British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Camera Question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/camera-question-860666/)

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 24th 2015 9:13 am

Camera Question

Afternoon all,

Shiva, Auto, Bahtat and the rest of you camera fiends, your help is needed and will be gratefully received.

THinking about a Go Pro type camera. Want something small, rugged and waterproof for holiday and then any other random stuff in the future. I'm not wanting to spend a fortune and I think the top end Go Pro's are too much for what I need. The Silver 3+ seems about sensible without being offensively expensive.

Now I'm looking at some of the Sony's (AZ1 etc).

Mainly want it for snorkeling that we will be doing (including some hopefully with Whale sharks so worth capturing), and to film snippets and bits from our travels. I'll be taking my big camera too, but fancy making a mini holiday movie with something small that will go in a pocket.

Any help, much appreciated. Don't want to spend more than, say, 1500 dizzers?

Ta
ScampenSpielberg

Irishbeekeeper Jun 24th 2015 9:56 am

Re: Camera Question

i know fvk all about cameras but just didnt want to be the 28th viewer of the thread without a response.
Hence....
*awkward silence*
so....hot out today aint it?
*chirp chirp chirp*

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 24th 2015 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 11683399)
i know fvk all about cameras but just didnt want to be the 28th viewer of the thread without a response.
Hence....
*awkward silence*
so....hot out today aint it?
*chirp chirp chirp*

hahaha. I know. Maybe I'm too much of a bastard to be worthy of assistance anymore.

I'm now down to these two;

Sony HDRAS200VR or GoPro (not sure which yet, getting reliable prices here is hard without trawling the top floor of Dubai Mall)

Irishbeekeeper Jun 24th 2015 10:02 am

Well tell me the exact model of what you want and I can get you the price, I wont know anything about its specs, but getting the original price shouldnt be an issue
got any links?

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 24th 2015 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 11683405)
Well tell me the exact model of what you want and I can get you the price, I wont know anything about its specs, but getting the original price shouldnt be an issue
got any links?

I'm finding prices but they're from indirect sellers on things like Souq.com. There's a few on the likes of Carrefour but I kind of need to go to a shop and ask questions.

Problem is getting sensible, useful answers in Sharaf etc isn't always straight forwards eh.

TheShed Jun 24th 2015 10:31 am

This could be your lucky day Scamp!!

Have a look at a Drift Ghost S. I have one for sale as I bought another kind more compatible with Cycling. I have the camera and tons of accessories, full underwater dive housing, selfie stick, clamps for motor bikes etc.

Have not advertised, but would be happy to sell to someone I know for WAY below original cost.

Let me know if you're interested to talk more.

Millhouse Jun 24th 2015 10:45 am

ISIS seem to prefer the go-pro.

Mogs Jun 24th 2015 10:46 am

Go Pro Hero 4 Silver is cheaper than the Hero 4 Black.

Silver has a screen so you can watch it (Black doesn't). Black has professional grade video quality (or something that 99% of users won't notice).

Hero 4 Silver is markedly better than the Hero 3 and worth the extra few dizzers IMO

I think there are technically better cameras that are cheaper

(a bit like buying a Sony MP3 player back in the day which was technically better and cheaper than an iPod).

GO Sport in Dubai Mall have both Go Pro and others plus accessories and the sales guy we spoke to knew the differences (which was a pleasant and unexpected surprise),

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 24th 2015 10:47 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 11683417)
This could be your lucky day Scamp!!

Have a look at a Drift Ghost S. I have one for sale as I bought another kind more compatible with Cycling. I have the camera and tons of accessories, full underwater dive housing, selfie stick, clamps for motor bikes etc.

Have not advertised, but would be happy to sell to someone I know for WAY below original cost.

Let me know if you're interested to talk more.

Definitely interested. Seems to be very similar to the Sony I'm looking at but has the screen which is a big tick I think.

What was good / bad about it?

Any ideas what you want cash wise for it?

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 24th 2015 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11683440)
ISIS seem to prefer the go-pro.

:rofl::rofl:

Originally Posted by Mogs (Post 11683442)
Go Pro Hero 4 Silver is cheaper than the Hero 4 Black.

Silver has a screen so you can watch it (Black doesn't). Black has professional grade video quality (or something that 99% of users won't notice).

Hero 4 Silver is markedly better than the Hero 3 and worth the extra few dizzers IMO

I think there are technically better cameras that are cheaper

(a bit like buying a Sony MP3 player back in the day which was technically better and cheaper than an iPod).

Thanks, I think the 4 Silver is a pretty strong option. It seems much of a muchness with things like the Sony and the Ghost. Except it seems to be a bit more pricey.

norsk Jun 24th 2015 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11683445)
:rofl::rofl:
Thanks, I think the 4 Silver is a pretty strong option. It seems much of a muchness with things like the Sony and the Ghost. Except it seems to be a bit more pricey.

GoPro is a bit sucky in my experience. Mostly because it eats batteries like crazy...

The Drift Ghost S is one that I have looked at in the past, but then I remembered that I don't actually need it..

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 24th 2015 11:00 am

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 11683452)
GoPro is a bit sucky in my experience. Mostly because it eats batteries like crazy...

The Drift Ghost S is one that I have looked at in the past, but then I remembered that I don't actually need it..

I've got that horrid guilt feeling that this is a purchase that I may not use loads, but I think I will, at least on this holiday a lot. Then it's just trying to find more use for cameras in general in my time.

TheShed Jun 24th 2015 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11683444)
Definitely interested. Seems to be very similar to the Sony I'm looking at but has the screen which is a big tick I think.

What was good / bad about it?

Any ideas what you want cash wise for it?

Absolutely nothing bad at all, I changed to a Garmin as I need integrated GPS. I'll PM you a proce

Millhouse Jun 24th 2015 11:02 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 11683457)
Absolutely nothing bad at all, I changed to a Garmin as I need integrated GPS. I'll PM you a proce

wanted. not needed.

shiva Jun 24th 2015 11:05 am

id say go pro for sports/helmet mounted stuff only

if you want an actual camera thats a bit rugged and waterproof then go for one and not a go pro.

plenty of options these days, all very similar and all more or less the same. have a google but i got given this one as a present and tbh its ok, does what i need and not much more but for swimming pics of the kid etc its up to the job

Underwater Camera | COOLPIX Compact Underwater Digital Camera | Nikon

dont expect stellar images but for holiday snaps and video these kind are just fine and probably more suited to what you want than a go pro