Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Budget 2013: Who are the losers

Budget 2013: Who are the losers

Old Mar 17th 2013, 9:56 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Budget 2013: Who are the losers

My mother didn't work, partly because she didn't need to and partly because the uprooting nature of my father's work would have made it difficult for her to establish any meaningful career. But I had friends who came from all sorts of family arrangements (you see lots of "broken" homes at boarding schools) and I can't agree there's a set pattern proving that kids from two parent, one income family will always do better than kids from one parent/no income family or whatever you have it. I knew spoiled rotten brats whose mothers were affluent housewives and other spoiled brats whose single mothers worked themselves to the bone to support their families.

There are mitigating factors (money helps by a long shot) but having good, responsible parents goes a long way in turning out responsible kids. But the kids themselves having some degree of intelligence also helps. I can think of families where the parents were terrific, two of the kids turned out great but one child made a wreck of his life. Who's to blame here?
Old Mar 17th 2013, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think anyone is saying in a blanket generalisation that if your parents work you will turn out an awful human being. However I think it is arguable that it is ideal to have 2 parents who have the time to be parents.

I'm also not saying that all working parents do not have time to be with their kids but it is more challenging.

Being a parent just sucks, it doesn't matter what situation you're in, you're going to **** them up in some way or at least feel guilty.

How this relates to the budget is that non working parents are penalised for making the decision to stay home and raise their kids. I'm not talking about people on unemployment benefits choosing to be unemployed (I maintain this, in general, is the exception rather than the rule) i'm talking about the families that have one parent not working. By incentivising both parents to go out to work suggests the Government is not even paying lip services to their rhetoric of looking after hard working families, and family being important, broken britain blah blah bullshit.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 10:00 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
My mother didn't work, partly because she didn't need to and partly because the uprooting nature of my father's work would have made it difficult for her to establish any meaningful career. But I had friends who came from all sorts of family arrangements (you see lots of "broken" homes at boarding schools) and I can't agree there's a set pattern proving that kids from two parent, one income family will always do better than kids from one parent/no income family or whatever you have it. I knew spoiled rotten brats whose mothers were affluent housewives and other spoiled brats whose single mothers worked themselves to the bone to support their families.

There are mitigating factors (money helps by a long shot) but having good, responsible parents goes a long way in turning out responsible kids. But the kids themselves having some degree of intelligence also helps. I can think of families where the parents were terrific, two of the kids turned out great but one child made a wreck of his life. Who's to blame here?
I believe the current stock answer is the Chinese...
Old Mar 17th 2013, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Theseus
Being a parent just sucks, it doesn't matter what situation you're in, you're going to **** them up in some way or at least feel guilty.
Correct. The kids are great - being a parent is utterly shite.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 10:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Meow
I believe the current stock answer is the Chinese...
Jackpot! It's catching on.

ABC people, Always Blame China.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

This is one of those points where the current financial situation isn't workable with one parent working, one being the homemaker. The financial system would of course have to change to reflect that 'ideal' which may be a good move for society, bringing our kids up to be useful/responsible members of society in the main (shift the percentage, I'm not saying it's black and white only) But then we have to accept liberalism and the media pumped into our homes, plus the internet (ps. I'm for the shift of pron to.xxx domain and parents able to lock out that domain in their routers, although with grown up kids returning home due to the financial climate that kicks off uncomfortable chats with the 'rents')

My mother (two parent family) didn't work, then worked. I remember coming home a latchkey kid and everything turning to crap with no guidance around (not saying I was bad, I just wasted those years) I went to boarding school a few years, and I'm a parent myself (divorced now) and of course with education in mind (schooling and societal) I've long thought about this situation.

Our varying ideas on the situation may all be right, but change needs real change. A lot of values would need to alter to provide the best situation and I don't think our current government, or any of them, are going to do anything that helps the people and society. So, it's all theory right now. I'm no Lefty either, so don't think this is marxist ranting I live in a country that is supposed to be, "all about the family" and so this topic frequently comes up, no?
Old Mar 17th 2013, 10:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Beakersful
.xxx domain and parents able to lock out that domain

I remember coming home a latchkey kid and everything turning to crap with no guidance around

I went to boarding school a few years,

(divorced now)
You've got to start blaming China mate.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Dunno, after I heard the production of Pot Noodles was coming back to Leeds since wages were increasing over there I kind of guessed they'd done something right for once.