Burka Ban

Old Apr 14th 2011, 2:03 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Burka Ban

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
nope, just treating the cause of the problem.

It's the same in strict Catholicism - only allowed 2 inches of flash below the collar bone and must always have you hair covered in church - so as not to distract the men from their prayers, poor souls, their minds wander so uncontrollably, so easily...
That's extremely sexist. My mind never wanders.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 2:19 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
That's extremely sexist. My mind never wanders.
hehe, I can imagine!

Maybe that's the main fundamental flaw - the only way to get men to concentrate on praying and not thinking about sex is to chop something off. Not a good way to get converts and spread the word though...
Old Apr 17th 2011, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
nope, just treating the cause of the problem.

It's the same in strict Catholicism - only allowed 2 inches of flash below the collar bone and must always have you hair covered in church - so as not to distract the men from their prayers, poor souls, their minds wander so uncontrollably, so easily...
do they apply the same rule for little boys? so that the priest's minds don't wander....
Old Apr 17th 2011, 8:09 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I have a question for the men of the bored (sic).

Women cover their hair/faces as an act of modesty, so as not to be tempting to me. Does it not offend you any way that it is presumed that you have little self-control and may act inappropriately if you saw these women's hair/faces?
I find it offensive that I am thought of as such a bestial creature that I cannot even look at a woman's face in the street without wanting to jump on her and make the beast with two backs.

I also find it offensive that these women think they are morally superior to unveiled women simply because they cover more of their skin in public. I've always maintained clothing is never obscene - only people. One only has to see the lack of manners with many of these so called religious people to know they far ruder than the people they think they are better than.

France, like any other nation on the planet has cultural and societal norms....if people don't like them they should live somewhere else. It's illegal in the UAE to wear scanty clothing or to be seen showing affection been the sexes in public - why the outcry when France puts into law normal behaviour like uncovering your face when asked regardless of your "beliefs".

N.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 8:31 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I find it offensive that I am thought of as such a bestial creature that I cannot even look at a woman's face in the street without wanting to jump on her and make the beast with two backs.

I also find it offensive that these women think they are morally superior to unveiled women simply because they cover more of their skin in public. I've always maintained clothing is never obscene - only people. One only has to see the lack of manners with many of these so called religious people to know they far ruder than the people they think they are better than.

France, like any other nation on the planet has cultural and societal norms....if people don't like them they should live somewhere else. It's illegal in the UAE to wear scanty clothing or to be seen showing affection been the sexes in public - why the outcry when France puts into law normal behaviour like uncovering your face when asked regardless of your "beliefs".

N.
I had same argument with a knob on twitter, I said that I can't go to MOE in a pair of shorts and a cut off top with my shoulders showing, as it is the rules of this country and I abide them. Hence the people living in France should abide by the rules of their host country. He was having none of it, amazing considering it didn't even affect him but no doubt some poor women who is yet to enter his life who is going to be hiding in public for the rest of her life.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I said that I can't go to MOE in a pair of shorts and a cut off top with my shoulders showing, as it is the rules of this country and I abide them. Hence the people living in France should abide by the rules of their host country.
I'm of the same opinion as you on this. We're in their playground so we have to play by their rules. Same should apply to anyone else living and working abroad in Europe.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 9:18 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
I'm of the same opinion as you on this. We're in their playground so we have to play by their rules. Same should apply to anyone else living and working abroad in Europe.
exactly, but alot don't see it that way and are saying it's racist etc. There is nothing in the Quran that stipulates dress, it just says dress modestly. It is a cultural decision to dress head to toe in black.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

exactly, but alot don't see it that way and are saying it's racist etc. There is nothing in the Quran that stipulates dress, it just says dress modestly. It is a cultural decision to dress head to toe in black.
See, their argument is that France, as an example, is a democracy that promises freedom of religion. Whereas these countries do not.

It all comes down to that they want their cake and eat it...and that, for the first time, is not happening.

So what better to do than to cry the usual...racism.
It's simple,and has been proven to work time and time again.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 9:31 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Alexa
See, their argument is that France, as an example, is a democracy that promises freedom of religion. Whereas these countries do not.

It all comes down to that they want their cake and eat it...and that, for the first time, is not happening.

So what better to do than to cry the usual...racism.
It's simple,and has been proven to work time and time again.
exactly
Old Apr 18th 2011, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

sherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud of

There is nothing in the Quran that stipulates dress, it just says dress modestly.
I thought you were reading Lord Sugar’s biography!!! Can I borrow the book please whilst you’re reading Quran?
Old Apr 18th 2011, 12:38 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by sherri
I thought you were reading Lord Sugar’s biography!!! Can I borrow the book please whilst you’re reading Quran?
read the Quran last decade nearly half way through the book and loving it!
Old Apr 18th 2011, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

sherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud of

read the Quran last decade nearly half way through the book and loving it!
Old Apr 18th 2011, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm I find this a tricky one, some women cover their faces in respect to their husbands and families, and as it is a tradition they are familiar with and one which they have grown up with they feel proud to do so. In a faith where upmost respect for your parents is valued incredibly highly it may be that there is a certain obligation to follow the traditions, but for some women they understand wearing a veil as they wear it to hide their beauty from others, and they save their beauty for those they chose to share it with - ie their husbands, it can give them a feeling on empowerment when people look at them wondering what is underneath. An air of mystery. For others, I am sure there are as many women who wish they didn't have to veil and this is where I become torn, women who are forced to veil by their husbands or families and whom must hate it and view it as an imprisonment.

Is there anything really wrong with traditions such as this? Is it brain washing, perhaps but as an atheist you could say the same about Christianity and any other religion. Does wearing a veil make you a better muslim, no of course not, but it shows respect to your family which within this society is important- is it right- from westerners point of view no, but we have had equal rights for decades.

I can remember as a child my father complaining that sikhs do not have to wear a crash helmet when riding a motorbike because of their turbans. If they don't want to live by our rules then they shouldn't live here type opinion. Since then I have dated a Sikh who wore his turban with pride and I learnt what it meant to him to wear it. To be stripped of it against his will would be devastating. For him his parents had fought against many forms of racism since the 1960's being first generation in the UK where there were called pakis etc it would have been easier to conform, to take off their turbans and to cut their hair but they stuck by their faith and tradition and continued to wear it and are now socially acceptable as there is more understanding towards them. Many Sikhs in the UK have some of the most difficult jobs, surgeons, doctors, dentists, high levels of education etc and deserve respect, because they wear a turban has nothing to do with it, however it has taken generations of british born sikhs to achieve this acceptance.

As the world becomes smaller and smaller and the muslim faith grows already having over 1 billion followers it is inevitable that you will get more muslims living in the west, perhaps a few decades down the line we will be more understanding to the faith and its traditions. Yes you could say the same about Saudi- surely I should be able to wear whatever I want in Saudi but no I would have to cover, but in a country whose traditions are so valued you have to respect that, in the west I think we have lost any modesty values so to compare the two is pointless.

Do I think women should be forced to uncover their face, no I don't, but I also think they should be allowed to uncover if they wish to.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 5:24 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes I wonder who the real "terrorists" are...the extremists or the leftist elite who support them at the expense of their own people, culture and country.

N.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 5:27 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Sometimes I wonder who the real "terrorists" are...the extremists or the leftist elite who support them at the expense of their own people, culture and country.

N.
Don't go all Glenn Beck on us, Norm, eh?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.