British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Brussels - Airport & Metro (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/brussels-airport-metro-874708/)

Millhouse Mar 22nd 2016 9:42 am

Brussels - Airport & Metro

BREAKING NEWS: At least 23 dead after 'suicide bombers' attack American Airlines check-in desk at Brussels Airport - as SECOND 'terror attack' hits Metro station near EU headquarters

Brussels Airport explosions leave several injured and hundreds trapped

More ammo for the Brexit boys.

Charl01 Mar 22nd 2016 9:57 am

Re: Brussels - Airport & Metro

Another sad day.......may those that were killed in this idiotic R.I.P.

IKnowNothing Mar 22nd 2016 10:01 am

So what does Cameron do? He calls a meeting. Sickening.

Sadly no surprise, they said they were coming, Europe chose to close it's ears. Lets hope UK has more sense come June 23rd.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 22nd 2016 10:05 am

Awful news.

DXBtoDOH Mar 22nd 2016 10:14 am

What did you want Cameron to do? Attack happens this morning, did you want troops deployed by noon? Where to? Calling COBRA is pretty significant.

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 11902390)

Sadly no surprise, they said they were coming, Europe chose to close it's ears. Lets hope UK has more sense come June 23rd.

I don't know how much of an impact this will have on Brexit. Some will use it as an argument for closer cooperation and unity in developing a solution (if possible, if ever) to the problem that no one really dares name. Others will use it as an argument that we must leave to help prevent radicalised Muslims from Europe entering the UK on the basis of EU citizenship (particularly looking at the recent waves of refuges/migrants flocking to Europe).

Anyway, I don't want to be talking about Brexit today. This isn't a Brexit issue or a British issue but an international tragedy.

Meow Mar 22nd 2016 10:36 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 11902401)

Anyway, I don't want to be talking about Brexit today. This isn't a Brexit issue or a British issue but an international tragedy.

Exactly.

The attacks are sickening.

iggle Mar 22nd 2016 10:44 am

What do you expect Call me Dave to do? Fly some spitfires over London in self defense. Might as well call dad's army as well.

This has nothing to do with Brexit and its pretty poor taste to use a tragedy in such a way to manipulate a situation for your own agenda, those that intend to do wrong most likely have a EU passports and will be able to freely travel to UK whether we are in or out of the EU

The issues is the radicalization of British/Europe population that already live here, and already carry a EU passports.

The one statement you did say that is correct, ISIS said they were coming, they told us they were going to send the refugees and we/EU have done nothing proactive about it. The problems is we aren't facing Germany back in 1939, where we have a standing army to face, we are facing a guerilla war where we don't know who is the enemy nor where they are. Even with the IRA we knew who the bad guys were...

We are basically in alot of trouble, and hard and strong decisions (and most likely will be unpopular with the lefties) will need to be made.

Since moving here to the middle east, I've seen France x 2, Belgium, Russia plane, Tunisia, Morocco, Sydney. I've started to become numb to it all, it is happening so frequently (and i am safer here in ME than back home, its crazy). We need to either be the hammer or the nail, right now we are the nail.

mikelincs Mar 22nd 2016 12:13 pm

That must be one of the worst posts to ever be on any forum on BE. Cameron can do no more than he is doing, this is a problem for Belgium and France in the main, but has Europe wide connotations. In the UK all Eurostar trains to Brussels have been cancelled, Bristol airport id closed until tommorow morning due to the fact that a large percentage of their flights are to Belgium and Holland. It's very easy to make comments in hindsight, but perhaps, after the arrest of the man suspected of masterminding the Paris bombings they should have gone to maximum security, but having said tha, what can you do at an airport, people come and go all the time, not all are taking flights, many are meeting relatives.
My sympathies go out to the friends and relatives of those caught up in the tragedy.
I suspect that once the COBRA meeting is over we will see heightened security at airports, seaports and in London itself, possibly more armed police on the street.
There will be a lot more countries closing their borders and it will not help the problems associated with the refugee crisis, particularly if any of those involved are shown to have entered Belgium in that way.
Border controls will come into force throughout Europe as well I assume.

Meow Mar 22nd 2016 12:28 pm

The attacks are sickening, not a meeting. Do get a sense of perspective.

IF the UK left the EU it doesn't mean the UK will be immune from terrorism or attacks from radicals. To suggest otherwise is disingenuous.

People have died. Using their deaths for political gain/capital is what many of us would describe as sickening too.

EDIT: Sadly too many people need reminding is that the bastards with the bombs are who the refugees are running away from.

Millhouse Mar 22nd 2016 12:34 pm

This is indeed a sad event. Let's not also forget that there were bombs in Istanbul only 3 days ago, and about six days ago 30 were blown up in Pakistan. Sad events happen all the time and they all have implications and response.

Just because it is sad does not mean it will not be hijacked by politicians. There is no shame in discussing how it will be hijacked.

The fact is that this kind of terrorism is very easy to do, and very hard to prevent - such prevention will mean serious discussions that people will naturally avoid. However, just as ISIS told us they would, the chickens have come home to roost.

The Belgiums do not have have a full grip on security (this is why it took months to find the "mastermind" who was only a few miles from his own house). It is also stupid that he will use laws that were designed by well meaning people to protect us, against us.

Millhouse Mar 22nd 2016 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11902525)
EDIT: Sadly too many people need reminding is that the bastards with the bombs are who the refugees are running away from.

I find it hard to believe that Asaad, the Russians, or the Turks were involved.

Meow Mar 22nd 2016 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11902532)
I find it hard to believe that Asaad, the Russians, or the Turks were involved.

There are many bastards with bombs, not just the "elected" political ones. ISIS, Daesh, Al Qaeda, the Taliban etc etc all qualify as bastards.

Fair comment to also mention Istanbul and Pakistan. It's a shitty world sometimes.

IKnowNothing Mar 22nd 2016 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by iggle (Post 11902422)

The one statement you did say that is correct, ISIS said they were coming, they told us they were going to send the refugees and we/EU have done nothing proactive about it.

And that is the problem with the lefties "Oh yes, let's all live together in a ****ing yurt" It'll never happen, it'll get worse.

However, on a positive note, it's good for my business here.

Meow Mar 22nd 2016 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 11902609)
And that is the problem with the lefties "Oh yes, let's all live together in a ****ing yurt" It'll never happen, it'll get worse.

You sick bastard.

mikelincs Mar 22nd 2016 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing (Post 11902609)

OK, I rarely do this, but you are someone that I'm putting on ignore.