British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   The budget (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/budget-791232/)

Millhouse Mar 20th 2013 4:13 pm

The budget

Beer duty to be cut by 1p

That'll save us! What a pointless cut.

A budget for those who aspire to work hard and get on... get pissed more like.

My prediction for all out fracking is coming true-- incentives on shale gas investments.

mikelincs Mar 20th 2013 4:26 pm

Re: The budget

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10614845)
Beer duty to be cut by 1p

That'll save us! What a pointless cut.

A budget for those who aspire to work hard and get on... get pissed more like.

My prediction for all out fracking is coming true-- incentives on shale gas investments.

Get the duty comment right, beer duty to be reduced by 1p per pint, instead of the additional 3p which would have been added if the duty escalator had bee implemented, all other alcoholic drinks to go up in line with the duty escalator, ciggies also to rise by 5% above inflation. Fuel duty to be frozen again, including the September rise. None of which will bother me as I don't smoke, drink or drive.

britexpat76 Mar 20th 2013 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 10614877)
None of which will bother me as I don't smoke, drink or drive.

What the heckety heck do you do then?!

OleJanx Mar 20th 2013 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10614889)

Umm, are you sure you want to know?

Bob Mar 20th 2013 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10614889)

That only leaves hookers and blow.

typical Mar 20th 2013 5:11 pm

Any mention of us dirty economic migrants - sorry, expats?

Ethos83 Mar 20th 2013 5:46 pm

My pater once put his hand on my shoulder, nodded sadly and after a long pause said, 'The sad truth of life, Boy, is that it doesn't matter what's in the budget. You're *****ed one way or another.'

I don't see what's so different this time around.

britexpat76 Mar 20th 2013 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10614933)
That only leaves hookers and blow.

Throw gambling in too and I suppose it's not a bad life.

OleJanx Mar 20th 2013 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10615018)
Throw gambling in too and I suppose it's not a bad life.

A line of gak of the top of a nightclub loo, and the world, for a short while anyway, seems a much nicer place...

The Dean Mar 21st 2013 2:33 am

Milliband's reply was perhaps the weakest I have ever heard from a Leader of the Opposition - the 'raise your hand if you have had a tax cut' thing was pathetic. With him and Balls in charge, the country really would be in trouble....... :frown:

typical Mar 21st 2013 3:38 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10615723)
Milliband's reply was perhaps the weakest I have ever heard from a Leader of the Opposition - the 'raise your hand if you have had a tax cut' thing was pathetic. With him and Balls in charge, the country really would be in trouble....... :frown:

It WAS only the sixth time someone has used the word "hashtag" in Parliament :ohmy:

Balls is an interesting one. He's been absolutely right on the failings of Osborne, but hasn't been able to pull together an opposing narrative well enough - and he's still associated with the previous administration (which wasn't nearly as bad as people think, but was still pretty darn bad). I think the Tories can't decide if they want him gone or are delighted he's still around...

Beakersful Mar 22nd 2013 8:19 pm

I guess no one can see the breaking point approaching yet. You have to wonder if they are doing a better job of planning for media spin of the rioting and crime waves that may result out of these swipes of the pen.