British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Camera (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/camera-741180/)

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 7th 2011 7:39 am

Camera

I know there's lots of camera and picture taking enthusiasts on here so some advice would be appreciated.

The Mrs wants a good camera for Xmas. She's had compact ones before and they're just shite at the end of the day.

We've looked at a few but I got close to screaming in the electrical stores - you just don't get left alone and told that only one camera is good and you should buy it. Regardless of it's spec.... anyway.

She wants a big optical zoom, some features to adjust and take different types of shots - but nothing mega complicated. BUT she doesn't want a big SLR.

I've seen a Samsung with a schneidersomething lens which is something like 16mp +18x optical zoom.....seems to be the best around between a compact and an SLR.

Can anyone suggest any other alternatives please?

Thanks

Naughty Picture Taking Scamp.

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 7th 2011 7:50 am

Re: Camera

http://www.samsung.com/ae/consumer/c...ail&returnurl=

What do people think of / know about this one please?

iamthestig Dec 7th 2011 8:04 am

Sony NEX or Nikon 1 system are both very good high end, non SLR cameras, with interchangeable lenses.

Your missus will get DSLR quality pictures with both of them, check out this site for a good independent review http://www.dpreview.com

Brains1983 Dec 7th 2011 8:35 am

Scamp

What your looking for is a "Bridge" camera. I'd been thinking about getting one for a while and got myself a Panasonic FZ45 a few weeks ago, still getting the hang of it and trying to learn about the manual modes, but already getting better photos than my previous camera (a compact Panasonic) and it will do me until I work out if photograhpy is gonna be a hobby or a phase for me.

If she is adamant she doesn't want a full blown DSLR, my recomendation is one of the Panasonic (there are higher and lower specd ones at a similar price range to mine +/- 1800dhs), or one of the S range from Fuji. Both at the mid market level (and price) of the bridge cameras.

If she is willing to give the DSLR a go (they have automatic modes and lenses that are pretty versatile so no changing every 5 minutes), nearly all the reviews I have read lead towards the Cannon EOS 550 or one of the Nikkon ones that the model number has escaped me right now!

Is it for taking your every day type photos, or is she a budding wildlife/ photographer?

kittycat1 Dec 7th 2011 8:37 am

your missus + naughty picture taking + optical zoom = snigger snigger

no Linford Christy eh Scamp :rofl:

Brains1983 Dec 7th 2011 8:39 am

To be fair, most of the bridge cameras are a little bulky (overcoat pocket rather then jeans pocket).

They also have CSC (Compact System Cameras), but I didn't look much into them as I liked the Panasonic.

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 7th 2011 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 9775122)
Scamp

What your looking for is a "Bridge" camera. I'd been thinking about getting one for a while and got myself a Panasonic FZ45 a few weeks ago, still getting the hang of it and trying to learn about the manual modes, but already getting better photos than my previous camera (a compact Panasonic) and it will do me until I work out if photograhpy is gonna be a hobby or a phase for me.

If she is adamant she doesn't want a full blown DSLR, my recomendation is one of the Panasonic (there are higher and lower specd ones at a similar price range to mine +/- 1800dhs), or one of the S range from Fuji. Both at the mid market level (and price) of the bridge cameras.

If she is willing to give the DSLR a go (they have automatic modes and lenses that are pretty versatile so no changing every 5 minutes), nearly all the reviews I have read lead towards the Cannon EOS 550 or one of the Nikkon ones that the model number has escaped me right now!

Is it for taking your every day type photos, or is she a budding wildlife/ photographer?

Erm this is for everyday / holidays type thing.

She wants it for this weekend at the golf, for when we go away on holiday, but wants one small enough that it's not a pain in arse or a burden...but needs to have a good optical zoom, without a massive lens.

If that makes sense.

I'll have a gander at the one you got.

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 7th 2011 8:41 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9775127)
your missus + naughty picture taking + optical zoom = snigger snigger

no Linford Christy eh Scamp :rofl:

Zoom is for holidays and at the golf / rugby.

Wide angle lens is for Scamp Junior.

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 7th 2011 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 9775132)
To be fair, most of the bridge cameras are a little bulky (overcoat pocket rather then jeans pocket).

They also have CSC (Compact System Cameras), but I didn't look much into them as I liked the Panasonic.

Panasonic looks quite big or 'deep' if that makes sense?

Brains1983 Dec 7th 2011 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9775135)
Erm this is for everyday / holidays type thing.

She wants it for this weekend at the golf, for when we go away on holiday, but wants one small enough that it's not a pain in arse or a burden...but needs to have a good optical zoom, without a massive lens.

If that makes sense.

I'll have a gander at the one you got.

Fair do's. I think the Bridges might be a bit big then. Google CSC cameras on the website someone mentioned above, I read a few reviews before I made my purchase.

shiva Dec 7th 2011 8:46 am

This was disussed a while ago

Canon g12 is my recommendation

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 7th 2011 8:56 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 9775147)

I like that.

Added to the list. Thanks mate.

TGFKASE Dec 7th 2011 8:58 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 9775147)

Second the G12. Just got a few months ago and the ease of use / pic quality is quite amazing.. Even a Luddite like me goes all David Bailey-ish ...

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 7th 2011 9:01 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 9775164)
Second the G12. Just got a few months ago and the ease of use / pic quality is quite amazing.. Even a Luddite like me goes all David Bailey-ish ...

What's the twisty screen like? Fall off in 6 months or a good addition?

TGFKASE Dec 7th 2011 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9775172)
What's the twisty screen like? Fall off in 6 months or a good addition?

Good addition, IMHO. Granted, like your wide angle lens subject, play with it too much and it might fall off, but if its only used when you REALLY can't see the subject matter with it tucked away, should last....