British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Cab fares in Abu Dhabi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/cab-fares-abu-dhabi-591972/)

Bambi in Abu Dhabi Feb 17th 2009 6:26 am

Cab fares in Abu Dhabi

I have just been charged Dh 33 to go from Spinneys in Khalidya to Airport Road (KFC) and back. That can’t be right – can it? The cabbie said it is because Al Ghazal have put their prices up, but even so…

Was I ripped off, or am I just being tight?

Bison Feb 17th 2009 6:27 am

Re: Cab fares in Abu Dhabi

I have just been charged Dh 33 to go from Spinneys in Khalidya to Airport Road (KFC) and back. That can’t be right – can it? The cabbie said it is because Al Ghazal have put their prices up, but even so…

Was I ripped off, or am I just being tight?
You got ripped ..... :rofl:

Did you get in a Dubai Taxi?

Bambi in Abu Dhabi Feb 17th 2009 6:34 am

Well, I just called Al Ghazal, and they told me that it costs Dh 15 just to get in the taxi - before you even go anywhere!

I don't want to sound like some rabid old expat, but taxis here used to be cheap - didn't they?

Bambi in Abu Dhabi Feb 17th 2009 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 7292654)
You got ripped ..... :rofl:

Did you get in a Dubai Taxi?

So how much do you think it should be Bison? Cos I also think Dh 33 is effing outrageous...

Chris79 Feb 17th 2009 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Bambi in Abu Dhabi (Post 7292664)
Well, I just called Al Ghazal, and they told me that it costs Dh 15 just to get in the taxi - before you even go anywhere!

I don't want to sound like some rabid old expat, but taxis here used to be cheap - didn't they?

The Al Ghazel ones are notoriously expensive. I never try to use them. I always try and get one of the new silver ones, they have to put their meter on by law (some of the cabs even have pressure sensors in the seats!)
Or if not, I get in one of the smelly gold and white ones and agree a price before we set off if they won't put the meter on (sorry sir, my meter is broke etc etc)

If you feel like your getting ripped off (like you did!) take the guys cab number (normally on the badge on the dash board or behind his seat) and call the complaints/comments line. I know people who have had their money refunded and action taken against the driver.

Chris79 Feb 17th 2009 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Bambi in Abu Dhabi (Post 7292676)
So how much do you think it should be Bison? Cos I also think Dh 33 is effing outrageous...

No more than 20, I suppose if the meter started at 15AED this wasn't too bad an actual travelling fare.

Bison Feb 17th 2009 7:00 am

I have never heard of this 15dhs initial tax, I got a cab from Golden Tower (lifeline hospital) to the Hilton for 6 or 7 dhs last week.

Bison

Mischief Queen Feb 17th 2009 7:04 am

Was it one of the Al Ghazal limos or a hotel car? If they're not silver, or snot and white colour then no you weren't technically ripped off as you got in a limo and these do start at 15 or 20 Dhs.

jrudofsky Feb 17th 2009 7:07 am

Something to do with this?

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20...153921542/1042

Bambi in Abu Dhabi Feb 17th 2009 7:13 am

It wasn't a limo, just one that drives around the streets picking people up. I had a regular arrangement with him (work & back 5 times a week, college & back 3 times a week), but it was nowhere near as expensive as this. Also, he never puts the meter on, the money just goes straight in his pocket.

I just felt like a bit of a sucker, but given Chris79's comments below, maybe they really are that expensive these days...

Mischief Queen Feb 17th 2009 7:21 am

No - for a normal taxi that's ridiculous - even with the increase in fares... went from TCA to Al Bateen on the meter last night for 10Dhs in a silver al ghazal (one of the ones you hail on the street) through all the roadworks, traffic jams etc at rush hour!

B Bear Feb 17th 2009 7:25 am

Richest city in the world - why are you moaning?

Right the way it works is this:

Forgo your KFC today....:frown:

Put down the AED 33 as a deposit on a property that will be built in..... - doesn't matter.:D:

One of us will then buy it off you this afternoon for a bazillion AED.;)

Tomorrow they will sell it to someone else 2 x bazzillion.:thumbsup:

Go in taxi - pay.:D

have KFC - in fact you can have a bucket now..... :o

With balance of your bazillion put deposit on five more properties:cool:

Repeat from stage 1....................

You know it makes sense.

Bambi in Abu Dhabi Feb 17th 2009 7:30 am

Originally Posted by B Bear (Post 7292746)
Richest city in the world - why are you moaning?

Right the way it works is this:

Forgo your KFC today....:frown:

Put down the AED 33 as a deposit on a property that will be built in..... - doesn't matter.:D:

One of us will then buy it off you this afternoon for a bazillion AED.;)

Tomorrow they will sell it to someone else 2 x bazzillion.:thumbsup:

Go in taxi - pay.:D

have KFC - in fact you can have a bucket now..... :o

With balance of your bazillion put deposit on five more properties:cool:

Repeat from stage 1....................

You know it makes sense.

Sorry B Bear, but your post has gone completely over my head... can you explain it, please.

commander Feb 17th 2009 7:53 am

KFC's suck, what a waste of a taxi journey, plus they deliver.

oh sorry, you were off to work...:D

Bambi in Abu Dhabi Feb 17th 2009 7:55 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7292813)
KFC's suck, what a waste of a taxi journey, plus they deliver.

oh sorry, you were off to work...:D

:p

Although on balance, I would rather work there than eat the stuff...