Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Briton jailed for spying in the UAE

Briton jailed for spying in the UAE

Old Nov 22nd 2018, 11:43 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Briton jailed for spying in the UAE

Originally Posted by psychopomp1
I would say those are exactly the type of people our security services would hire: intelligent*, behind a respectable profession and above all, which no-one would ever suspect of being a spy. Remember, the likes of M16 work behind extreme secrecy and there's not a cat in hell's chance, MI6 (or our Gov't) would ever come out and say "yes, he was working as a spy, now pls free him" as that would go against the grain in one of their main aims: keeping their operations secret (even failed operations).

The UAE - for all its draconian laws - doesn't just jail people for life willy nilly despite what you may have read in the Daily Mail. He appears to have been caught red handed with all the evidence on him when stopped at the airport. He definitely wasn't caught with just a few photos of sensitive sites, that is 100% certain.

Gulf News is usually fairly accurate in its reporting and I've no reason to doubt they're telling porkies in this case:
https://gulfnews.com/uae/briton-31-g....1542799607314

*obviously this chap wasn't intelligent enough to NOT get caught in his nefarious activities. Perhaps University standards are slipping these days? lol
They wouldn’t hire him because he’s not in a position to give them anything useful. He’s as much on the outside as any other British citizen in the UAE. If it had been a UAE citizen with security clearance or access to military/government facilities then the spy angle would be a lot more plausible.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

psychopomp1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Gulf News isn't telling us much. Nor is any alleged confession much. We all know they sign the confession in Arabic without knowing what it's actually saying.

I don't think it's anything more than some Muslim Brotherhood sympathising man asking the wrong questions of the wrong people. There are highly sensitive parties and figures in the UAE that the government keeps a very close watch on and this is their way of sending out warning signals to others.
Well, at the end of the day you have to remember that - during the Arab Spring period - some individuals/groups within the country tried to plot to overthrow the UAE Gov't. These plots obviously failed and some/all of these people are now serving life behind bars in UAE prisons. You cannot blame them for being paranoid wrt internal security matters because I guess they fear their country turning into another Libya or Syria if they are toppled....
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

What use would he be to anyone ? Does not even speak Arabic !
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 7:29 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
What use would he be to anyone ? Does not even speak Arabic !
that was a double bluff
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

UK presses are saying the UAE is seeking an amicable outcome for Matthew Hedges.

This pretty much confirms that Hedges was just a private individual asking stupid questions of politically sensitive characters in the UAE in the name of whatever research he was doing and the authorities bitch-slapped him as a warning to others. He'll be back home in time for Christmas pudding.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
UK presses are saying the UAE is seeking an amicable outcome for Matthew Hedges.

This pretty much confirms that Hedges was just a private individual asking stupid questions of politically sensitive characters in the UAE in the name of whatever research he was doing and the authorities bitch-slapped him as a warning to others. He'll be back home in time for Christmas pudding.
Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
My guess is pardoned for either Martyr's/anniversary day holiday or next Eid. I'd guess before Christmas.

Especially with the BBC airing this on Dec 6th.

Told you.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The charges said "working for a foreign power". maybe it was Albania or Monaco !
Old Nov 24th 2018, 2:06 pm
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Calm down everyone. I’ve met this guy quite a few times in Dubai and to say that he’s naive is a serious understatement.

In these days of cyber warfare, I guarantee no spy from any country wanders round asking random questions. I don’t know the details, but clearly this fella has overstepped his brief/acted stupidly/got caught in a bigger issue.

In response to the the question of someone doing the same in UK? Nobody gets anywhere near a sensitive site in a developed country without very serious background checks. Go drive up near GCHQ without an appointment and see how close you get.

Based uoon the reluctance to talk by the FCO and the UAEs conciliatory remarks, he’ll be home for Xmas.

Nothing to see here, move along.

P.s if it was serious detained in Dubai would be involved :P

Old Nov 25th 2018, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheShed
Calm down everyone. I’ve met this guy quite a few times in Dubai and to say that he’s naive is a serious understatement.

In these days of cyber warfare, I guarantee no spy from any country wanders round asking random questions. I don’t know the details, but clearly this fella has overstepped his brief/acted stupidly/got caught in a bigger issue.

In response to the the question of someone doing the same in UK? Nobody gets anywhere near a sensitive site in a developed country without very serious background checks. Go drive up near GCHQ without an appointment and see how close you get.

Based uoon the reluctance to talk by the FCO and the UAEs conciliatory remarks, he’ll be home for Xmas.

Nothing to see here, move along.

why do I never get to meet all these cool people?
Old Nov 25th 2018, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheShed

Just for you Sheddy

https://tinyurl.com/DetainedInDubai
Old Nov 26th 2018, 4:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse

why do I never get to meet all these cool people?
What's cool about going to jail?
Old Nov 26th 2018, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
What's cool about going to jail?
zero. But there’s some posters on here who always seem to be on first name terms with everyone that end up in the daily mail.

I reckon he will be pardoned in Martyrs day and, knowing that, the life sentence was handed out to send a message.
Old Nov 26th 2018, 4:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse

zero. But there’s some posters on here who always seem to be on first name terms with everyone that end up in the daily mail.

I reckon he will be pardoned in Martyrs day and, knowing that, the life sentence was handed out to send a message.
You know me on first name terms, that's miles better.
Old Nov 26th 2018, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Scamp
You know me on first name terms, that's miles better.
This is true and I don’t want to see your mug in the mail.
Old Nov 26th 2018, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

He's been released with immediate effect for UAE National Day.

Just like I said, funny that eh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.