British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Briton destitute in Dubai returns to UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/briton-destitute-dubai-returns-uk-681402/)

Autonomy Aug 16th 2010 9:32 am

Briton destitute in Dubai returns to UK

Why you should avoid any debts here...

"Nicholas Warner, the British man living rough on the streets of Dubai, is travelling back to the UK.

Mr Warner had been sleeping in parks and public places around the city for nearly 12 weeks."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-10981494

TGFKASE Aug 16th 2010 9:35 am

Re: Briton destitute in Dubai returns to UK

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 8780230)
Why you should avoid any debts here...

"Nicholas Warner, the British man living rough on the streets of Dubai, is travelling back to the UK.

Mr Warner had been sleeping in parks and public places around the city for nearly 12 weeks."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-10981494

Numpty.......!!!!

Grace O Malley Aug 16th 2010 11:42 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 8780238)
Numpty.......!!!!

Ewe, hope he showered before he got on the flight...

Autonomy Aug 16th 2010 12:13 pm

Well, if this survey is correct... :blink:

Debtors in UAE owe average of $136,000

Despite the reputation of the UAE as a location where expats can save money, around 85 percent of residents in the country are in debt, a new survey has claimed.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/59503...rage-of-136000

Patsy Stoned Aug 16th 2010 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 8780546)
Well, if this survey is correct... :blink:

Debtors in UAE owe average of $136,000

Despite the reputation of the UAE as a location where expats can save money, around 85 percent of residents in the country are in debt, a new survey has claimed.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/59503...rage-of-136000

The statistics were revealed by the International Swiss Debt Management (ISDM) consultancy, which added that one quarter of those in debt are female.

Errrrrr... which means that 3/4's of those in debt are male

“A recent client survey revealed that the average individual debt is around AED500,000 in United Arab Emirates (UAE).
What???? Dear God especially considering this.....................

Residents from India and the Philippines rank as the highest in terms of total debt by nationality, followed by Pakistan and South Africa.

Scary stuff.

BurpusMe Aug 16th 2010 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 8780703)
The statistics were revealed by the International Swiss Debt Management (ISDM) consultancy, which added that one quarter of those in debt are female.

“A recent client survey revealed that the average individual debt is around AED500,000 in United Arab Emirates (UAE).

Residents from India and the Philippines rank as the highest in terms of total debt by nationality, followed by Pakistan and South Africa.

Scary stuff.

I assume this figure includes bad mortgages.
Goddamn, that's a lot of dodgy debt.

Ethos83 Aug 16th 2010 1:25 pm

3/4 of the population here are male, I believe.

If you factor in everyone with debt and that includes people with mortgages and anyone with a credit card balance, you will probably get the clear majority of the population except those who operate strictly on a cash only basis. I don't consider myself to have debt because I pay off my credit card monthly but in between the payments I may have as much as 1-2k on the card, which does mean I technically have debt.

Still, the average debt amount is quite high. Startling high. I'd think it has to do with including everyone with a peak mortgage. The Indian owner of this one-bed I looked at in the Burj Views paid 2.25 million AED for the property in '08. I just saw a for-sale listing for the same type unit for, ta de dah, 977,000 AED.....

Gotta hurt.

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 8780703)

Scary stuff.

Meow Aug 16th 2010 1:31 pm

Nicholas Warner was not sleeping rough, at least for no more than a night or two. He has been staying with friends since the story broke.

He also broke the terms of his loan agreements and would not talk to the bank when he was in debt. His going on holiday was the final straw for the bank which is why they went to the police.

No one disagrees that the penalties are harsh, but you cannot deny that they are well known.
-

Ethos83 Aug 16th 2010 1:35 pm

The guy's clearly an idiot. If the bank was threatening him then why the ***** did he come back to DXB from his holiday?

And why did he take a holiday when he had so much debt?

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8780732)
Nicholas Warner was not sleeping rough, at least for no more than a night or two. He has been staying with friends since the story broke.

He also broke the terms of his loan agreements and would not talk to the bank when he was in debt. His going on holiday was the final straw for the bank which is why they went to the police.

No one disagrees that the penalties are harsh, but you cannot deny that they are well known.
-

norsk Aug 16th 2010 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 8780741)
The guy's clearly an idiot. If the bank was threatening him then why the ***** did he come back to DXB from his holiday?

And why did he take a holiday when he had so much debt?

I believe you answered your own question before you even asked it....

He was a first class muppet who probably felt that he had been hard done by and therefore refused to cooperate with the lenders. Very intelligent...

Out of interest have you ever met a person in serious debt (I mean like up to their eyeballs) who was willing to admit that they were largely to blame for the situation? Everybody likes to blame everyone else when things go to the wall...

Charismatic Aug 17th 2010 6:18 am

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 8780964)
Out of interest have you ever met a person in serious debt (I mean like up to their eyeballs) who was willing to admit that they were largely to blame for the situation?

*Puts hand up*

But to be fair it’s all an investment in education...not that I remember even a small fraction of it now. Also like Dubai if you skip the country you don’t have to pay it back, you can’t return however (or they don't let you leave until you pay it back with interest).

Meow Aug 17th 2010 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 8782261)
*Puts hand up*

But to be fair it’s all an investment in education...not that I remember even a small fraction of it now. Also like Dubai if you skip the country you don’t have to pay it back, you can’t return however (or they don't let you leave until you pay it back with interest).

That's no longer true

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/59439...overseas-debts

Charismatic Aug 17th 2010 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8782700)

Thank god I’m not Australian!

Side note: As you may be aware there is an close election in Australia and being good racists :rolleyes: one of the central topics is “boat people” and how to “deal” with them. There was a great quote in the paper the other day from former Australian Prime Minister, Bob Hawke who said “We're all bloody boat people, that's how we found the place” :rofl:.

BurpusMe Aug 17th 2010 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8782700)

Debt skippers are infuriating –– their actions make it more difficult and expensive for legitimate users of credit.

Skippers use Dubai's laws as an excuse to run away.
However they often don't repay debts from abroad –– further reinforcing the notion that they should have been contained in the country until the debt is cleared.

I say kill them and sell their organs on the blackmarket.
At least they'll cover some of the debt?

Semi Good Lookin Aug 18th 2010 2:36 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8780732)

-

Rather judgmental, aren't we?

Let he who is without debt cast the first stone!