Burka Ban

Old Apr 20th 2011, 3:39 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Burka Ban

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
... on the other hand, think to Spain, which really prospered in Moorish rule, who later got kicked out by a very bloodthirsty pair of Christians.
Good point but for every Andalusia (which was as much a Jewish and Christian effort to be fair) we have two Ottoman purges and attempted genocides.

Once the Englightenment came to the West things rapidly changed...now many Muslims move to the West because they are actually freer to practice their religion as they see fit rather than how some mad mullah tells them. It's just a pity we seem just as happy to import the fundamentalists as we do the pacifists and reformists.

N.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 3:42 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Good point but for every Andalusia (which was as much a Jewish and Christian effort to be fair) we have two Ottoman purges and attempted genocides.

Once the Englightenment came to the West things rapidly changed...now many Muslims move to the West because they are actually freer to practice their religion as they see fit rather than how some mad mullah tells them. It's just a pity we seem just as happy to import the fundamentalists as we do the pacifists and reformists.

N.
Yeah, well it's rather difficult to tell the fundy-mentalists apart from the moderates. ASking them to fill in a card on the plane with the question: "Are you coming to the UK to blow us to Kingdom Come? Y/N" might not work. If you then say, well don't let any of them in, it's no longer a fair and free society.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 3:45 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I mean to say tell them apart on face value...

Anyway, I for one quite like the sound of the call to prayer if it's sung by someone with a decent voice and it echoes round the sand-blown streets. It's exotic, init?
Old Apr 20th 2011, 3:52 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

I love the call to prayer. The mosque opposite me in Khalidiya had the most beautiful call most of the time. I can't hear it at all now unless I am driving down beach road at the right time. I miss it.

It reminds me of where I am. I didn't even mind it waking me up in the morning. Better than bloody racing cars flying over speedbumps...
Old Apr 20th 2011, 3:57 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Norm - why do you live in the Arab / Muslim world? I'm always amazed at your ability to rant pages and pages about it, dig up loads of (frankly unprovable) "facts" about it and yet still live here.

If it's just the money then that really is very sad.
I'm here for the experience and to learn. I could probably make more money in the far east now but am probably going to be around for a few more years.

Don't mistake my views on history or certain political opinions with an inability to get along with or appreciate my fellow man. My views on this bored are not reflective of my daily expressions or thoughts...It is possible to be highly critical of a place or thing and still engage it positively and constructively...if it were not no marriage would survive hehe.

Oh and if you have anything you think I cannot prove please do bring it to my attention - if I am wrong on any points I will happily eat my words...we're all here to learn after all!

N.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 4:01 pm
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by lullabelle
I love the call to prayer. The mosque opposite me in Khalidiya had the most beautiful call most of the time. I can't hear it at all now unless I am driving down beach road at the right time. I miss it.

It reminds me of where I am. I didn't even mind it waking me up in the morning. Better than bloody racing cars flying over speedbumps...
I do take exception to the early morning ones in Doha. They are in the wrong time zone, and can go off at 3.30am. I feel sorry for the faithful who feel compelled to pray at that hour.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm here for the experience and to learn. I could probably make more money in the far east now but am probably going to be around for a few more years.

Don't mistake my views on history or certain political opinions with an inability to get along with or appreciate my fellow man. My views on this bored are not reflective of my daily expressions or thoughts...It is possible to be highly critical of a place or thing and still engage it positively and constructively...if it were not no marriage would survive hehe.

Oh and if you have anything you think I cannot prove please do bring it to my attention - if I am wrong on any points I will happily eat my words...we're all here to learn after all!

N.
Good response, nice to see you are more balanced than what comes across on here sometimes!

On the not being able to prove stuff, I'm sure you have well research it (far more so than me for sure) - but my point is that all this stuff happened hundreds of years ago - record keeping was poor and hugely biased. Can you imagine trying to look at media reports and official records from today in a hundred years from now? You would never be able to figure out the truth. So, my point is that it's impossible to say 'this person started it' etc.

The reality is that it's all tit for tat. Always has been, always will be. We kill them, they kill us. After all, mankind's favourite sport after sex is killing each other.

The problem is now we are far more advanced in warfare. Their response - pick off the soft targets. We would do the same if we were in their position.

It will be interesting to see what happens when China runs out of drinkable water... they have a lot of military. They will make the muzzers look like angels.

Norm - yet again, you have forced me to break my 3 line rule. Only you have this affect!
Old Apr 20th 2011, 4:21 pm
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Good response, nice to see you are more balanced than what comes across on here sometimes!

On the not being able to prove stuff, I'm sure you have well research it (far more so than me for sure) - but my point is that all this stuff happened hundreds of years ago - record keeping was poor and hugely biased. Can you imagine trying to look at media reports and official records from today in a hundred years from now? You would never be able to figure out the truth. So, my point is that it's impossible to say 'this person started it' etc.

The reality is that it's all tit for tat. Always has been, always will be. We kill them, they kill us. After all, mankind's favourite sport after sex is killing each other.

The problem is now we are far more advanced in warfare. Their response - pick off the soft targets. We would do the same if we were in their position.

It will be interesting to see what happens when China runs out of drinkable water... they have a lot of military. They will make the muzzers look like angels.

Norm - yet again, you have forced me to break my 3 line rule. Only you have this affect!
I have never killed anyone after sex.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
I have never killed anyone after sex.
what about during?
Old Apr 20th 2011, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

I mean to say tell them apart on face value...

Anyway, I for one quite like the sound of the call to prayer if it's sung by someone with a decent voice and it echoes round the sand-blown streets. It's exotic, init?
Th one here on Friday sounds as if he wants to kill everything in sight. Foam in front of the moth does not even come close to it.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

sherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud of

It's always a sign of desperation and failure when people resort to personal attacks...in way you have done me a huge favour because you've shown your qualities to everyone.

I'm a known ranter and contrarian with strong views on many issues and topics. I've been in these forums for years and never needed to resort to trying to question people’s professional conduct as a means to win a debate on a very narrow subject.

A number of people on these forums do know me personally and professionally and some of them disagree with my views and I with theirs. Big grown up people can do that and still get along just fine, why they even do business with each other and go to each other’s birthday parties.

To suggest that I am somehow professionally incompetent or unethical because of what you think my political views are (based on forum posts or a blog I don't update to boot) borders on slander and libel. People are sued successfully for less than that. It’s only the fact that I am known far better by others than by you and am thus quite secure in my reputation (even if I am annoying on certain subjects ) that keeps me from reporting your comments to be honest.

N.
Now you are getting a bit personal, I had the decency to accept other’s suggestion about my comment that it’s distasteful and I quickly removed my post which actually was meant to be a harmless banter to lighten up things rather than a personal attack, I even put down delete reason as ‘inappropriate’, but you didn’t see that and quickly start questioning my ‘qualities’ and judging what kind of a person I am or may be – am a little upset but i know how to control my frustration unlike many fellow Scots.

Where is the freedom of speech!! And the thing about thick skin, us being adults and all that nonsense you have been posting.... How many times people give a straight answer on the bored or NOT reply to a comment with a little sarcasm!! Does this make you a hypocrite? A lot of what you have said also borders on slander and libel and a visit to the local so don't give me that rubbish.

Anyway i am big enough to say that I apologise if you felt that I intentionally questioned your professional competence – happy to buy you a beer if that helps.

I do have an issue with your perspective on civilisation and tbh i do think that you are a prick but that view may change as I don’t know enough about your previous life on the bored and what sort of a person you are in real life.

I hope that's the end of that.

Last edited by sherri; Apr 20th 2011 at 5:07 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherri
Now you are getting a bit personal, I had the decency to accept other’s suggestion about my comment that it’s distasteful and I quickly removed my post which actually was meant to be a harmless banter to lighten up things rather than a personal attack, I even put down delete reason as ‘inappropriate’, but you didn’t see that and quickly start questioning my ‘qualities’ and judging what kind of person I am or may be – am a little upset but i know how to control my frustration unlike many fellow Scots.

Where is the freedom of speech!! And the thing about thick skin, us being adults and all that nonsense you have been posting.... How many times people give a straight answer on the bored or NOT reply to a comment with a little sarcasm!! Does this make you a hypocrite? A lot of what you have said also borders on slander and libel and a visit to the local so don't give me that rubbish.

Anyway i am big enough to say that I apologies if you felt that I intentionally questioned your professional competence – happy to buy you a beer if that helps.

I do have an issue with your perspective on civilisation and tbh i do think that you are a prick but that view may change as I don’t know enough about your previous life on the bored and what sort of a person you are in real life.

hee hee doubt it....
Old Apr 20th 2011, 5:37 pm
Excess Baggage

Now you are getting a bit personal, I had the decency to accept other’s suggestion about my comment that it’s distasteful and I quickly removed my post which actually was meant to be a harmless banter to lighten up things rather than a personal attack, I even put down delete reason as ‘inappropriate’, but you didn’t see that and quickly start questioning my ‘qualities’ and judging what kind of a person I am or may be – am a little upset but i know how to control my frustration unlike many fellow Scots.

Anyway i am big enough to say that I apologise if you felt that I intentionally questioned your professional competence – happy to buy you a beer if that helps.

You'll buy him a beer but you think he's a prick? Can I upset you as well?
Old Apr 20th 2011, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

sherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud of

You'll buy him a beer but you think he's a prick? Can I upset you as well?
It's usually after a few drinks I change my mind!! Typical Scot mentality

Also, there are a lot of pricks at work but I still socialise with them –they know how i feel about them, am an honest person.

Happy to buy you a drink as well and you are not a prick , let’s hope Mrs never finds out, she is the ‘real’ IFA+HMRC+FSA etc.. otherwise there will be a levy on my ‘pocket-money’.

Last edited by sherri; Apr 20th 2011 at 6:43 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 10:18 am

Having thick skin is not quite the same thing has having your professional competence questioned on a public forum by someone who has zero professional dealings (intentional or not) with you is it? Especially when your reputation is your business...

That said I don't really care as I am well known around here. If you think I'm a prick due to my views that's your choice - it won't endear me to you but it won't register on my radar as it were either.

N.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.