Buying a Saxophone

Old Mar 2nd 2010, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

mikeleavingoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a Saxophone

Hi I am looking to buy a sax in Dubai, or at least get some prices on saxes that are available over here.

Does anyone know of a shop that sells a range of different sax's - Yamaha, Selmer etc. alto/tenor.

I haven't come across many shops, just one in Downtown Burj and also a in Dubai Mall that had 2 ordinary Tenor Sax's on display.

Any help or numbers of shops would be great... Otherwise I will get one sent over from Aus. Cheers.

Old Mar 2nd 2010, 9:21 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a Saxophone

there is one in Wafi and also one in IBN Battuta
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 11:12 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikeleavingoz
Hi I am looking to buy a sax in Dubai, or at least get some prices on saxes that are available over here.

Does anyone know of a shop that sells a range of different sax's - Yamaha, Selmer etc. alto/tenor.

I haven't come across many shops, just one in Downtown Burj and also a in Dubai Mall that had 2 ordinary Tenor Sax's on display.

Any help or numbers of shops would be great... Otherwise I will get one sent over from Aus. Cheers.

There's one in Ibn Battuta (2nd level) next to the gym (China Court)..as mentioned above.

Also Jollysun Trading sell saxophones (US$260 to $350):

http://www.netinstruments.com/saxophones/
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

DesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to have a look see on ebay uk, there are many and I'm sure you can work out the shipping with the seller.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_t..._nkw=saxophone
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 3:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

There's already too much sax and violins in Dubai..............
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 4:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

There's a music store at Crowne Plaza that's pretty good - it's called The Music Chamber. Give them a call and see what they have. They are a bit slow though - they're repairing my daughters cello and have had it for 11 days and I've had to cancel two lessons!!!
Old Mar 7th 2010, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really nice

Virgin also sell them. Mercatto certainly had yesterday, and MoE is likely to sell more
Old Mar 7th 2010, 5:03 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbies
Virgin also sell them. Mercatto certainly had yesterday, and MoE is likely to sell more
I saw one in Dubai Mall yesterday as well
Old Mar 7th 2010, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I saw one in Dubai Mall yesterday as well
There was a music shop upstairs at the far left hand end, in that shopping centre on the beach road that is fronted by Burgerking and The Automatic Restaurant.

Easy to see I was not born to shop!!!!!!
Old Mar 7th 2010, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Hi all, thanks for all the suggestions and information. It has given me a lot of different options. If any one else is every interested I might just post a little bit about the shop at Wafi. They have a great range of all different types of instruments. However, because the staff are not musicians themselves, they can not fix any of the little problems that sometimes occur to instruments that are hard to fix. In UK and Aus etc. there is usually one expert who tests instruments before they go on display. I tried two new Yamaha saxes out the packaging, and surprisingly, one had a busted key and the other a pad which would stick, meaning the note was wrong. Both of these are problems which would need to be fixed at a service centre, meaning another delay like the Cello mentioned above.. Probably being fixed by someone who doesn't really know what to do.

Ps. i have been to the dubai mall shop too and had a play wafi store a lot better for those interested (if any)

Anyway thanks again
Old Mar 19th 2010, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Thank you to all for their advice and suggestions. I have bought a sax, and if anyone ever needs any help/advice feel free to PM me. Cheers.