

Anyone know where I can get decent (and cheap) firewood?

I normally get it from the desert villages but I don't fancy the drive to Al Madam tomorrow and I refuse to pay 50dh for a small bag in ACE that would cost me 10Dh elsewhere.

Cheers, M

Bahtatboy Mar 30th 2013 8:51 pm

Re: Camping Firewood

Seriously? This has got to be code. Like the Bold 3-in-1 box left visible for passers-by to see. Is the clue in "camp"ing?

Kix Mar 30th 2013 8:59 pm

The roundabout at Al Madam was where we always used to buy ours.

Sorry

hnd Mar 30th 2013 11:04 pm

Hi Millhouse, not sure how far you are from International Sh!tty but, when we were back in Dubai end of Feb, our taxi driver got lost and we ended up doing some circuitous route through there from the E44, via the Dragonmart exit, to get back on to Emirates Road in the AD direction (some taxi drivers really don't know where they're going - still). One of the cluster(****s)s we went through was like a builder's dumping ground - broken pallets etc everywhere.

If that doesn't work when we drove back to Muscat about three weeks' ago pretty sure that after the second new R/A on E44 before Lahbab police station (on the other side of the road in Dubai direction) by the vets place they were selling bags of firewood, too. We also saw bags of wood on the E44 at that little village just by the Margham turnoff.

Happy camping!

flares Mar 31st 2013 2:32 am

Charcoal souk in Abu Dhabi (Madam will be nearer for you)

Millhouse Mar 31st 2013 5:51 am

Thanks everyone -- well, thanks HND for the only helpful reply :) I guess, Lahbab it is.

Bahtatboy -- it's a genuine question. We do go camping quite often, although on this occasion the wood is for a firepit and I forgot to get some when I was offroading at the weekend.

shiva Mar 31st 2013 5:57 am

Please don't buy firewood here. There are precious few trees as it is and shipping g wood in is just insane. A quick trip to any new build area or industrial zone should result in a huge haul of scrap building wood and pallets.

Millhouse Mar 31st 2013 6:26 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10632912)
Please don't buy firewood here. There are precious few trees as it is and shipping g wood in is just insane. A quick trip to any new build area or industrial zone should result in a huge haul of scrap building wood and pallets.

I hear you.

Scamp Mar 31st 2013 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10632920)
I hear you.

Should have rung me at about 0715 this morning. I had serious ****ing wood.

britexpat76 Mar 31st 2013 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10632925)
Should have rung me at about 0715 this morning. I had serious ****ing wood.

A matchstick is a little less than he wanted.

Ditzy Mar 31st 2013 8:11 am

Small groceries in Mirdif, Satwa etc have the little bundles, even some of the garages as you head out of Dubai. Though like Shiva said if you have time to rake around, you'll find plenty! :thumbsup:

Scamp Mar 31st 2013 8:14 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10632965)
A matchstick is a little less than he wanted.

....and it was wet.

britexpat76 Mar 31st 2013 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10632971)
....and it was wet.

Incontinent after your birthday celebrations matey? Happy birthday BTW

Scamp Mar 31st 2013 8:30 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10632981)
Incontinent after your birthday celebrations matey? Happy birthday BTW

I was in the shower....Cheers.

Sandboy Apr 1st 2013 8:34 am

Khawaneej - that little row of shops all sell them