British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Buying offplan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/buying-offplan-800483/)

kittycat1 Jun 18th 2013 6:44 am

Buying offplan

Hi all,

In my search for a good buy to let property I have started looking into some offplan projects.

Has anyone any experience with buying offplan? Anything I should look out for and avoid?

Thanks

KC

mentalist Jun 18th 2013 7:08 am

Re: Buying offplan

Please don't consider buying off-plan here.:fingerscrossed:

mikewot Jun 18th 2013 7:10 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10762279)
Please don't consider buying off-plan here.:fingerscrossed:

:goodpost:

There are some horrific stories, I'll dig them out (or the links) once I get home.

nonthaburi Jun 18th 2013 7:12 am

make sure the developers don't need your money to finish the building !

Sandboy Jun 18th 2013 7:17 am

I can't think of anything that could possibly go wrong tbh

britexpat76 Jun 18th 2013 7:17 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10762250)
Hi all,

In my search for a good buy to let property I have started looking into some offplan projects.

Has anyone any experience with buying offplan? Anything I should look out for and avoid?

Thanks

KC

Research KC. My cousin just bought a 2 bed near Romford off plan and has probably made 20k before moving in. Plans always look good but go to the site and see how it will fit in with neighboring buildings and what views you will have.

You will have no issues with reputable developers in the UK and usually staged payments. I would recommend it but do the research of where it will be and how it will look finished.

Ethos83 Jun 18th 2013 7:21 am

Did you cave in to your landlord and agree to the higher rent?

I want to know before I give you any more property advice.

Cheers

kittycat1 Jun 18th 2013 7:23 am

Obviously not here- what kind of an idiot do you take me for?

Ethos it's under dispute at the mo so I haven't caved just yet!

mikewot Jun 18th 2013 7:29 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 10762300)
Obviously not here- what kind of an idiot do you take me for?

Phew!! Thought you meant here, UK can be OK depending on the developer.

nonthaburi Jun 18th 2013 7:33 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10762293)
Research KC. My cousin just bought a 2 bed near Romford off plan and has probably made 20k before moving in. Plans always look good but go to the site and see how it will fit in with neighboring buildings and what views you will have.

You will have no issues with reputable developers in the UK and usually staged payments. I would recommend it but do the research of where it will be and how it will look finished.

So there are people who want to live near Romford !!!

Never been the same since Hollywood's went !

Ethos83 Jun 18th 2013 7:44 am

Good.

Two advice when it comes to property:

1. Buy in the most upmarket area you an afford. More stable for a variety of reasons - higher income tenants are likely to be more respectful of the property and not treat it like shite.

2. Pay close attention to the catchment area the property is located in. The better the schools, the easier it'll be to rent out the property. Parents who care about good schooling are more likely to be the kind of tenants who will treat the property well.

Owning the property is half the story. The tenants are the other half. You want to do everything possible to get as reliable and responsible tenants as possible.

Another possibility is the buy-to-let for student accommodation, although there's a chance university enrolment will decline in the near future.

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 18th 2013 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 10762328)
Owning the property is half the story. The tenants are the other half. You want to do everything possible to get as reliable and responsible tenants as possible..

Good point. I had to meet my landlords once before they would 'accept' my ex and I as tenants.

It was literally 5 minutes of a chat and wander around the apartment and they were happy. Nice guys too.

kittycat1 Jun 18th 2013 7:51 am

I'm just looking at a 1 bed flat in commutersville so young commuters who hopefully would have a bit of respect for the place...

I have looked at a couple of student places around essex university but obviously students come as high risk tenants.

nonthaburi Jun 18th 2013 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10762331)
Good point. I had to meet my landlords once before they would 'accept' my ex and I as tenants.

It was literally 5 minutes of a chat and wander around the apartment and they were happy. Nice guys too.

and they let you stay there !!!:eek:

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 18th 2013 7:57 am

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 10762342)
and they let you stay there !!!:eek:

I'm an impressive guy.