British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Buying new laptop (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/buying-new-laptop-521436/)

bewildered Mar 13th 2008 2:29 pm

Buying new laptop

I need to buy a new laptop for my job in September and don't know whether I would be better off buying one in UK or waiting till I get to Dubai. Ideally I need to be able to hook it up to an interactive whiteboard for work purposes but obviously also need it for the usual applications. If I buy one in Dubai will I have problems adding software from the UK later? (not really all that clued up on computers as you can probably tell!!)

Thanks

Madam Medusa Mar 13th 2008 2:31 pm

Re: Buying new laptop

Originally Posted by bewildered (Post 6057938)
I need to buy a new laptop for my job in September and don't know whether I would be better off buying one in UK or waiting till I get to Dubai. Ideally I need to be able to hook it up to an interactive whiteboard for work purposes but obviously also need it for the usual applications. If I buy one in Dubai will I have problems adding software from the UK later? (not really all that clued up on computers as you can probably tell!!)

Thanks

won't work provide one for you...??

MM, xx

nottmbantam Mar 13th 2008 2:32 pm

There was a VERY similar question to this asked only last week, IIRC. THere was some discussion as to whether they really are cheaper out in the ME or in the UK.

Didn't follow the thread to its conclusion, so perhaps if you do a search on this forum, it may prove beneficial?

Good luck.

Laura_Jayne Mar 13th 2008 2:46 pm

Twas my thread! :) Here

bewildered Mar 13th 2008 2:57 pm

Thanks - still getting to grips with the forum. Looked at other thread - not sure I feel any the wiser as everyone seems to have a different opinion. I guess I will have a better look round in the UK to see if I can get a good deal here - wouldn't hurt to have some time to familiarise myself with a new machine before having to use it in a work environment.

The Dean Mar 13th 2008 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by bewildered (Post 6058039)
Thanks - still getting to grips with the forum. Looked at other thread - not sure I feel any the wiser as everyone seems to have a different opinion. I guess I will have a better look round in the UK to see if I can get a good deal here - wouldn't hurt to have some time to familiarise myself with a new machine before having to use it in a work environment.

My daughter just bought (well I paid for it, but you get the point) a Dell Inspiron thingy nutter bastard with go faster stripes from the Dell UK (not worldwide) website..........

Saved about GBP 125 compared to cheapest deal I could find out here in the desert........

Laura_Jayne Mar 13th 2008 3:07 pm

Just to let you know, I bought mine here. It's coming tomorrow hopefully.... I just wanted more variety, which I'd get in the UK. Bought it directly from Dell for about £500 with integrated webcam. Haha mine was an Inspiron one too!

bewildered Mar 13th 2008 3:09 pm

Thanks - seems to make sense to get it sorted out here.

Confucius Mar 13th 2008 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 6058059)
My daughter just bought (well I paid for it, but you get the point) a Dell Inspiron thingy nutter bastard with go faster stripes from the Dell UK (not worldwide) website..........

Saved about GBP 125 compared to cheapest deal I could find out here in the desert........

Aye Dell...It's indestructible...

Blue Cat Mar 13th 2008 8:16 pm

I would buy one where you are living, then if you have problems with it you can take it back. If you get one in the UK then bring it here and have problem with it, you can hardly fly home to get it sorted. If you do buy in UK ensure you have an International Warranty ;)

Confucius Mar 13th 2008 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6059296)
I would buy one where you are living, then if you have problems with it you can take it back. If you get one in the UK then bring it here and have problem with it, you can hardly fly home to get it sorted. If you do buy in UK ensure you have an International Warranty ;)

There are less and less items sold with international warranties these days...

Blue Cat Mar 13th 2008 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 6059315)
There are less and less items sold with international warranties these days...

what about Karama :p:p

Confucius Mar 13th 2008 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6059532)
what about Karama :p:p

Satisfaction guaranteed,until you want your money back...

Autonomy Mar 13th 2008 8:57 pm

I'm not entirely sure - however I think this rule applies.

Shop around and you'll get the best deal....

ok so far, however:-

In the UK / EU / US / AUS etc - this means typing the specs into a nice web site like pricerunnner etc and it spits out a rather splendid slim and tonic price....

In DXB to find the best price - you have to find Bank Street, cos Computer Street is next to it. Once there you have to walk from store to store in 50 degree C heat to try and negotiate the price down of some stock items that have been made elsewhere and imported here so will have additional freight costs included...

sometimes the ME is still cheaper - it's just a bit of an adventure to find the cheaper price... (by the way - sometimes the adventure is worth the saving and more...)

Originally Posted by bewildered (Post 6057938)

Thanks

Blue Cat Mar 13th 2008 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 6059541)
Satisfaction guaranteed,until you want your money back...

:rofl::rofl: correct! :)