British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Buying a barbecue (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/buying-barbecue-605838/)

Spugsy Apr 27th 2009 3:36 pm

Buying a barbecue

Ok,

where's a good place to buy one? Can anyone recommend any particular one which is good, or...

should I just look at dubizzle or somewhere and get one from someone who is going home?

Also, mrs spugsy wants one with the gas, but to me that's not a bbq, it's just a bloody cooker outside, surely you need the coals to get the proper flavour?

What do we say ****ers?

:huh:

Blue Cat Apr 27th 2009 3:44 pm

Re: Buying a barbecue

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7519245)
Ok,

where's a good place to buy one? Can anyone recommend any particular one which is good, or...

should I just look at dubizzle or somewhere and get one from someone who is going home?

Also, mrs spugsy wants one with the gas, but to me that's not a bbq, it's just a bloody cooker outside, surely you need the coals to get the proper flavour?

What do we say ****ers?

there are plenty leaving, I would buy secondhand and then give it a good clean before using. I am with Mrs Spugsy, I would prefer gas too :)

Roadking Apr 27th 2009 3:46 pm

Ok,

What do we say ****ers?

Bought a gas one several years ago and it's been great. Done all sorts on it from usual bangers, hamburgers and hot dogs to roast turkey, leg of lamb and 4kg sirloin. Works really well and consistently.

However, I want BBQ now, gonna built one in the corner of the garden. I really miss the smell of the coals, the cursing getting the fewking thing to light and the burnt fingers moving the coals to one side, aaah BBQ.

However, however, I'm waiting till the middle of summer when they are selling ddiddley squat to buy one jus in time for the new season. That's cause I'm tighter than a ducks arse!

TGFKASE Apr 27th 2009 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7519261)
there are plenty leaving, I would buy secondhand and then give it a good clean before using. I am with Mrs Spugsy, I would prefer gas too :)

I brought mine over from the states, and I am with you, Spugs.. I use mine mostly with coals and mesquite chips, but have had the smoker on a couple of times.. Just have to make sure the neighbours dont have washing on the line...lol

NorthernLad Apr 28th 2009 10:37 am

Ok,

What do we say ****ers?

We used to have a proper one, Weber from Ace. I always said I'd never bother with a gas one.

Then moved to apartment and got a gas one, far better (OK not quite the same taste, but much easier to clean).

The best selection of gas ones I could find was in Carrefour.

Spugsy Apr 28th 2009 10:44 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 7522076)
We used to have a proper one, Weber from Ace. I always said I'd never bother with a gas one.

Then moved to apartment and got a gas one, far better (OK not quite the same taste, but much easier to clean).

The best selection of gas ones I could find was in Carrefour.

great, cheers all.

moto111 Apr 28th 2009 12:10 pm

Ok,

What do we say ****ers?

why don't you please both parties, get a great gas one for Mrs Spugsy and for you get the disposable tray ones to cook your stuff on????

Blue Cat Apr 28th 2009 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7522107)
great, cheers all.

PM me an invite ;)

Spugsy Apr 28th 2009 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7522424)
PM me an invite ;)

I used to do these lovely swordfish in a lime and vodka marinade skewers back home, mmmm!

rowell Apr 28th 2009 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7522459)
I used to do these lovely swordfish in a lime and vodka marinade skewers back home, mmmm!

Sounds just the ticket, take it your meetings finished and your feeling better;)

Blue Cat Apr 28th 2009 12:37 pm

aye that'll do nicely :)

Spugsy Apr 28th 2009 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by rowell (Post 7522473)
Sounds just the ticket, take it your meetings finished and your feeling better;)

had a big burger and a nice cup of tea and feeling canny, got a footy match at 9pm mind you,

uuurgh.

Emerald_Eyes Apr 28th 2009 1:27 pm

You've got to get charcoal - its the only real bbq.

Prawns in lemon and garlic butter still in the shell and butternut scored and marinated in chilli oil and of course borewors and mint lamb chops. I'm so hungry now!

Blue Cat Apr 28th 2009 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Emerald_Eyes (Post 7522639)
You've got to get charcoal - its the only real bbq.

Prawns in lemon and garlic butter still in the shell and butternut scored and marinated in chilli oil and of course borewors and mint lamb chops. I'm so hungry now!

I think Spugsy better hurry up and get this BBQ

Bambi in Abu Dhabi Apr 28th 2009 1:36 pm

Yeah, come on Spugs - invite us all round!

I've got a gas barbecue and I have to say, I much prefer the coal ones.