British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Buying a reet nice canny camera like (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/buying-reet-nice-canny-camera-like-733018/)

Spugsy Sep 20th 2011 12:23 pm

Buying a reet nice canny camera like

Ok so I want to get a nice camera, you know DL one to take some lovely pics of holidays and all that sort of thing.

I know nowt about cameras but am happy to spend say AED 3/4k on one.

Anyone got any tips?

MM I know you got one and your safari pics looked brilliant.

Cheers all

Bahtatboy Sep 20th 2011 1:11 pm

Re: Buying a reet nice canny camera like

Canon Powershot G12.

If you're not gowing to print your pics at anything larger than A4 size (and let's face it, most people only look at their pics on a computer or TV screen), you won't tell the difference between this and a full-blow DSLR.

Its more compact than a DSLR but bigger than a point-and-shoot. It'll allow you to point and shoot, but it also has the functionality of a full-blow DSLR.

I've got one (in addition to about 15 other cameras), and its my first choice most times.

They're about 400 quid-ish in UK, I bought mine in Dubai Duty Free--can't remember how much, but I think it was about 50 quid cheaper than I could have got it in UK.

"The Canon PowerShot G12 belongs to an awesome class of digital cameras that specialize in fixed lenses, advanced manual controls, and larger imaging sensors than competing point-and-shoot compacts. This type of camera is the ultimate professional's pocket cam, or the student's first weapon of choice."

Review here:

http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...ot_g12_review/

auzdafluff Sep 20th 2011 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9632132)
Canon Powershot G12.

If you're not gowing to print your pics at anything larger than A4 size (and let's face it, most people only look at their pics on a computer or TV screen), you won't tell the difference between this and a full-blow DSLR.

Its more compact than a DSLR but bigger than a point-and-shoot. It'll allow you to point and shoot, but it also has the functionality of a full-blow DSLR.

I've got one (in addition to about 15 other cameras), and its my first choice most times.

They're about 400 quid-ish in UK, I bought mine in Dubai Duty Free--can't remember how much, but I think it was about 50 quid cheaper than I could have got it in UK.

"The Canon PowerShot G12 belongs to an awesome class of digital cameras that specialize in fixed lenses, advanced manual controls, and larger imaging sensors than competing point-and-shoot compacts. This type of camera is the ultimate professional's pocket cam, or the student's first weapon of choice."

Review here:

http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...ot_g12_review/

I'd second that. Either that or the Nikon Coolpix P7000.

I currently have a D40 and I'm looking to buy either a G12 or P7000 in the next couple of months.

MacScot Sep 20th 2011 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9632035)
Ok so I want to get a nice camera, you know DL one to take some lovely pics of holidays and all that sort of thing.

Anyone got any tips?

Cheers all

If you're going to spend that amount, why not get a Sony HD handycam (or equivalent) - it gives you high quality HD videos as well as/or 12 MB (megapixel?) photos. Kills two birds with one stone!

Spugsy Sep 20th 2011 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 9632379)
If you're going to spend that amount, why not get a Sony HD handycam (or equivalent) - it gives you high quality HD videos as well as/or 12 MB (megapixel?) photos. Kills two birds with one stone!

I have no need ever for a camcorder.

Keep the suggestions coming in though please.

MM what do you use? And Auto of course?

Bahtatboy Sep 20th 2011 3:30 pm

Don't get hooked on megapixels. Canon actually reduced the number of megapixels on the v12 version of the PowerShot, for good reasons.

Most camcorders don't give brilliant still shots, and certainly don't have the functionality of a still camera, or allow the same amount of control. And most modern still cameras can take pretty decent movies.

However, if Spugsy is more into movies than stills, then perhaps that's the way to go.:)

Edit: Spugsy replied while I was typing. As you were, then--except for the bit about megapixels.

norsk Sep 20th 2011 5:42 pm

I wanted a new camera recently and since I already have a DSLR (Pentax iST D or something - it's a few years old now but still takes cracking pics) and a waterproof/bounceproof job (Olympus mju tough 8000 which is brilliant and neither my wife nor son has yet to manage to destroy it and it has been dropped numerous times, and of course there was the mandatory episode where I dropped it into my pint to shock my friends when it was new) after much deliberation I bought the Fujifilm Finepix F550 which is no less than 16 megapixel, has a 15x optical zoom, is point and shoot size, has manual settings and can shoot in RAW).

I have never had a better camera with more functionality, and it only cost about AED1500....Bargain!

Autonomy Sep 20th 2011 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9632035)

Anyone got any tips?

Cheers all

I'd say let's start at the start - what photos do you want to take?

Sounds simple - but it's not....

Do you want a kick ass camera that you whip out your pocket SNAP and there you have an awesome shot?

Or are you wanting the finesse and choice of aperture, depth of field, flexibility but off set against cost and kit bag that a DSLR would give?

Is it for fun or for results? Or both?

Do you want to go on holiday with it in your pocket or all the kit taking up all your carry on luggage? (mine does and that's not a big set up at all)...

Most of my first blog was with a 5 mega pixel Canon Cybershot, point and shoot - a good photo is all about the shot and the settings not the pixels etc. BUT you do need to be able to programme / use the settings.

I went then for a Sony A700 prosumer type DSLR - the flexibility with the lenses and choice of shot is a huge difference.

Personally I'd really think about what you want to do with the camera and go from there...

Bear in mind much of the cost on DSLRs can go on glass (lens) and once you choose a brand you are tied in. Canon, Nikon and Sony lenses are not interchangeable.

If you want to go DSLR I'd really think about pushing the boat out for a full frame body rather than traditional DSLR sensor size.

Checkout http://dpreview.com/ for detailed reviews and a great buying guide http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Guid...g_guide_01.htm...

Any cameras / uses you had in mind mate...?

shiva Sep 20th 2011 7:02 pm

G12
Don't even look at any other options if your not sure why you want. If you decide your into photography upgrade to a dslr later.

G12 will do pretty much everything a full size slr will do minus the lenses and ability to blow up to bigger thn a4. I think it does 720 video as well

I have a g9 and have used it for years, awesome bit of kit, so good that pics from it have been used commercially in preference to dslr pics.

Hello.Kitty Sep 20th 2011 7:54 pm

I LOVE my Nikon D3100. It's a great entry-level DSLR and has all the manual settings if you want to get into that, but also functions brilliantly on automatic. It takes brilliant night shots, brilliant sports shots (quick moving kids) and the reaction time is fab. Shots are crisp (you would hope so!) and the colours are really good too. Apparently Nikon has a slight edge over the Sony equivalent for colour reproduction.

I take all my cake shots with it... and it was priceless when we went to Damascus last year.

littlejimmy Sep 20th 2011 9:08 pm

Got a Panasonic Lumix FZ-38 Bridge camera last year and it takes some very nice pics. It has full auto and a lot of manual options as well, but isn't full SLR. Cost me about £250

alfrombarking Sep 20th 2011 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 9633073)
Got a Panasonic Lumix FZ-38 Bridge camera last year and it takes some very nice pics. It has full auto and a lot of manual options as well, but isn't full SLR. Cost me about £250

I bought NIKON D 5000 as my first DSLR and its my biggest regret. I even upgraded it with 55-200 lenses but guess what? the stupid camera cant take razor sharp photos....they're always blurry and have tried every single setting you an think of.

I'm now I'm seriously thinking of selling it on e-bay and get myself a Canon.

btn the two Canon feels like Mac while Nikon is that stupid useless old unreliable Microsoft

Millhouse Sep 21st 2011 4:07 am

Polaroid 300. Nothing impresses the natives on safari than being able to give them the picture 30s after taking it.

Or a Panasonic Lumix lx5 - cheaper than a G12 and has the awesome leica lens

Oyibopeppeh Sep 21st 2011 4:32 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9633440)
Polaroid 300. Nothing impresses the natives on safari than being able to give them the picture 30s after taking it.

Or a Panasonic Lumix lx5 - cheaper than a G12 and has the awesome leica lens

Agree with the LX5 - it's pocket sized point-and-shoot with a proper (Leica) lens and a very simple menu. It also has a relatively large image sensor for a camera of it's (small) size and also has a good quality pop-up flash.

Hello.Kitty Sep 21st 2011 4:42 am

Originally Posted by alfrombarking (Post 9633218)
I bought NIKON D 5000 as my first DSLR and its my biggest regret. I even upgraded it with 55-200 lenses but guess what? the stupid camera cant take razor sharp photos....they're always blurry and have tried every single setting you an think of.

I'm now I'm seriously thinking of selling it on e-bay and get myself a Canon.

btn the two Canon feels like Mac while Nikon is that stupid useless old unreliable Microsoft

strange that. Did you get it changed under warranty? (This is where you really shouldn't buy it here). We had a faulty lens with our Nickon, which would jump, but we realised it int eh 1st week, and got it exchanged (actually got the whole camera exchanged because I was so not happy, they just said yes to make me go away - Dubai customer service I keeel you!)

Used the have a Panasonic Lumix compact which was very good, but couldn't keep up with how quick my kids are, didn't have the shutter reaction time (when I press the button, I want it to take the photo there and then, not in 2 seconds) and was pretty rubbish in low light conditions.