Burka Ban

Old Apr 19th 2011, 5:28 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Burka Ban

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Don't go all Glenn Beck on us, Norm, eh?
I really do resent even being compared to that sad little idiot.

Don't go all American on us and start putting people in one of two political camps based on their views of certain issues....

N.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 5:30 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Am glad to see multiculturalism is Britain is continuing to enrich society...

http://en.news.maktoob.com/200900006...n_/Article.htm
Old Apr 19th 2011, 5:32 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I really do resent even being compared to that sad little idiot.

Don't go all American on us and start putting people in one of two political camps based on their views of certain issues....

N.
Don't be like that. I was pulling your leg. You talk a lot of sense, but when you start saying stuff about leftie elites being the real terrorists...well, that there is the kind of polarising, divisive talk you profess to dislike!
Old Apr 19th 2011, 5:35 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Am glad to see multiculturalism is Britain is continuing to enrich society...

http://en.news.maktoob.com/200900006...n_/Article.htm
That's originally from the Sun. I'd like to see other corroboration of the story.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 5:39 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

That's originally from the Sun. I'd like to see other corroboration of the story.
The same story was reported in The Times.

To me, any culture that wants women to be hidden is mysogynistic. All this talk of protecting them is disingenuous.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 5:44 am
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by Meow
The same story was reported in The Times.

To me, any culture that wants women to be hidden is mysogynistic. All this talk of protecting them is disingenuous.
I don't disagree with that, the point I am trying to make is that the likes of the Sun and the Mail (and maybe even The Times, which is owned by Fox News owner Mr. Murdoch) have a track record when it comes to sensationalising stories on certain subjects. Yes, yes, so do the Guardian, the Mirror, the Independent and so on. For a balanced view you have to read across the spectrum and make your own mind up.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

sherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud of

Sometimes I wonder who the real "terrorists" are...the extremists or the leftist elite who support them at the expense of their own people, culture and country.

N.
Do you often attend Trafalgar club’s dinner parties and/or are you here in the Middle East to fund these parties? Do you believe in an indigenous British society? Do you want Britain to become Saudi –i.e. intolerant country?

I usually stay away from such discussions and personally I don’t give a monkeys what others wear, drink and eat as long as they are not enforcing their views and culture on me but since you decided to label all lefties and moderate decent Brits ‘terrorists’ because they believe in the concept that one should let others live their lives as they see fit, i couldn’t resist posting this note – apologies if I have offended you but you should be more careful and try to avoid posting inappropriate comments that may offend folks on public forms.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 7:11 am
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by sherri
Do you often attend Trafalgar club’s dinner parties and/or are you here in the Middle East to fund these parties? Do you believe in an indigenous British society? Do you want Britain to become Saudi –i.e. intolerant country?

I usually stay away from such discussions and personally I don’t give a monkeys what others wear, drink and eat as long as they are not enforcing their views and culture on me but since you decided to label all lefties and moderate decent Brits ‘terrorists’ because they believe in the concept that one should let others live their lives as they see fit, i couldn’t resist posting this note – apologies if I have offended you but you should be more careful and try to avoid posting inappropriate comments that may offend folks on public forms.
Run for the hills!
Old Apr 19th 2011, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

sherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud of

Run for the hills!
Old Apr 19th 2011, 7:17 am
Excess Baggage

Oh yeah. There aren't any hills here.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 7:22 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm all for one doing whatever makes them happy and the British keen support for individualism is one to never be taken for granted.

But I am not in support of a certain religion seemingly receiving special privileges and exemptions and being treated with extra soft gloves because it is a certain religion. And I'm not in support of the authorities keeping quiet when members of the said religion go around making nuisances of themselves, criticising British society while exploiting it to the full and getting away with attacking/destroying symbols of British culture, when other groups in the UK aren't allowed to do the same.

Ask yourself, dear lady, why Hindu women wearing saris or African women in their robes are never such a hot topic in the UK, but the burka is.

Old Apr 19th 2011, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Oh yeah. There aren't any hills here.
How about Burj al Khalifa? it's bloody expensive to get to the top though!!

Can try Dubai Outlet mall!! Brits don’t fancy that, particularly the far right but hidden gem for the lefties though , i have only seen the Russians there
Old Apr 19th 2011, 7:43 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

the point is that people covering their faces does make a lot of people uncomfortable and impinges on their quality of life.

Yes, scoff away, if you are prone to do so, but I know that my very elderly grandmother gets very unsettled when there are a group of teens nearby and I really don't think she'd get on the same bus as someone who was wearing a veil, balaclava or hoodie pulled down - not because she's racist or not open-minded enough, just because she feels vulnerable and scared by it. Should she have to "get over" it? In reality, she would stop going out, hide away and be scared in her own country and home town... and that is simply not on.

I think it's actually far, far more simple that it's being made to be. Any garment that hides a person's face and/or identity is banned in a public place - be it balaclava, motorbike helmet, hoodie, or a black bit of material. I also find it funny that when it's convenient, it's a "traditional dress" but when they're not allowed it, it becomes a religious item.

That's in fact why France had to clearly name it when they banned the scarf in schools - religious items had been banned in schools since the 19th century, but very conveniently it "was just a traditional regional garment", so allowed. But you can't have your cake and eat it. Once people started talking about not being able to remove it when asked due to religious reasons, they sealed the deal, so to speak.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ethos83
I'm all for one doing whatever makes them happy and the British keen support for individualism is one to never be taken for granted.

But I am not in support of a certain religion seemingly receiving special privileges and exemptions and being treated with extra soft gloves because it is a certain religion. And I'm not in support of the authorities keeping quiet when members of the said religion go around making nuisances of themselves, criticising British society while exploiting it to the full and getting away with attacking/destroying symbols of British culture, when other groups in the UK aren't allowed to do the same.

Ask yourself, dear lady, why Hindu women wearing saris or African women in their robes are never such a hot topic in the UK, but the burka is.
Dear lady?? i must admit i have a weird nickname, I blame my parents - Shearer became Sherri!!!

I don’t disagree with you however there is much more to this ‘discussion/hatred’ than just a simplistic comparison between a Burka, Sari’s and African robes. The truth is Abrahamic religions dominate the world and have a history of disagreements, incompatibilities and influencing each other’s views and values etc.. But let’s not go there and just stick to the basics respect the human race and live and let live no point in wasting energy on useless topics.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 7:57 am
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point

Sometimes I wonder who the real "terrorists" are...the extremists or the leftist elite who support them at the expense of their own people, culture and country.

N.
Interesting comment, seeing as how much of "culture" is in a state of flux; is there a particular British culture or era of British culture you would like frozen in time that we all should live by?

How about Victorian Britain?

This strikes me as typical of most expats by the way, who think they are living some kind of overseas adventure by living in Dubai in gated or expat communities, eating their English breakfasts from Waitrose, watching BBC world news and drinking in the Red Lion.

Who then complain about how foreigners in the UK never integrated. Bloody hell

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.