Nannies in Jeddah

Old Mar 21st 2012, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Catface is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nannies in Jeddah

Hello!

We are moving to Jeddah shortly and have a baby who will be 2 when we arrive. At the moment the plan is for her to start Nursery full time in September 8am-12pm. We were just wondering about the monthly price of nannies. Would we need a full time one or do some work full time?
Many thanks in advance to anyone who helps us out!
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 12:11 am
Just Joined

JeddahWoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nannies in Jeddah

Hi

I am in Jeddah. I dont have young kids so dont have the nanny issue but some of the girls I work with do.

I cant remember the going rate but Its way cheap compared to the West.

However the people I know do have great difficulty getting reliable nannies .... and the ones they use are all people without an iqama (official residents ID) ... girls from Philipines or Sudan or Malaysia ... but basically they are illegal immigrants. I do know though that they may have a nanny for a few months and then she will just leave one day .... and the staff end up taking time off work while they sort out another one. Or they get a nanny and after a while they start to take a few liberties and then it ends in tears. I also know some nannies also have some of their duties as a maid .... cleaning, cooking etc.

I dont know how possible or feasibe it is to hire an offical nanny .... or even if there is an agency .... but I do know if anyone employs anyone else who is not Saudi .... then they have to become an official sponsor for her .... and you become responsible for her ... in much the same way as your hubbys prospective employer in Saudi will be your sponsor and the rest of the family registered as dependants. I dont know how you go about that but your husbands company should be able to provide info about becoming a sponsor for someone

Despite all of this however, somehow people get by .... and the girls I work with who use nannies manage .... they themselves are still here after several years ... they make it work. Its just seen as part and parcel of the challenges of living here and is accepted.

Oh there are nurseries and the like also by the way .... and I think there are some that ex pats favour as they are international ..... like a couple of the schools I understand.

In Saudi, people dont really use the internet, emails dont tend to get answered etc .... so your best bet is just to come here and start meeting people ..... at work, in the compound where you live, at any social functions you may be invted to as you settle in .... and just ask around. Thats how it works here .... its who you know that counts here so the more networking the better. You will find someone .... it just wont be plain sailing as in the UK .... its worlds apart ... but you can make it work .... lots of people do

Dont really know if this helps or just plain scares you .... I hope its not the latter

Good luck
ro