British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Call to Prayer Volume (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/call-prayer-volume-741571/)

Max the Dog Dec 11th 2011 4:53 am

Call to Prayer Volume

Anyone else noticed the volume of the call to prayer going up at an alarming scale?
We are in Umm Sequim and have 3 mosques close by.
Over the last few months the volume has increased dramatically and they are now also broadcasting the sermon after the call to prayer at 5.30am!

mentalist Dec 11th 2011 7:22 am

Re: Call to Prayer Volume

Originally Posted by Max the Dog (Post 9781699)
Anyone else noticed the volume of the call to prayer going up at an alarming scale?
We are in Umm Sequim and have 3 mosques close by.
Over the last few months the volume has increased dramatically and they are now also broadcasting the sermon after the call to prayer at 5.30am!

It's actually caused by the weather. The reduction in ambient humidity produces a commensurate increase in sonic amplitude.;)

Bahtatboy Dec 11th 2011 8:36 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 9781793)
It's actually caused by the weather. The reduction in ambient humidity produces a commensurate increase in sonic amplitude.;)

I really want to argue with that. But can't.:frown:

iamthestig Dec 11th 2011 9:12 am

To be really pedantic, it is due to changes in air viscosity...

Millhouse Dec 11th 2011 9:17 am

I can't help thinking they just turn the volume up now it's cold in the mornings and people want to stay in bed.

Max the Dog Dec 11th 2011 9:56 am

Its a pain....wakes the lad, us and all the neighborhood dogs, cats, goats and cocks...
And, since when has all the stuff after the call been broadcast??:frown:

Paracletus Dec 11th 2011 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9781911)
I can't help thinking they just turn the volume up now it's cold in the mornings and people want to stay in bed.

They bought new speakers that go to 11.

Meow Dec 11th 2011 12:21 pm

If the volume is excessive, you can contact the Municipality to ask them to investigate as there are limits. In the first instance you could try speaking to the local iman and explaining that the volume has gone up of late and ask them to reduce it again. You'll probably get a better response if you can get a friendly local to ask for you though.

auzdafluff Dec 11th 2011 2:36 pm

Meow's right. At least you haven't got the problem I have.

The two local Imams' are currently having a childish fight over who can be louder. Apparently several of the surrounding buildings management have complained about it.

:thumbdown:

Brains1983 Dec 13th 2011 11:06 am

Originally Posted by auzdafluff (Post 9782281)
Meow's right. At least you haven't got the problem I have.

The two local Imams' are currently having a childish fight over who can be louder. Apparently several of the surrounding buildings management have complained about it.

:thumbdown:

I've the same problem with the mosques outside my office. Two of them, having a go at who can drown each other out. fidiots.

auzdafluff Dec 13th 2011 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 9785735)
I've the same problem with the mosques outside my office. Two of them, having a go at who can drown each other out. fidiots.

It's gotten to the point where they're both broadcasting Fajr as loud as possible. I think they've decided who ever gets the most complaints is winning. The management of all the affected buildings really need to get together and sort it out, otherwise they're going to find a lot of people moving out when it comes to rent renewal time. :thumbdown: