Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Buttered Cats - Discuss

Buttered Cats - Discuss

Old Jan 21st 2008, 12:43 pm
Sat on the fence ......

Rumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buttered Cats - Discuss

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
and so you should...it wasn't exactly difficult to identify...

MM, xx
So you knew what it was then MM

RT x
Old Jan 21st 2008, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rumble Tumble
So you knew what it was then MM

RT x
course i did...didn't you...??

MM, xx
Old Jan 21st 2008, 12:49 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Really? What gets mined in the UAE?
No mines in the UAE I can think of - some in Oman and KSA. I was talking about previous work I have done in Papua New Guinea, The Philippines, Australia and New Caledonia.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

MM, xx
Ah, an expert in the mouths of urchins.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
No mines in the UAE I can think of - some in Oman and KSA. I was talking about previous work I have done in Papua New Guinea, The Philippines, Australia and New Caledonia.
So how bad is the environmental impact on marine life - the property companies say that they are creating environments for new reefs to grow but I thought that they took centuries to grow back? The diving in Dubai really sucks, I know that much...
Old Jan 21st 2008, 1:04 pm
Sat on the fence ......

Rumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond repute

MM, xx
No i was having a good look at it, i thought plant, obviously had my rose tinted specs on again
Old Jan 21st 2008, 1:08 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rumble Tumble
So from what you have seen so far how does it compare to other places that are more eco friendly.

I can remember in Baharain they had a smelting plant near Sitra/Riffa, it smelt disgusting, i always wondered about the conditions and quality control of waste disposal there.

RT x
Environmental legislation is weak in the GCC countries and, using the terminology of the UN, needs institutional strengthening. Openness and transparency come to mind. Have you ever tried to go on line and read the environmental impact statements for The Palms Trilogy or The World - I can't find them.

Where there are large infrastructure investments from the big international companies (e.g., aluminium smelters or desalination plants) they use much stricter international environmental standards - as they are beholding to their shareholders back home who expect nothing less.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 1:12 pm
A bubbly-jock...

So how bad is the environmental impact on marine life - the property companies say that they are creating environments for new reefs to grow but I thought that they took centuries to grow back? The diving in Dubai really sucks, I know that much...
During construction of The Palms, there was / is short-term suspended sediment impacts, which affects water quality (low visibility for divers). Many areas of The Palms are on sandy seabed, which is not rich in sea life, with only isolated patches of coral. The 4.5 m high breakwaters provide rocky surfaces and voids that are colonised by a wide variety of marine life, including corals and fish assemblages. So, overall marine diversity and biomass are likely to be higher than before, despite the large footprints of The Palms. Between the palm fingers, seagrasses are being encouraged naturally and via transplantation.

Corals grow as soon as they land on a clean surface. The staghorn corals are fast growing (1 year) others take longer (2-3 years) to establish a good cover, but certainly not centuries.

Sorry got to go the Aussie Legends quiz night now. See y'all.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 1:12 pm
Sat on the fence ......

they use much stricter international environmental standards - as they are beholding to their shareholders back home who expect nothing less.
Thank god for small mercies

RT x
Old Jan 21st 2008, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, an expert in the mouths of urchins.
one of my many hidden talents...

MM, xx
Old Jan 21st 2008, 1:24 pm
Sat on the fence ......

one of my many hidden talents...

MM, xx
....and they are many doll

T@ xx

Last edited by Rumble Tumble; Jan 21st 2008 at 1:27 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

During construction of The Palms, there was / is short-term suspended sediment impacts, which affects water quality (low visibility for divers). Many areas of The Palms are on sandy seabed, which is not rich in sea life, with only isolated patches of coral. The 4.5 m high breakwaters provide rocky surfaces and voids that are colonised by a wide variety of marine life, including corals and fish assemblages. So, overall marine diversity and biomass are likely to be higher than before, despite the large footprints of The Palms. Between the palm fingers, seagrasses are being encouraged naturally and via transplantation.

Corals grow as soon as they land on a clean surface. The staghorn corals are fast growing (1 year) others take longer (2-3 years) to establish a good cover, but certainly not centuries.

Sorry got to go the Aussie Legends quiz night now. See y'all.
Speaking of which shouldn't the intrepid BE team be making tracks for legends, too, so that MH can have her terets moment and MM her blonde one?

Thanks for the info MacS - good to know that diving in Dubai is likely to get better at some stage. Who would have thought that buttery cats would end up as an informative discussion!!

Have a nice evening, all, am off to Tapas land now.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 2:03 pm
Sat on the fence ......

Speaking of which shouldn't the intrepid BE team be making tracks for legends, too, so that MH can have her terets moment and MM her blonde one?

Thanks for the info MacS - good to know that diving in Dubai is likely to get better at some stage. Who would have thought that buttery cats would end up as an informative discussion!!

Have a nice evening, all, am off to Tapas land now.
No we are all having a night off tonight in anticipation of thurs
Old Jan 21st 2008, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

A cat always lands on it's feet.
Toast always lands buttered-side down.

So if I take my cat and strap a piece of toast (buttered side up) onto his back, and then throw him out of the window, which side up will he land?
Just arrived so I'm afraid I'm going back on topic.....

Forget the cats - I'm thinking about the toast.

I had heard this thing about toast always lands the same way up (ie buttered side down), and discovered to my chagrin that it was true.

But you lot really must be stupid...... you should do what I do these days......

........ drop the toast BEFORE YOU BUTTER IT........
Old Jan 21st 2008, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

If you throw a cat from a tall building and noone is around to hear it, does it make a noise?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.