Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Buying Alcohol Outside Dubai

Buying Alcohol Outside Dubai

Old Apr 18th 2013, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying Alcohol Outside Dubai

The story of people being followed into Sharjah and then tricked into handing over cash is not new. The readers' comments are quite interesting. My concern is that the red UAE Alcohol Licence only entitle you to consume alcohol at home, so wouldn't the driver still be fined even if he had a licence?
http://gulfnews.com/about-gulf-news/...ctim-1.1171910
Old Apr 18th 2013, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

BinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying Alcohol Outside Dubai

The rules in the old licence book (before it became a card) said you were allowed to purchase at the nearest available shop to your home and drive it home. i.e. live in Dxb then buy it in Dxb. Don't know since it became a card where the rules are, but they're bound to be somewhere online and I don't suppose they've changed much.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

winter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mentalist
The story of people being followed into Sharjah and then tricked into handing over cash is not new. The readers' comments are quite interesting. My concern is that the red UAE Alcohol Licence only entitle you to consume alcohol at home, so wouldn't the driver still be fined even if he had a licence?
http://gulfnews.com/about-gulf-news/...ctim-1.1171910
You cannot bring alcohol from one emirate to another, even if you have a licence, your licence only lets you buy alcohol in dubai
Old Apr 18th 2013, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

abi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud of

when the penalties are so high why would these people break the law in the first place?! Do hope the gang/s get a comeuppance though. Maybe someone who is about leave anyway could set themselves up and call the police themselves and report blackmail
Old Apr 19th 2013, 6:50 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

abi31 if you legally buy in Dubai the choice is limited, prices high and they add an extra 30% tax. Go to some of these other places and the choice is enormous and the prices more reasonable with no government mark up. I myself went to one this morning (my alcohol licence ran out end of last month) and drove back without incident. I do wonder about these tales because I've never met anyone who has fallen for it, just lots of stories. It would be very easy to spot someone tailing you and just park up until they pass.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

If the victim was a Dubai expatriate, surely it would have been safer to use the main trunk roads rather than risk passing through Sharjah city centre. Alternatively, drive the extra mile and do your shopping at one of the tax free outlets in RAK.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 6:56 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Oh mental one I totally agree, Sharjah is not a nice place to drive through. If you're going to Barracuda it's an easy drive up the old Emirates Road and for variety I come back on the new Emirates Road. 139 Kph all the way on cruise control watching the locals get flashed as they zoom by, or suddenly apply the brakes when they spot the cameras
Old Apr 19th 2013, 7:27 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
Oh mental one I totally agree, Sharjah is not a nice place to drive through. If you're going to Barracuda it's an easy drive up the old Emirates Road and for variety I come back on the new Emirates Road. 139 Kph all the way on cruise control watching the locals get flashed as they zoom by, or suddenly apply the brakes when they spot the cameras
Exactly - I always use the new Emirates Road (the 611) - conveniently it takes you to the exact junction on the 311 for Barracuda and at the weekend it is empty.

I only every keep a close eye on other cars on the stretch from Barracuda to the 611
Old Apr 19th 2013, 7:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Autonomy
I only every keep a close eye on other cars on the stretch from Barracuda to the 611
And the other eye on the loose camels and donkeys/mules on that stretch!
Old Apr 19th 2013, 8:20 am