Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Budget cuts seen reducing number of UK police patrols

Budget cuts seen reducing number of UK police patrols

Old Jun 30th 2010, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Budget cuts seen reducing number of UK police patrols

One of Britain's most senior police officers warned yesterday of a reduction in the number of police patrolling the streets in the wake of the government's public sector spending cuts.

"Sadly we will lose people," Sir Hugh Orde, president of the Association of Chief Police Officers, said. He suggested that departmental cuts of 25 per cent signalled in the budget would mean significantly fewer police on the streets despite the popularity of bobbies on the beat.

In an interview for BBC radio's Today programme, Sir Hugh said: "Some services will have to be reduced I think I am very clear on that. Our role is to make sure they are the less critical ones, the nice-to-do things rather than the essential-to-do things."

http://gulfnews.com/news/world/uk/bu...trols-1.648054
Old Jun 30th 2010, 2:06 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Budget cuts seen reducing number of UK police patrols

Originally Posted by coffindodger
One of Britain's most senior police officers warned yesterday of a reduction in the number of police patrolling the streets in the wake of the government's public sector spending cuts.

"Sadly we will lose people," Sir Hugh Orde, president of the Association of Chief Police Officers, said. He suggested that departmental cuts of 25 per cent signalled in the budget would mean significantly fewer police on the streets despite the popularity of bobbies on the beat.

In an interview for BBC radio's Today programme, Sir Hugh said: "Some services will have to be reduced I think I am very clear on that. Our role is to make sure they are the less critical ones, the nice-to-do things rather than the essential-to-do things."

http://gulfnews.com/news/world/uk/bu...trols-1.648054
He's talking about England & Wales...it's devolved in Scotland, where more than an extra 1,000 police have been put "on the beat" in the last couple of years. However, to avoid reducing these numbers, police forces north of the border are going to consolidate and share resources, whilst losing duplicated office staff via attrition and without redundancies. So, lessons to be learned.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 6:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

They could of course sack all the police, and hand the responsibility for policing to 'outside contractors'..............

http://www.newser.com/story/93541/ci...lice-work.html

Sounds like an ideal opportunity for the mob, if you ask me.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 9:17 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
They could of course sack all the police, and hand the responsibility for policing to 'outside contractors'..............

http://www.newser.com/story/93541/ci...lice-work.html

Sounds like an ideal opportunity for the mob, if you ask me.
Sounds like Robocop...
Old Jul 4th 2010, 11:25 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Difficult to comprehend how the council--after having been judged (by who I don't know) financially incompetent to the point where the city was bankrupt--has not had its powers taken away. Sacking all city employees doesn't come across as financially sound--I would imagine the US has legislation similar to the UK's whereby the new contractors would have to take on the council's previous employees. Story sounds dumb enough only for the US. Or the UK.

They should go the Japanese route. Leave the police to do all the admin stuff--traffic violations, assaults, corporate theft and the like, and leave the control / policing of prozzies, drugs, liquour licences, gambling and so on to the Yakuza. I know which outfit I'd trust to get results.