British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Bucket of Vindaloo (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/bucket-vindaloo-914088/)

co durham boy Jul 8th 2018 12:32 pm

Re: Bucket of Vindaloo

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12529218)
Seriously though, I didn't realise what a fragile flower you were... Not being on the "it's coming home delirium wagon" does not make me a hater. But this attitude that "if you are not with us, you're against us" is exactly what does turn people into haters.

Meanwhile I think Croatia did England a favour because Russia would have been very difficult to play in a home semi-final. Meanwhile Croatia themselves seem completely unable to repeat their deliciously clinical performance against Argentina so look very beatable. However, they have now come through two shoot-outs and their keeper is a genuine penalty master saver...

Either way, there is no question which of the semi-finals that proper football-lovers are looking forward to.

And you England "fans" that can't grasp the notion that me and many others are not at fever pitch excitement over an average team of decent enough lads riding a big wave of luck, consider how much regard the voters of England showed to the rest of the UK, and to the island of Ireland in particular, in June 2016, to understand why we may be reluctant to show solidarity that is rarely returned when it matters.

You seem a tad bitter fella .

littlejimmy Jul 8th 2018 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12529218)
Seriously though, I didn't realise what a fragile flower you were... Not being on the "it's coming home delirium wagon" does not make me a hater. But this attitude that "if you are not with us, you're against us" is exactly what does turn people into haters.

Meanwhile I think Croatia did England a favour because Russia would have been very difficult to play in a home semi-final. Meanwhile Croatia themselves seem completely unable to repeat their deliciously clinical performance against Argentina so look very beatable. However, they have now come through two shoot-outs and their keeper is a genuine penalty master saver...

Either way, there is no question which of the semi-finals that proper football-lovers are looking forward to.

And you England "fans" that can't grasp the notion that me and many others are not at fever pitch excitement over an average team of decent enough lads riding a big wave of luck, consider how much regard the voters of England showed to the rest of the UK, and to the island of Ireland in particular, in June 2016, to understand why we may be reluctant to show solidarity that is rarely returned when it matters.

As the article you linked states, the "lamentations of their women" will be sweet if we win. But please, don't bring ******* Brexit into this. It's been nice to be able to forget about that shite for a bit.

weasel decentral Jul 9th 2018 4:48 am

Watched both games and as mentioned thought England were properly in control from start to finish, actually Sweden seemed subdued but perhaps that was because they were being well marshalled. Best thing about the game for me was even at 2-0 England still played forward and didn't start parking the bus, massive difference in attitude to previous teams. Croatia got the job done the hard way against Russia, though it looked a struggle against a buoyant home team.

Predictions for the semi finals - France to beat Belgium as I think the French midfield will finally gel and fire up plus I think they have more going forward than Belgium can handle. Croatia to beat England narrowly, despite their tiredness I think they have too much in the middle of the park for England to deal with.

It's been an enjoyable world cup from a neutral's perspective

co durham boy Jul 9th 2018 9:50 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12529508)
Watched both games and as mentioned thought England were properly in control from start to finish, actually Sweden seemed subdued but perhaps that was because they were being well marshalled. Best thing about the game for me was even at 2-0 England still played forward and didn't start parking the bus, massive difference in attitude to previous teams. Croatia got the job done the hard way against Russia, though it looked a struggle against a buoyant home team.

Predictions for the semi finals - France to beat Belgium as I think the French midfield will finally gel and fire up plus I think they have more going forward than Belgium can handle. Croatia to beat England narrowly, despite their tiredness I think they have too much in the middle of the park for England to deal with.

Pretty decent assessment of things to be honest . For England to win we'll need much more from Sterling and Ali , the Croatian center halves can be got at but you need to take you chances . They have had two very tough games though and although they were excellent against Argentina they've been only ok the last game and were on the rack against Denmark for a while .

Hoping England do it but they are a decent side.

Bahtatboy Jul 9th 2018 2:57 pm

Haven't seen any of the French matches. What might we be up against?

ps A Moroccan colleague said she hopes France win because they're the only African team left in the tournament.

Miss Ann Thrope Jul 9th 2018 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12529508)

I agree on France v Belgium but it's far from a given seeing as how Belgium already saw off a much better team by skilfully riding their lucky break (prior to that opening goal Brazil had by far the best defensive record in the tournament). Belgium also can be irresistible going forward and the French defence has yet to prove themselves (they let in 3 from Argentina after all). So it really could turn on some critical event.

Despite being a bitter hater and feeling like the only sober guy on the nightbus, I think England will beat Croatia, who have looked laboured ever since their magical but apparently one-off performance against Argentina. There is currently some political scandal in Croatia related to football and Modric has been charged with perjury for defending the apparently corrupt head of their FA (I know, shocking...). Accordingly there seems to be some ambivalence in the support for the team and perhaps that's playing on their minds though their calmness during the shoot-outs wouldn't suggest that is the case. Either way they don't seem to be able to get their act together even against mediocre opposition and England are certainly up for it and full of energy and willing, even if they rely on a few predictable routes to score. I think it may well be like the England-Sweden match to be honest.

But Croatia could show up and give another masterclass and then even I would feel for the England lads. That is the beauty of football and this world cup in particular, which is terrific for a neutral as you say.

I think it will be the most one-sided final since 1998 though. With the same winners.

Miss Ann Thrope Jul 9th 2018 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 12529806)
Haven't seen any of the French matches. What might we be up against?

ps A Moroccan colleague said she hopes France win because they're the only African team left in the tournament.

There is a thing going around on Whatsapp, and probably Facebook I guess, showing the African origins of most of the players. Off-hand I can only think of Griezman, Giroud, Pavard and Lloris who don't have some African roots

Millhouse Jul 10th 2018 2:33 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12529988)
There is a thing going around on Whatsapp, and probably Facebook I guess, showing the African origins of most of the players. Off-hand I can only think of Griezman, Giroud, Pavard and Lloris who don't have some African roots

im sure it was a lot more racist than how you have presented it.

I have been backing Belgium to win since the beginning and I still think they can do it, unless of course they face the unstoppable England in the final.

Pickford saved our ass in the last game and I’m not sure how far his “never in the right position” luck can run. He may have peaked too soon.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 10th 2018 4:40 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12529988)
But Croatia could show up and give another masterclass and then even I would feel for the England lads.

I fear this, but then I remember it's coming home and everything's fine again.

Millhouse Jul 11th 2018 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12530132)
I fear this, but then I remember it's coming home and everything's fine again.

If we do make it past Croatia - and I hope we do obviously - the lesson with France could be quite painful. Some of their attacking breaks yesterday were very good.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 11th 2018 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12530791)

If we do make it past Croatia - and I hope we do obviously - the lesson with France could be quite painful. Some of their attacking breaks yesterday were very good.

Totally. Mbappe is a joke.
But, my boss, who I don't really respect as a football fan because he supports Portsmouth said he thought most of the French team (Giroud, Griezmann and a few others) looked very tired....which was interesting and I agree with. They were a bit sluggish. Guess fatigue will affect every team but I'm clutching at straws for the final if we make it.

Irishbeekeeper Jul 11th 2018 7:38 am

I shall maintain my conspiracy theory that the bookies got to Belgian's Number 9!!! :rofl:

weasel decentral Jul 11th 2018 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12530810)
Totally. Mbappe is a joke.
But, my boss, who I don't really respect as a football fan because he supports Portsmouth said he thought most of the French team (Giroud, Griezmann and a few others) looked very tired....which was interesting and I agree with. They were a bit sluggish. Guess fatigue will affect every team but I'm clutching at straws for the final if we make it.

Is he being ironic? That French team were full of running, harassed Belgium in groups and played a lot of dutch style 'total football' in the sense of playing all over the park and out of position.
Extra day rest now also. Doesn't rule out a (fat) Ronaldo or Zidane style melt down on the day of the final though :)

co durham boy Jul 11th 2018 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 12530815)
I shall maintain my conspiracy theory that the bookies got to Belgian's Number 9!!! :rofl:

Terrible last night after been excellent in the previous game , doesn't add up to me as he should be bullying center halves for fun

Millhouse Jul 11th 2018 7:50 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12530817)
Is he being ironic? That French team were full of running, harassed Belgium in groups and played a lot of dutch style 'total football' in the sense of playing all over the park and out of position.
Extra day rest now also. Doesn't rule out a (fat) Ronaldo or Zidane style melt down on the day of the final though :)

That's what impressed me - big crossed over the field to unmarked players charging up the side. Pity they couldn't seem to finish them.