British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Is the British weather really that bad? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/british-weather-really-bad-748323/)

Meow Feb 13th 2012 6:39 am

Is the British weather really that bad?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16963717

"British weather is often seen as a drawback but a marketing campaign is hoping to use the nation's favourite talking point to attract foreigners. So can Britain's weather really boost tourism?

There is little Britons love moaning about more than the weather.

Barely a day passes without a familiar exchange along the lines of: "Isn't it terrible weather? Isn't it cold out?". Indeed some would argue that - along with tea drinking and queueing - lamenting the weather is almost woven into British DNA.

But according to Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt, Britain is selling itself short. He says British weather is much better than both Britons and foreigners - who tend to think of Britain as a rainy and cold country - believe.

Announcing a government campaign to attract more tourists, he told the Times: "We have much lower rainfall than Paris. We have to make sure people understand the reality about the weather."

So could the weather actually be Britain's secret weapon?
" and more...

Victor Meldrew Feb 13th 2012 6:54 am

Re: Is the British weather really that bad?

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9899004)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16963717

"British weather is often seen as a drawback but a marketing campaign is hoping to use the nation's favourite talking point to attract foreigners. So can Britain's weather really boost tourism?

There is little Britons love moaning about more than the weather.

Barely a day passes without a familiar exchange along the lines of: "Isn't it terrible weather? Isn't it cold out?". Indeed some would argue that - along with tea drinking and queueing - lamenting the weather is almost woven into British DNA.

But according to Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt, Britain is selling itself short. He says British weather is much better than both Britons and foreigners - who tend to think of Britain as a rainy and cold country - believe.

Announcing a government campaign to attract more tourists, he told the Times: "We have much lower rainfall than Paris. We have to make sure people understand the reality about the weather."

So could the weather actually be Britain's secret weapon?
" and more...

A sunny British Summers day is difficult to beat and would always be my weather of choice.

If it is dry and bright, it's fine

Snow is nice, unless it sticks around for longer than a week, then freezes or goes into slush. (I spent four days Christmas 2010 in Birmingham in the big freeze. It was not a pleasant experience that I want to repeat soon).

Rain is refeshing, if it is accompanied by bright skies and is not accompanied by the dark, grey skies which it usually does. If it goes on continually for longer than a couple of days - which it always does, it's a pain

I think the biggest negative about British weather is how much it limits the ability to stay outdoors.

Apart from in the summer, I would never consider it a selling point.

kittycat1 Feb 13th 2012 6:54 am

I like the weather in Blighty, what I don't like is the public transport in certain weather, Spring is fine, Summer - if you do have a hot day the underground is horrific, but I always used to get the us around London anyway, Autumn- leaves on the track stopping trains- WTF- Winter- snow- everything grinds to a halt- I've had many 7 hour journeys to get home ( 1 1/2 hour journey) because you can't get anywhere when an inch of snow falls.

But all lovely if you don't have to work!

I speak to my mum about 3 times a week and she always asks me what the weathers like- I have no idea what she is expecting me to say- its sunny and warm, its sunny and hot or its sunny and forking hot! I think once I've told her it rained...

Pomster Feb 13th 2012 7:19 am

on good days it is great on bad days it is awful...

Last year April and May were fabulous, the sadly after that summer disappeared til the first weekend in October!

Right now the papers are full of the 'big freeze'...mainly because winter to this point was decidedly mild, then winter came with a blast at the end of Jan. Minus anything is too cold for me. I am definitely more of a warm weather person as I prefer being outdoors.

Brits do love talking about the weather- mainly because it gives you plenty to talk about as it is so changeable!

shiva Feb 13th 2012 7:45 am

There's no such thing as British weather.
My In laws have a completely different expectation and experience of summer down in Kent that my folks do in Scotland. The south east also experiences much more snow than most of Scotland in winter. Yet another piece of bollocks from the politicians.
Don't even get me started on Aberdeen and its weather.

The Dean Feb 13th 2012 8:30 am

I believe we get fewer inches of rainfall annually than most Caribbean islands........

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 13th 2012 11:13 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9899124)
I believe we get fewer inches of rainfall annually than most Caribbean islands........

Mmmm.

I was on a sailing holiday in / around Antigua in February. It used to shit it down like I've never seen before for about 35-50 minutes. Then clouds disappeared and back to clear blue skies and warm sun.

The rain each day alone must have been equivalent to 2-3 days of UK drizzle.

Norm_uk Feb 14th 2012 9:12 am

I've seen rain in the Tropics come down like someone had simply overturned a giant bath tub in the sky- in 25 years in the UK I only saw rain coming close to that once...the weather in Britain is great, the only issue I've had is those mild days where it changes fast and you never know if you need to bring a proper jacket or not.

Britons moan about everything, that's a firm cultural trait we all seem to share. The weather is no exception.

I prefer a few days of rain and drizzle with grey skies and wind to constant sunshine blinding you everytime you walk out the door - that's why I live in the UAE of course :o)

But seriously, it is a reason to go home when I retire - assuming there are any Britons left by then ;)

N.

OleJanx Feb 14th 2012 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9901156)
I've seen rain in the Tropics come down like someone had simply overturned a giant bath tub in the sky- in 25 years in the UK I only saw rain coming close to that once...the weather in Britain is great, the only issue I've had is those mild days where it changes fast and you never know if you need to bring a proper jacket or not.

Britons moan about everything, that's a firm cultural trait we all seem to share. The weather is no exception.

I prefer a few days of rain and drizzle with grey skies and wind to constant sunshine blinding you everytime you walk out the door - that's why I live in the UAE of course :o)

But seriously, it is a reason to go home when I retire - assuming there are any Britons left by then ;)

N.

You'll probably have to move to Poland.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 14th 2012 11:42 am

:rofl:

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 9901199)

Norm_uk Feb 15th 2012 4:41 am

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 9901199)

I could use it as a base to retake the British Isles from it's new demographic. A sort of reverse WWII situation where Poles came to Britain to fight against the Nazi occupation. ;)

In all seriousness I like the Poles and think we let them down by letting the Soviets roll in after WWII.

N.

Bahtatboy Feb 15th 2012 8:31 am

The bloke obviously has no clue whatsoever about marketing campaigns.

OleJanx Feb 15th 2012 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9903140)

The bloke obviously has no clue whatsoever about marketing campaigns.

Bloke is talking out of his hat, or something else round and inappropriate.

lullabelle Feb 15th 2012 3:24 pm

i sat in a london park last summer under some big old man trees as the gentle summer rain came down.

It was rather magical. I'm really looking forward to going home in roughly two/three weeks time and enjoying the spring and freshly mown grass. And blue skies. I do miss appreciating a gorgeous day.

Having said that, I love the fact that I have not worn socks for 19 months. I'm in India at the moment and the weather is ... hot and sunny. Same old same old!

seven seas Feb 15th 2012 3:30 pm

sunny days in summer
in London
in a park

excellent!