Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Brits celebrate Thatcher's death

Brits celebrate Thatcher's death

Old Apr 9th 2013, 2:57 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brits celebrate Thatcher's death

Originally Posted by Fossildog
How did they manage to get time off work at such short notice?
Work?
Old Apr 9th 2013, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Agreed - for private citizens. She wasn't a private citizen for much of her life. I wouldn't bother personally as I wouldn't want to waste my time, but the public funeral is going to be interesting considering the depth of feeling.

At least we can be thankful that the UK is a country that permits such expressions of free speech.
Free speech is one thing, this is simply a show of bad manners and idiocy.IMHO
Old Apr 9th 2013, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to behold

Nothing to disagree with here:

Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams commenting on the death today of former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher said:

“Margaret Thatcher did great hurt to the Irish and British people during her time as British Prime Minister.

"Working class communities were devastated in Britain because of her policies.

"Her role in international affairs was equally belligerent whether in support of the Chilean dictator Pinochet, her opposition to sanctions against apartheid South Africa; and her support for the Khmer Rouge.

"Here in Ireland her espousal of old draconian militaristic policies prolonged the war and caused great suffering. She embraced censorship, collusion and the killing of citizens by covert operations, including the targeting of solicitors like Pat Finucane, alongside more open military operations and refused to recognise the rights of citizens to vote for parties of their choice.

"Her failed efforts to criminalise the republican struggle and the political prisoners is part of her legacy.

"It should be noted that in complete contradiction of her public posturing, she authorised a back channel of communications with the Sinn Féin leadership but failed to act on the logic of this.

"Unfortunately she was faced with weak Irish governments who failed to oppose her securocrat agenda or to enlist international support in defence of citizens in the north.

"Margaret Thatcher will be especially remembered for her shameful role during the epic hunger strikes of 1980 and 81.

"Her Irish policy failed miserably."

http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/26085
Old Apr 9th 2013, 4:20 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfrombarking

Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams commenting on the death today of former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher said:

“Margaret Thatcher did great hurt to the Irish and British people during her time as British Prime Minister.

"Her role in international affairs was equally belligerent whether in support of the Chilean dictator Pinochet, her opposition to sanctions against apartheid South Africa; and her support for the Khmer Rouge.

"Here in Ireland her espousal of old draconian militaristic policies prolonged the war and caused great suffering. She embraced censorship, collusion and the killing of citizens by covert operations, including the targeting of solicitors like Pat Finucane, alongside more open military operations and refused to recognise the rights of citizens to vote for parties of their choice.

"Her failed efforts to criminalise the republican struggle and the political prisoners is part of her legacy.

"It should be noted that in complete contradiction of her public posturing, she authorised a back channel of communications with the Sinn Féin leadership but failed to act on the logic of this.

"Unfortunately she was faced with weak Irish governments who failed to oppose her securocrat agenda or to enlist international support in defence of citizens in the north.

"Margaret Thatcher will be especially remembered for her shameful role during the epic hunger strikes of 1980 and 81.

Said by the cnut that tried to murder her and succeeded in killing 5 people and disabling others................. His words are worth nothing.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 4:47 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

The IRA bombs also devastated some places in the UK.

And absolute ****ing scumbag trying to get the British working class on-side.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 5:01 pm
It's not going to fit..

Bored_in_Riyadh is just really niceBored_in_Riyadh is just really niceBored_in_Riyadh is just really niceBored_in_Riyadh is just really niceBored_in_Riyadh is just really niceBored_in_Riyadh is just really niceBored_in_Riyadh is just really niceBored_in_Riyadh is just really nice

My older brother served in the Falklands War and returned unscathed, he then did a tour of Ireland (his 3rd) and was shot by the IRA (who had taken over a family's house opposite the barracks and used a heavy machine gun with armour piercing rounds to ambush his squad ).
Did I blame Margaret Thatcher ? No... I admire her guts and backbone and for not letting scum bully her.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 5:04 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bored_in_Riyadh
My older brother served
Did I blame Margaret Thatcher?
Blame her for what? Twisting his arm and making him sign up to join HM Forces and then not letting him leave when he wanted to??
Old Apr 9th 2013, 5:11 pm
It's not going to fit..

Bored_in_Riyadh is just really niceBored_in_Riyadh is just really niceBored_in_Riyadh is just really niceBored_in_Riyadh is just really niceBored_in_Riyadh is just really niceBored_in_Riyadh is just really niceBored_in_Riyadh is just really niceBored_in_Riyadh is just really nice

Originally Posted by mikewot
Blame her for what? Twisting his arm and making him sign up to join HM Forces and then not letting him leave when he wanted to??
Did you know my brother ?
Old Apr 9th 2013, 5:15 pm
Account Closed

Did you know my brother ?
Nope but I've known thousands of HM Forces personnel and I have never understood comments from families about politicians who 'put them in danger'. There seems to my mind to be some misunderstanding from families, especially of those tragically killed on active service, that Johnny was somehow coerced into joining the military. The reality is that they were adults who joined up of their own free will, who served understanding the risks and who could leave when they decided enough was enough.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 5:18 pm
It's not going to fit..

Nope but I've known thousands of HM Forces personnel and I have never understood comments from families about politicians who 'put them in danger'. There seems to my mind to be some misunderstanding from families, especially of those tragically killed on active service, that Johnny was somehow coerced into joining the military. The reality is that they were adults who joined up of their own free will, who served understanding the risks and who could leave when they decided enough was enough.
Don't judge me by others comments.
He wasn't coerced.
He could have left anytime.
I haven't blamed a politician or a PM - quite the opposite. I was paying a positive tribute to Margaret Thatcher.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 5:26 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Out of order.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 5:27 pm
Account Closed

I haven't blamed a politician or a PM - quite the opposite. I was paying a positive tribute to Margaret Thatcher.
OK I'm obviously a bit hard of understanding tonight but I couldn't make the connection between your brothers service & his injury and a politician. Yes politicians decide where they'll intervene using military force (war is politics by other means - Von Klauswitz) but the people in the forces are there through choice.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 5:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Out of order.
Please elucidate because I have no comprehension as to who or what is out of order.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 5:29 pm
It's not going to fit..

Out of order.
THANKYOU
Old Apr 9th 2013, 5:29 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Out of order.
Seconded.

Very aggressive and totally uncalled for IMHO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.