Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Buying a reet nice canny camera like

Buying a reet nice canny camera like

Old Sep 21st 2011, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a reet nice canny camera like

Originally Posted by alfrombarking View Post
I bought NIKON D 5000 as my first DSLR and its my biggest regret. I even upgraded it with 55-200 lenses but guess what? the stupid camera cant take razor sharp photos....they're always blurry and have tried every single setting you an think of.
Try wiping the vaseline off the end of the lens.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 6:56 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csdf View Post
Try wiping the vaseline off the end of the lens.
I've told you before that if you use Macro mode you don't need to get the camera that close.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 6:57 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Do cameras suffer from the humidity? do the lenses fog up?
Old Sep 21st 2011, 7:01 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Do cameras suffer from the humidity? do the lenses fog up?
Yes and it's something to watch out for if you have a dslr , storing damp lenses is a recipe for ****ed focusing mechanisms
Old Sep 21st 2011, 7:43 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy View Post
I'd say let's start at the start - what photos do you want to take?

Sounds simple - but it's not....

Do you want a kick ass camera that you whip out your pocket SNAP and there you have an awesome shot?

Or are you wanting the finesse and choice of aperture, depth of field, flexibility but off set against cost and kit bag that a DSLR would give?

Is it for fun or for results? Or both?

Do you want to go on holiday with it in your pocket or all the kit taking up all your carry on luggage? (mine does and that's not a big set up at all)...

Most of my first blog was with a 5 mega pixel Canon Cybershot, point and shoot - a good photo is all about the shot and the settings not the pixels etc. BUT you do need to be able to programme / use the settings.

I went then for a Sony A700 prosumer type DSLR - the flexibility with the lenses and choice of shot is a huge difference.

Personally I'd really think about what you want to do with the camera and go from there...

Bear in mind much of the cost on DSLRs can go on glass (lens) and once you choose a brand you are tied in. Canon, Nikon and Sony lenses are not interchangeable.

If you want to go DSLR I'd really think about pushing the boat out for a full frame body rather than traditional DSLR sensor size.

Checkout http://dpreview.com/ for detailed reviews and a great buying guide http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Guid...g_guide_01.htm...

Any cameras / uses you had in mind mate...?
Ok all, thanks for the advice.

Auto - it's more for holidays and stuff. Over xmas and New Year we're going to KL, Langkawi and Sydney for 3 weeks - mainly I want it for holidays, amazing beach shots, sunsets, monkeys in trees - all that sort of thing.

Nothing bulky would be a bonus but you see some peoples photos and they are so sharp and the colour just amazing that's what I really want.

I'm onto my 4th Sony Cybershot and as a little pocket camera they are ace, I've also got the Olympus Tough 800 which in all honesty I'm not impressed with at all, after 6 months it stopped working as it got water in it, funny for a waterproof camera.

So yeah, something not so big that is easy to use and takes brilliant, clear, crisp photos.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 8:03 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

90% of a clear crisp brilliant photo is achieved by the user not the camera. Most point and shoot pictures are crap because as users we dont think about the end result or how to achieve it.

When people paid through the nose for film and couldn't see the result for possibly weeks they took the time to compose an image and hold the camera steady. now we just fire away willy nilly without any thought to how we are holding the camera, whether there is any light etc etc

there are plenty of free online guides to taking better pictures but the 1st place to start is how you hold the camera, at arms length with one hand is a recipe for shite pics 99% of the time, thats why most users see an immediate improvement with a bigger camera, the minute you are forced to hold a camera properly and look at the world through a viewfinder you automatically slow down down and take better pictures.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 8:10 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva View Post
90% of a clear crisp brilliant photo is achieved by the user not the camera. Most point and shoot pictures are crap because as users we dont think about the end result or how to achieve it.

When people paid through the nose for film and couldn't see the result for possibly weeks they took the time to compose an image and hold the camera steady. now we just fire away willy nilly without any thought to how we are holding the camera, whether there is any light etc etc

there are plenty of free online guides to taking better pictures but the 1st place to start is how you hold the camera, at arms length with one hand is a recipe for shite pics 99% of the time, thats why most users see an immediate improvement with a bigger camera, the minute you are forced to hold a camera properly and look at the world through a viewfinder you automatically slow down down and take better pictures.
I agree, but my cybershot is ace but the DL pics I see are miles better, and that's what I want now.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 8:15 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Spugsy - if it's mostly for holidays I think I'd go with the compact option.

As noted the G12 gets very good reviews - highest rated compact on dpreview. This Olympus also is very good and is one of the newer "four thirds" cameras - this means much bigger sensor for more light gathering.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonG12/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusepl3/

These'll both produce great shots - though for monkeys in trees - the zoom of compact vs telephoto on DSLR are miles apart....

On the other topic - Mrs Auto & I were in KL and Langkawi for 2 weeks in August - loved them both.... On Langkawi check out Bon Ton & Temple Tree - beautiful places to stay. Also Datai (pricy) but all the monkey action you want...

If you want tips / recommendations for things to do / places to go / eat etc drop me a mail...
Old Sep 21st 2011, 1:22 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by Autonomy View Post
Spugsy - if it's mostly for holidays I think I'd go with the compact option.

As noted the G12 gets very good reviews - highest rated compact on dpreview. This Olympus also is very good and is one of the newer "four thirds" cameras - this means much bigger sensor for more light gathering.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonG12/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusepl3/

These'll both produce great shots - though for monkeys in trees - the zoom of compact vs telephoto on DSLR are miles apart....

On the other topic - Mrs Auto & I were in KL and Langkawi for 2 weeks in August - loved them both.... On Langkawi check out Bon Ton & Temple Tree - beautiful places to stay. Also Datai (pricy) but all the monkey action you want...

If you want tips / recommendations for things to do / places to go / eat etc drop me a mail...
Yeah we're staying at the Andaman which is next door to the Datai (Datai was £670 a night over xmas, eek!). We're there for Christmas and the 4 days afterwards, then 2 nights in the shanri la (unless anyone else can recommend somewhere nice for what is a very cheap £90 a night), then Sydney for NYE and another 6 days. Awesome. Guess I'll see you at the ball in October though?

Are these good then? I'd rather get something really good now than get something good and upgrade in another couple of years.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 1:39 pm