British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Bucket of Vindaloo (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/bucket-vindaloo-914088/)

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 26th 2018 4:31 am

Re: Bucket of Vindaloo

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12522102)
Leave the poor dears alone and stop setting them up for the inevitable come-uppance.

I can smell the bitterness.

Anyway, I'm torn for the Belgium game, lose and an 'easier' route to the final. Win and supposedly harder to get that far. Although I'm of the opinion that last 16 / QF / SF of the world cup means you're going to be facing tough competition.
Lose and take a knock and hope to then play well again.
Win and take momentum and positive vibes that we've beaten a very good side.
Draw is probably the worst - no confidence boost, finish top, 'harder' route.

weasel decentral Jun 26th 2018 4:55 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12522579)

Anyway, I'm torn for the Belgium game, lose and an 'easier' route to the final. Win and supposedly harder to get that far. Although I'm of the opinion that last 16 / QF / SF of the world cup means you're going to be facing tough competition.

If England put out a weaker team to rest the key players you can take the loss without it being a confidence knock.

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 26th 2018 5:15 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12522586)
If England put out a weaker team to rest the key players you can take the loss without it being a confidence knock.

True.
I heard Martinez has already said he'll be resting players.
Interesting to have two teams thinking about possibly throwing a game. It's kind of why I'd like us to go out there and give it a good go. The momentum, confidence and competitive 'practice' is only going to be useful.

Miss Ann Thrope Jun 26th 2018 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12522579)

Bitter tastes better.

.....Or get an abrupt reality check like Russia????

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 26th 2018 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12522614)
Bitter tastes better.

.....Or get an abrupt reality check like Russia????

Quite possibly.

Let's face it, it doesn't matter who we face in the next round...it's the last 16 of a world cup and if we beat, draw or lose to Belgium and our defenders haven't been made to look average then it's likely it'll happen then.

weasel decentral Jun 27th 2018 8:42 am

Bit of a dark horse but England are looking like a decent shot to lift the cup, haven't seen as good a team since maybe '66.

Might lump on a few grand on the nose plus Harry Kane for golden boot just to keep it interesting

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 27th 2018 8:59 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12523138)
Bit of a dark horse but England are looking like a decent shot to lift the cup, haven't seen as good a team since maybe '66.

Might lump on a few grand on the nose plus Harry Kane for golden boot just to keep it interesting

You won't be able to bet with that fishing rod in your hand.

Belgium's an interesting one, I stood the Mrs in front of my epic wall chart last night and explained the routes to the final. She wants us to throw the game tomorrow and take a possibly easier route. I want us to thump Belgium 4-0 and then take on everyone great and sweep them aside.

It's tough to know what's better but I think if Sir Gareth is going to be bringing football home then we may as well go the hard way.

#Itscominghome

Millhouse Jun 27th 2018 9:25 am

I suspect both teams will be out to lose tomorrow.

britexpat76 Jun 27th 2018 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12523157)
I suspect both teams will be out to lose tomorrow.

Kind of my thinking.....

reddiva Jun 27th 2018 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12523144)
You won't be able to bet with that fishing rod in your hand.

Belgium's an interesting one, I stood the Mrs in front of my epic wall chart last night and explained the routes to the final. She wants us to throw the game tomorrow and take a possibly easier route. I want us to thump Belgium 4-0 and then take on everyone great and sweep them aside.

It's tough to know what's better but I think if Sir Gareth is going to be bringing football home then we may as well go the hard way.

#Itscominghome

my work colleague did the very same to all us ladies on Sunday
he loves his wall chart

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 27th 2018 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by reddiva (Post 12523237)
my work colleague did the very same to all us ladies on Sunday
he loves his wall chart

I didn't mean to sound patronising, just FYI, she asked because she's interested and she knows how much I love that wallchart so she asks me something about it every night.

Wall charts are probably the third best thing about major football tournaments. Behind the football and beer only.

britexpat76 Jun 27th 2018 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12523239)
I didn't mean to sound patronising, just FYI, she asked because she's interested and she knows how much I love that wallchart so she asks me something about it every night.

Wall charts are probably the third best thing about major football tournaments. Behind the football and beer only.

Ahead of the gratuitous pictures of fit female fans in the crowd?

reddiva Jun 28th 2018 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12523239)

I didn't think you were being patronising :-)

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 28th 2018 5:05 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 12523252)
Ahead of the gratuitous pictures of fit female fans in the crowd?

Oh yeah, I mean they're top ten but they're not a wall chart.

Originally Posted by reddiva (Post 12523631)

:thumbup:

weasel decentral Jun 28th 2018 5:06 am

Originally Posted by reddiva (Post 12523631)

Maybe that's because you don't understand what he meant about being patronising

Just kidding