Bucket of Vindaloo

Old Jul 12th 2018, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bucket of Vindaloo

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Good game last night, it looked like England might do it based on the first half performance but Croatia had too much class and the patience/confidence to believe in their game and wait for the goals to come. I doubt any England fan could be unhappy with how the world cup went, Southgate definitely overachieved, a semi final looked unlikely at the start. Unless Belgium do something crazy Kane has the golden boot, though his performances have dropped off as the tournament progressed.
Best for me was that English fans really got into the spirit of the world cup, and took it as an extended party rather than the sort of joyless affair it has been before. Kudos!

France for the cup though, unless Croatia really do something special and it would be great to have a new winner.
You make a good point here regarding Kane , I thought he was poor the last two games , dropping deep to look for the ball last night just gave those two center backs 10 yards and to shut the space , probably frustration as well but we need to find a Plan B . Dele Ali plays that 10 role for spurs and he's far better further up the field , maybe he should have switched and through Sterling out wide and attacked Rabic more as Rose skinned him twice in 2 mins and the coach hauled him off.

What could have been eh !!!
Old Jul 12th 2018, 6:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Really great game last night full of attack and counter-attack.

At half time my feelings were that the game can go either way and frankly teams both deserved to win - although we were the better team in the first half. Halfway through the second half we seemed to lose it a bit, slowed, sat back and then screwed up. We then really struggled to come back from that goal. I felt that we sunk to our old ways of long balls to nowhere in hopes of picking up a forward. Kane was nowhere to be seen all night and Sterling should never have started. The boys really tried in extra time and it was a great pick up, the second goal was unfortunate as Pickford was well up for penalties.

Man of the match for me was Pickford. He's a fantastic keeper with a great career ahead of him now. Very uncomfortable to watch though as he always seems to be in the wrong place - pure comedy when he mugged off the Croatian striker by outrunning and out skilling him.

Well done to everyone. Mrs Millhouse 2 now understands why I watch England games at home, and go to bars for other games.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and to add Southgate - what a proper decent gent. He comforted the team, got them to stand up straight and went around thanking everyone. Class act.

I'm tempted to forgive him for the penalty now.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 7:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Oh, and to add Southgate - what a proper decent gent. He comforted the team, got them to stand up straight and went around thanking everyone. Class act.

I'm tempted to forgive him for the penalty now.
Great point, what an absolutely stand up guy.
Old Jul 13th 2018, 10:14 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Ah well, Lifesabic.

This "no stars" England team was frustratingly difficult to dislike compared to previous versions, not least the 2006 "golden generation". Of course the problem with teams with no stars is that, well, they have no stars. That was cruelly exposed when the Croatian holy trinity finally deigned to descend to earth and grace us with their skills after the 50th minute of that semi-final. Having never once heard the magical sequence "Modric-Raketic-Mandzukic" (not necessarily in that order) from the commentator in their previous three matches, suddenly it kept coming and coming. And it seemed to re-energise their whole team. Having finally figured out how to deal with England's unorthodox formation and with their key players then deciding to show up, suddenly Croatia were rampant. I was surprised at how quickly England then fell apart and seemed to be able to do little to counter, but also, at how much Croatia struggled to turn their dominance into meaningful chances. They really should have been well ahead after 90 minutes. I think France will handle them with ease but the prospective midfield battle of Raketic/Modric/Perisic versus Kante/Matuidi/Pogba is dangerously over-stimulating. The reality can only disappoint.

Watching the match on English TV gave us a few gems. Post-match analysis - bizarrely, standing on the pitch - featured Slaven Bilic (verbally) twatting an over-ebullient Glenn Hoddle into whimpering silence in an argument about Croatia's tactics. Then in the studio a superb screaming dispute broke out between Roy Keane and Ian Wright. Keano, of course, though gritting his teeth and trying so hard to be nice, could not help himself by reverting to his natural role of most irritating tosspot on the planet (maybe it's an Irish thing). All the talk about what a great effort by our brave and over-achieving boys was naturally going to set him off. He pointed out, not gently, that this team had blown what was likely to be England's best chance ever (ever, mind you) of getting back to a WC final. Young though the team may be, they are not suddenly going to get magically better than their Brazilian and German and Spanish and French counterparts. Of course Wrighty, in his assigned role of over-emotional partisan, exploded in response and what followed was a good minute of completely indecipherable screeching from both. It wasn't quite on a par with the Suarez-Cavani one-two against Portugal but was up there with the most magical moments of this WC so far. Alas, it calmed down quickly and ended with a comment by Wrighty that "this lot" had done better than could be expected, which showed I guess what he really thought about the team and explained why he was not the distraught wreck that might have been expected after the match.

Keano did make one other cuttingly accurate point about the England team: the World Cup is highly unlikely to be the first trophy that you win as a footballer.

So now we are nearly there. While this WC has had a lot of great moments, I don't think it's up there with the best. For one, we were denied a match between the two best teams in the tournament - France and Brazil - and that promised to be a mickey-dazzler of the highest order. I know lots of English football fans get annoyed about Brazil but they are ultimately superb footballers and Neymar's antics notwithstanding, he is thrilling to behold on the ball. Belgium handled Brazil fairly well and that was an exciting match but if that flukey first goal had not gone in off the defender then it would likely have been a different match with a different outcome.

For two, France are a very defensive side and while it is absorbing to watch, it is far from "total football". If it was Mourinho rather than Deschamps coaching France, then doubtless the commentators would have lots to say. It is notable though how much better Pogba looks all around, attacking and defending, in the French setup than with ManU. Does that say something (that we didn't already know) about MouMou's leadership? It does show that containment doesn't have to be sterile and boring but it's never thrilling so just as well Mbappe is in the mix as well.

For another, the golden boot is almost certainly going meaninglessly to Harry Kane who barely scored from open play against a series of hardly daunting opponents. I stand by my view that he is over-hyped (though not his fault he was played out of position versus Croatia) and I think England and especially the English media placed far too much emphasis on him. Meanwhile second place is Lukaku. Ten of their eleven collective goals were scored against Panama or Tunisia. Here's to a double brace by Griezmann or Mbappe in the final (I wonder what the odds would be of that?) to make it worth something!

Meanwhile too many good teams were missing or under-performed and the developing nations seem further away than ever from a breakthrough.

But Russia seems to have been a surprisingly good host and staged a very well run tournament. Which brings into focus the next one and how that will go???!!!

And which nasty tabloid will be the first to surface the inevitable revelations about Saint Gareth? When he is tricked into revealing that he cheated at bingo with his gran when he was six or whatever.... But you know something will come because it always does.

Football, bloody hell, eh? Hard to go back to the PL/CL slog now...

Last edited by Miss Ann Thrope; Jul 13th 2018 at 11:58 am.
Old Jul 14th 2018, 8:12 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
Ah well, Lifesabic.

This "no stars" England team was frustratingly difficult to dislike compared to previous versions, not least the 2006 "golden generation". Of course the problem with teams with no stars is that, well, they have no stars. That was cruelly exposed when the Croatian holy trinity finally deigned to descend to earth and grace us with their skills after the 50th minute of that semi-final. Having never once heard the magical sequence "Modric-Raketic-Mandzukic" (not necessarily in that order) from the commentator in their previous three matches, suddenly it kept coming and coming. And it seemed to re-energise their whole team. Having finally figured out how to deal with England's unorthodox formation and with their key players then deciding to show up, suddenly Croatia were rampant. I was surprised at how quickly England then fell apart and seemed to be able to do little to counter, but also, at how much Croatia struggled to turn their dominance into meaningful chances. They really should have been well ahead after 90 minutes. I think France will handle them with ease but the prospective midfield battle of Raketic/Modric/Perisic versus Kante/Matuidi/Pogba is dangerously over-stimulating. The reality can only disappoint.

Watching the match on English TV gave us a few gems. Post-match analysis - bizarrely, standing on the pitch - featured Slaven Bilic (verbally) twatting an over-ebullient Glenn Hoddle into whimpering silence in an argument about Croatia's tactics. Then in the studio a superb screaming dispute broke out between Roy Keane and Ian Wright. Keano, of course, though gritting his teeth and trying so hard to be nice, could not help himself by reverting to his natural role of most irritating tosspot on the planet (maybe it's an Irish thing). All the talk about what a great effort by our brave and over-achieving boys was naturally going to set him off. He pointed out, not gently, that this team had blown what was likely to be England's best chance ever (ever, mind you) of getting back to a WC final. Young though the team may be, they are not suddenly going to get magically better than their Brazilian and German and Spanish and French counterparts. Of course Wrighty, in his assigned role of over-emotional partisan, exploded in response and what followed was a good minute of completely indecipherable screeching from both. It wasn't quite on a par with the Suarez-Cavani one-two against Portugal but was up there with the most magical moments of this WC so far. Alas, it calmed down quickly and ended with a comment by Wrighty that "this lot" had done better than could be expected, which showed I guess what he really thought about the team and explained why he was not the distraught wreck that might have been expected after the match.

Keano did make one other cuttingly accurate point about the England team: the World Cup is highly unlikely to be the first trophy that you win as a footballer.

So now we are nearly there. While this WC has had a lot of great moments, I don't think it's up there with the best. For one, we were denied a match between the two best teams in the tournament - France and Brazil - and that promised to be a mickey-dazzler of the highest order. I know lots of English football fans get annoyed about Brazil but they are ultimately superb footballers and Neymar's antics notwithstanding, he is thrilling to behold on the ball. Belgium handled Brazil fairly well and that was an exciting match but if that flukey first goal had not gone in off the defender then it would likely have been a different match with a different outcome.

For two, France are a very defensive side and while it is absorbing to watch, it is far from "total football". If it was Mourinho rather than Deschamps coaching France, then doubtless the commentators would have lots to say. It is notable though how much better Pogba looks all around, attacking and defending, in the French setup than with ManU. Does that say something (that we didn't already know) about MouMou's leadership? It does show that containment doesn't have to be sterile and boring but it's never thrilling so just as well Mbappe is in the mix as well.

For another, the golden boot is almost certainly going meaninglessly to Harry Kane who barely scored from open play against a series of hardly daunting opponents. I stand by my view that he is over-hyped (though not his fault he was played out of position versus Croatia) and I think England and especially the English media placed far too much emphasis on him. Meanwhile second place is Lukaku. Ten of their eleven collective goals were scored against Panama or Tunisia. Here's to a double brace by Griezmann or Mbappe in the final (I wonder what the odds would be of that?) to make it worth something!

Meanwhile too many good teams were missing or under-performed and the developing nations seem further away than ever from a breakthrough.

But Russia seems to have been a surprisingly good host and staged a very well run tournament. Which brings into focus the next one and how that will go???!!!

And which nasty tabloid will be the first to surface the inevitable revelations about Saint Gareth? When he is tricked into revealing that he cheated at bingo with his gran when he was six or whatever.... But you know something will come because it always does.

Football, bloody hell, eh? Hard to go back to the PL/CL slog now...
i QUITE LIKE YOU BFORE THIS WORLD CUP BUT NOW I THINK YOU'RE A BIT OF AKNOB. NOTHING PERSONAL, BUT YOUR BITTERNESS HAS SHONE THROHGH
Old Jul 15th 2018, 5:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
i QUITE LIKE YOU BFORE THIS WORLD CUP BUT NOW I THINK YOU'RE A BIT OF AKNOB. NOTHING PERSONAL, BUT YOUR BITTERNESS HAS SHONE THROHGH
ah, it was always there.

Shit game of football last night. The team needs to do some work.
Old Jul 15th 2018, 6:15 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Well you've said all in caps so it MUST be true!

I totally own being a knob; I never tried to be anything else on here really. But bitter? You England fans are such........ I'm trying to avoid that terrible word but I'm too weak to resist....snowflakes!
Old Jul 15th 2018, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
Well you've said all in caps so it MUST be true!

I totally own being a knob; I never tried to be anything else on here really. But bitter? You England fans are such........ I'm trying to avoid that terrible word but I'm too weak to resist....snowflakes!
Little Jimmy a Snowflake????

That's about the same as calling me a luvvie loving communist!

He's correct on his diagnosis.
Old Jul 15th 2018, 7:02 am
...we killed the flame

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
Little Jimmy a Snowflake????

That's about the same as calling me a luvvie loving communist!

He's correct on his diagnosis.
OK, come on then, show me the evidence. Just saying things you don't like (and which are mostly true) does not exhibit bitterness...
Old Jul 15th 2018, 7:06 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I was pissed last night.
Old Jul 15th 2018, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

I was pissed last night.
Really?
Old Jul 15th 2018, 10:00 am
...we killed the flame

I was pissed last night.
There were no giveaway indicators at all....

Don't worry, I still like you even if you don't like me. I'm like that now you see, since Gareth taught me to own the process.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 2:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Decent enough game last night. Outcome was entirely predictable but I still wanted Croatia to win. Thought they did well really.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 3:50 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Decent enough game last night. Outcome was entirely predictable but I still wanted Croatia to win. Thought they did well really.
One of the better finals in recent memory, had it all really. High scoring, two amazing strikes from France, one own goal, one goalkeeping clanger, one controversial penalty decision (plus VAR) and good free flowing end to end football.
Felt a bit sorry for Croatia as once they went behind chasing the game was always going to play into the hands of fast French breaks. I didn't think France played that well on the night but they were clinical and knew how to close out the game.
Good tournament overall and I think VAR has been a success and should now be employed at high level club football. (Premier league and Champions league)

Edit to say: Harry Kane surely the worst golden boot winner of recent times in terms of scoring from open play?

Last edited by weasel decentral; Jul 16th 2018 at 3:53 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.