Brunches

Old Feb 6th 2017, 5:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Brunches

Got the old dear over for her 60th in a few weeks, along with my Sister.

Want to go for a nice brunch but absolutely 100% am not interested in the slightest in going to an Al Qasr / Bubblehelmets type. I've done both of them in the last month for two birthdays and they're just not worth the money in my humble opinion.

Has anyone done some of the 'newer' ones that I'm reading about?

Maya at the Royal Meridien?
Secret Garden at the Waldorf?
Versailles at the new St Regis?

These three look to be quite good. Mummy's favourite was Traiteur and loved Prime 68 but want to take her to new places, obviously. Versailles looks good as she loves Bollinger, but I'm very open to suggestions if any of you have done any very good ones recently?
Old Feb 6th 2017, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brunches

Originally Posted by Scamp
Got the old dear over for her 60th in a few weeks, along with my Sister.

Want to go for a nice brunch but absolutely 100% am not interested in the slightest in going to an Al Qasr / Bubblehelmets type. I've done both of them in the last month for two birthdays and they're just not worth the money in my humble opinion.

Has anyone done some of the 'newer' ones that I'm reading about?

Maya at the Royal Meridien?
Secret Garden at the Waldorf?
Versailles at the new St Regis?

These three look to be quite good. Mummy's favourite was Traiteur and loved Prime 68 but want to take her to new places, obviously. Versailles looks good as she loves Bollinger, but I'm very open to suggestions if any of you have done any very good ones recently?
The one at the St Regis i really enjoyed , it's more of a foodies brunch and they take you through the menu top to bottom with a shell fish bar / salad area and foie gras station to supplement it.

You actually get to taste the food in an adult manner instead of having Yorkshire Pudding / Chicken Tikka and Opera Cake all on the same plate with 4 mojitos and 7 bottles of Sol
Old Feb 6th 2017, 7:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by co durham boy
The one at the St Regis i really enjoyed , it's more of a foodies brunch and they take you through the menu top to bottom with a shell fish bar / salad area and foie gras station to supplement it.

You actually get to taste the food in an adult manner instead of having Yorkshire Pudding / Chicken Tikka and Opera Cake all on the same plate with 4 mojitos and 7 bottles of Sol
Thanks mate. That's winning so far then.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks mate. That's winning so far then.
Location isn't great compared to a view where you see the ocean as you face the SZR but it's all about the food .

Some bloke dressed up as Napoleon firing the necks of bottles of Champers with a sword which is a kind of novelty at 2pm on a Friday .
Old Feb 6th 2017, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Terrible name, though. Versailles? I can just imagine the plastic types attracted to it solely by the name.

Old Feb 6th 2017, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, that could be interesting.

Since you know a thing or two about brunches and food, what's the best one in Doha?

I went to a joint brunch at the Kempinski on the Pearl (those trio of restaurants now do a shared brunch). It was fun but didn't think food was worth the money.

Location isn't great compared to a view where you see the ocean as you face the SZR but it's all about the food .

Some bloke dressed up as Napoleon firing the necks of bottles of Champers with a sword which is a kind of novelty at 2pm on a Friday .
Old Feb 6th 2017, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Ah, that could be interesting.

Since you know a thing or two about brunches and food, what's the best one in Doha?

I went to a joint brunch at the Kempinski on the Pearl (those trio of restaurants now do a shared brunch). It was fun but didn't think food was worth the money.
St Regis or the Grand Hyatt , both very good and decent bars too go to afterwards.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 8:26 am
Account Closed

Reviews say same about the view. Nevermind.

Napoleon sounds ****ing fantastic! Thanks.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Terrible name, though. Versailles? I can just imagine the plastic types attracted to it solely by the name.
I was surprised as it wasn't your typical brunch crowd . It was fairly quiet when we were there but most people were there for the food which was very good.

It's not a massive dining room but set out in a typical St Regis fashion like most of their hotels.

The people scurrying around in powdered faces and painted on beauty spots did look a a tad bizarre though but overall i enjoyed it and it's quite nice to eat a full menu but based around brunch.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

tintriangle is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=DXBtoDOH;.

what's the best one in Doha?

y.[/QUOTE]

Shangri-La brunch is very good but the option for bars thereafter not so good.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Maya at the Meridian is awful food...... it all tastes the same and for the cash, waaay over priced.

Did Dusty's last weekend.... they bring food to your table. Was tasty but nothing special. Although there were 25 of us and we were all a mess.

Did Wanderlust for Xmas day.... meh. Good range of drinks but didn't really get with it.

Haven't really done any others for a while.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 11:05 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Maya at the Meridian is awful food...... it all tastes the same and for the cash, waaay over priced.

Did Dusty's last weekend.... they bring food to your table. Was tasty but nothing special. Although there were 25 of us and we were all a mess.

Did Wanderlust for Xmas day.... meh. Good range of drinks but didn't really get with it.

Haven't really done any others for a while.
Thanks for Maya heads up. Went there for dinner a few weeks ago for a work thing, small group. Food was very good (rib eye fajitas) although very expensive. Serving tiny pots of guac, cheese and sour cream and then saying more costs is just offensive too. Restaurants fall down badly there. Was curious if brunch was good because it's such a nice setting but will avoid. Cheers.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for Maya heads up. Went there for dinner a few weeks ago for a work thing, small group. Food was very good (rib eye fajitas) although very expensive. Serving tiny pots of guac, cheese and sour cream and then saying more costs is just offensive too. Restaurants fall down badly there. Was curious if brunch was good because it's such a nice setting but will avoid. Cheers.
Yeah I didn't rate it at all. We went a year or so back. Smallish chilled group one evening for a set menu type affair. Everything they brought has some brown refried bean slop on it. A few (2-3) beers on top (think it was a sat night so nothing heavy) and then it ended up at like 350-400 a head. I felt violated.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 9:14 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

If you all like seafood try The Atlantic brunch. Located where Mango Tree was so you want a table on the terrace. All table service from a four course menu and decent value with Entertainer vouchers.

If you like Thai food you won't go wrong with Thai Kitchen at the Park Hyatt. Lovely location, all table service with unlimited food cooked to order and well priced.

Neither venue has one of those DJs who plays 'music' for their own benefit with no regard for patrons either.
Old Feb 7th 2017, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Also have a look at the 'Lets Brunch App'. Its run by Mr and Mrs Brunch of Facebook fame...

Its really good for reviews etc and if you pay the 99 dibs to get the full access you get deals at loads of different places.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.