British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Bucket of Vindaloo (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/bucket-vindaloo-914088/)

Miss Ann Thrope Jul 16th 2018 6:34 am

Re: Bucket of Vindaloo

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12533434)
Edit to say: Harry Kane surely the worst golden boot winner of recent times in terms of scoring from open play?

You're just a bitter hater.

DXBtoDOH Jul 16th 2018 6:53 am

Enjoyed the WC overall. Must admit to having supported France in the finals. I had my reasons. ;)

Bit of a shame it'll be eight years till the next proper WC.

Millhouse Jul 16th 2018 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12533443)

Glad you can now see the error in your old ways, I thought the same.

Objectively though, Kane's golden boot is pretty poor: 3 penalties, a tap in, a deflection and a decent header. No one wants to hear that though and as it's a subjective assessment - it's a massive achievement in the eyes of much of the UK.

weasel decentral Jul 16th 2018 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12533443)

Yes that I am :) finally the recognition I deserve

littlejimmy Jul 16th 2018 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12533189)
There were no giveaway indicators at all....:lol:

Don't worry, I still like you even if you don't like me. I'm like that now you see, since Gareth taught me to own the process.

I still like you (mostly). I get a bit of red mist thing at times, especially when I've had 5 pints of strong ale in the sunshine, and I hate being on the wrong side of schadenfreude.

Irishbeekeeper Jul 16th 2018 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 12533502)
I still like you (mostly). I get a bit of red mist thing at times, especially when I've had 5 pints of strong ale in the sunshine, and I hate being on the wrong side of schadenfreude.

You still owe me a 16 year old (bottle, dont get any ideas) and in turn I owe tons of beers to TheShed and Jamie, so even stevens I guess
Decent game, was rooting for Croatia all the way but France just was playing on a different level
Seen the video Qatar sent out for the 2022 promotion? The sad horse standing in a 5 star hotel corridor was really funny
Anyone has any bets on whether we will survive till WC 2022? :D
Or will Qatar get to keep it?

littlejimmy Jul 16th 2018 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 12533745)
You still owe me a 16 year old (bottle, dont get any ideas) and in turn I owe tons of beers to TheShed and Jamie, so even stevens I guess
Decent game, was rooting for Croatia all the way but France just was playing on a different level
Seen the video Qatar sent out for the 2022 promotion? The sad horse standing in a 5 star hotel corridor was really funny
Anyone has any bets on whether we will survive till WC 2022? :D
Or will Qatar get to keep it?

A bet's a bet. It was a bottle, I don't remember age coming into it, mind. I'll sort you out some time, don't worry.

Scamp Jul 18th 2018 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12532314)
Ah well, Lifesabic.

This "no stars" England team was frustratingly difficult to dislike compared to previous versions, not least the 2006 "golden generation". Of course the problem with teams with no stars is that, well, they have no stars. That was cruelly exposed when the Croatian holy trinity finally deigned to descend to earth and grace us with their skills after the 50th minute of that semi-final. Having never once heard the magical sequence "Modric-Raketic-Mandzukic" (not necessarily in that order) from the commentator in their previous three matches, suddenly it kept coming and coming. And it seemed to re-energise their whole team. Having finally figured out how to deal with England's unorthodox formation and with their key players then deciding to show up, suddenly Croatia were rampant. I was surprised at how quickly England then fell apart and seemed to be able to do little to counter, but also, at how much Croatia struggled to turn their dominance into meaningful chances. They really should have been well ahead after 90 minutes. I think France will handle them with ease but the prospective midfield battle of Raketic/Modric/Perisic versus Kante/Matuidi/Pogba is dangerously over-stimulating. The reality can only disappoint.

Watching the match on English TV gave us a few gems. Post-match analysis - bizarrely, standing on the pitch - featured Slaven Bilic (verbally) twatting an over-ebullient Glenn Hoddle into whimpering silence in an argument about Croatia's tactics. Then in the studio a superb screaming dispute broke out between Roy Keane and Ian Wright. Keano, of course, though gritting his teeth and trying so hard to be nice, could not help himself by reverting to his natural role of most irritating tosspot on the planet (maybe it's an Irish thing). All the talk about what a great effort by our brave and over-achieving boys was naturally going to set him off. He pointed out, not gently, that this team had blown what was likely to be England's best chance ever (ever, mind you) of getting back to a WC final. Young though the team may be, they are not suddenly going to get magically better than their Brazilian and German and Spanish and French counterparts. Of course Wrighty, in his assigned role of over-emotional partisan, exploded in response and what followed was a good minute of completely indecipherable screeching from both. It wasn't quite on a par with the Suarez-Cavani one-two against Portugal but was up there with the most magical moments of this WC so far. Alas, it calmed down quickly and ended with a comment by Wrighty that "this lot" had done better than could be expected, which showed I guess what he really thought about the team and explained why he was not the distraught wreck that might have been expected after the match.

Keano did make one other cuttingly accurate point about the England team: the World Cup is highly unlikely to be the first trophy that you win as a footballer.

So now we are nearly there. While this WC has had a lot of great moments, I don't think it's up there with the best. For one, we were denied a match between the two best teams in the tournament - France and Brazil - and that promised to be a mickey-dazzler of the highest order. I know lots of English football fans get annoyed about Brazil but they are ultimately superb footballers and Neymar's antics notwithstanding, he is thrilling to behold on the ball. Belgium handled Brazil fairly well and that was an exciting match but if that flukey first goal had not gone in off the defender then it would likely have been a different match with a different outcome.

For two, France are a very defensive side and while it is absorbing to watch, it is far from "total football". If it was Mourinho rather than Deschamps coaching France, then doubtless the commentators would have lots to say. It is notable though how much better Pogba looks all around, attacking and defending, in the French setup than with ManU. Does that say something (that we didn't already know) about MouMou's leadership? It does show that containment doesn't have to be sterile and boring but it's never thrilling so just as well Mbappe is in the mix as well.

For another, the golden boot is almost certainly going meaninglessly to Harry Kane who barely scored from open play against a series of hardly daunting opponents. I stand by my view that he is over-hyped (though not his fault he was played out of position versus Croatia) and I think England and especially the English media placed far too much emphasis on him. Meanwhile second place is Lukaku. Ten of their eleven collective goals were scored against Panama or Tunisia. Here's to a double brace by Griezmann or Mbappe in the final (I wonder what the odds would be of that?) to make it worth something!

Meanwhile too many good teams were missing or under-performed and the developing nations seem further away than ever from a breakthrough.

But Russia seems to have been a surprisingly good host and staged a very well run tournament. Which brings into focus the next one and how that will go???!!!

And which nasty tabloid will be the first to surface the inevitable revelations about Saint Gareth? When he is tricked into revealing that he cheated at bingo with his gran when he was six or whatever.... But you know something will come because it always does.

Football, bloody hell, eh? Hard to go back to the PL/CL slog now...

Some good points in here.
Brazil weren't one of the best teams though, I don't think. I thought they were always in about 3rd gear and never looked like a vintage Brazil side in my opinion.
I hope the press don't decide to try and dig up some dirt about Sir Gareth cheating at bingo, although it would be perfectly English wouldn't it?
Kane has to be Golden Boot winner because he scored the most goals, whether good bad or indifferent.

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12533448)
Glad you can now see the error in your old ways, I thought the same.

Objectively though, Kane's golden boot is pretty poor: 3 penalties, a tap in, a deflection and a decent header. No one wants to hear that though and as it's a subjective assessment - it's a massive achievement in the eyes of much of the UK.

Still scored them though, didn't he?
What about the romance of Miroslav Klose being the world cup's all time leading goal scorer ahead of Ronaldo, Muller and Pele? I'm sure football hipsters hate that.
Is what it is, like if England won the world cup, it would have been because we took the easy route etc. No pleasing anyone or everyone I guess.

Miss Ann Thrope Jul 19th 2018 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12534847)
Some good points in here.
Brazil weren't one of the best teams though, I don't think. I thought they were always in about 3rd gear and never looked like a vintage Brazil side in my opinion.
I hope the press don't decide to try and dig up some dirt about Sir Gareth cheating at bingo, although it would be perfectly English wouldn't it?
Kane has to be Golden Boot winner because he scored the most goals, whether good bad or indifferent.

Still scored them though, didn't he?
What about the romance of Miroslav Klose being the world cup's all time leading goal scorer ahead of Ronaldo, Muller and Pele? I'm sure football hipsters hate that.
Is what it is, like if England won the world cup, it would have been because we took the easy route etc. No pleasing anyone or everyone I guess.

Yech, Klose, the ultimate goalhanger (as we used to call them when playing - did anyone else use that expression?). I'd forgotten that he was the all-time leader but it's a fair point. Tbh, even though I quite like Lineker, even he was lucky to get his golden boot and it came in what was unquestionably - and thrillingly - Maradona's world cup.

Irishbeekeeper Jul 19th 2018 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12535613)
Yech, Klose, the ultimate goalhanger (as we used to call them when playing - did anyone else use that expression?). I'd forgotten that he was the all-time leader but it's a fair point. Tbh, even though I quite like Lineker, even he was lucky to get his golden boot and it came in what was unquestionably - and thrillingly - Maradona's world cup.

I never liked Maradonna, dont know why back then but now it is obvious why :D
Same goes for Suarez...he is a pr**k!
For me the new likeable character out of this WC was the English goalie...good lad, he has ways to go I think.

Boomhauer Jul 19th 2018 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 12535627)
I never liked Maradonna, dont know why back then but now it is obvious why :D
Same goes for Suarez...he is a pr**k!
For me the new likeable character out of this WC was the English goalie...good lad, he has ways to go I think.

Maradonna is a cheater (hand of God), but maybe I am too hard on him since he is just 1 amongst a sea of cheaters.
Suarez is a god dam cheater and revolting [email protected]@t.
Neymar is another cheater (for diving). Far as I recall this theatrical diving started with Jurgen Klinsman in the 1990 WC.

FIFA is useless and infuriating, for not clamping down hard on diving.

Scamp Jul 23rd 2018 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12535613)

Goalhangers and hoggers are the worst in playground football.