British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   British soldier dies in an effort to rescue an American journalist (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/british-soldier-dies-effort-rescue-american-journalist-630030/)

Edo Sep 10th 2009 8:08 am

British soldier dies in an effort to rescue an American journalist

Another tragedy as our country blindly follows American policy of invasion and expansion:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...ournalist.html

Inselaffen Sep 10th 2009 8:39 am

Re: British soldier dies in an effort to rescue an American journalist

Originally Posted by Edo (Post 7919359)
Another tragedy as our country blindly follows American policy of invasion and expansion:

Sad that a British soldier died to rescue this journalist, but the mission in Afghanistan was/is an important one. The counrty under the Taliban was being used as a government sponsored training ground for terrorists. Very different from Iraq.

lionheart Sep 10th 2009 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Edo (Post 7919359)

But if you bother to read the article, you will see that the journalist was actually British/Irish too.

Edo Sep 10th 2009 8:53 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7919412)
But if you bother to read the article, you will see that the journalist was actually British/Irish too.

Well spotted, thats why I said 'american journalist'. Of course working for NY Times doesnt make him a British journalist does it.

Edo Sep 10th 2009 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 7919398)
Sad that a British soldier died to rescue this journalist, but the mission in Afghanistan was/is an important one. The counrty under the Taliban was being used as a government sponsored training ground for terrorists. Very different from Iraq.

ummm I kind of agree but who contracted us to go out on war expeditions aiming to sort out the world order. Least to mention 07/07 was all home grown terrorism which didnt have ANY links to the training grounds of Afghanistan

Autonomy Sep 10th 2009 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Edo (Post 7919417)
Well spotted, thats why I said 'american journalist'. Of course working for NY Times doesnt make him a British journalist does it.

Sorry to be a pedant here - he is a British / Irish journalist working for an American employer. That does not make him an American journalist...

Sad that his translator also died, but not only that his body was not removed and left there for the villagers to find his mobile phone and call his Kabul office...

Cry haddock Sep 10th 2009 2:53 pm

To be kidnapped once in a warzone is unlucky, twice is just careless. The fact that people died thanks to his pursuit of his story is terrible for all involved. Hopefully he will learn and be more cautious before he gets more people killed.

NorthernLad Sep 10th 2009 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Cry haddock (Post 7920240)
To be kidnapped once in a warzone is unlucky, twice is just careless. The fact that people died thanks to his pursuit of his story is terrible for all involved. Hopefully he will learn and be more cautious before he gets more people killed.

From what I read he was warned to get out of there and ignored it. Maybe it's not the full story, but whatever it was got him in that situation in the first case will be of no comfort to the soldiers family.
I expect we'll see an exclusive account from him in one of the papers in the near future. Until then I'll refrain from calling him a ****.

Edo Sep 11th 2009 5:40 am

Exactly, and we now have Mr. Brown admitting that the operation was carried out with his consent. As a matter of fact the people of media do think they are the all powerful and the untouchables but it's disgusting to see how our politicians give in so easily to their pressure. I can imagine all it took was one 'request' from the head of NY Times and Brown didn't waste a moment to authorise that bloodbath.

The Dean Sep 11th 2009 6:23 am

Negotiations were under way...... everyone agrees that they would all have been released unharmed within 48 hours or so.

Government cock-up, military cock-up.

That gives me an idea - let's compile a list of "Things That Britain Gets Right These Days"............ er.... er.... :blink:

MacScot Sep 11th 2009 7:16 am

The soldier was a paratrooper from East Kilbride...

http://www.heraldscotland.com:80/new...death-1.919076

Edo Sep 11th 2009 7:48 am

[QUOTE=MacScot;7922392]The soldier was a paratrooper from East Kilbride...

If I was someone who was in favour of this war (aka occupation) this is what I'd say to this. C'mon he was only a soldier isnt it a soldier's job to give his life for the country?

ukmouse Sep 11th 2009 9:13 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7922323)

That gives me an idea - let's compile a list of "Things That Britain Gets Right These Days"............ er.... er.... :blink:

..... they have airports with planes for disollusioned Brits to board ... oh, and freedom of speech to yell "Get me out of here" as you're climbing the plane steps.

Just my suggestion for your list. :D

Blue Cat Sep 11th 2009 4:03 pm

[QUOTE=Edo;7922432]

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 7922392)
The soldier was a paratrooper from East Kilbride...

If I was someone who was in favour of this war (aka occupation) this is what I'd say to this. C'mon he was only a soldier isnt it a soldier's job to give his life for the country?

as horrible as that sounds that is why my husband says as well :( me I just cry everytime I see another soldier killed :(

MacScot Sep 11th 2009 4:43 pm

[QUOTE=Blue Cat;7923452]

Originally Posted by Edo (Post 7922432)

as horrible as that sounds that is why my husband says as well :( me I just cry everytime I see another soldier killed :(

The quotes are broken..I only said "The soldier was a paratrooper from East Kilbride..." Not your fault though ! :) I think Edo missed the last slash 'quote' in square brackets !