British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   British Schoolboy Death (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/british-schoolboy-death-752959/)

mentalist Mar 27th 2012 3:02 pm

British Schoolboy Death

How come Gulf News have not yet reported this story?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...st_read_module

Kix Mar 27th 2012 3:06 pm

Re: British Schoolboy Death

My son knew him, played rugby with him, he was told at around 3am on Sunday morning. Tragic.

Millhouse Mar 27th 2012 3:43 pm

Really sad news. I feel for his parents - let's hope the police don't hunt the person that supplied the alcohol too.

Kix Mar 27th 2012 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9975184)
Really sad news. I feel for his parents - let's hope the police don't hunt the person that supplied the alcohol too.

Why not, surely cutting off the supply is important?

The kids in JC used to get it off some bloke they called the milkman, when they got arrested for being drunk all the police wanted was the name and cell number of the person who supplied them with booze, then they call the parents (usually father), who would have to go to the cop shop (usually Bur Dubai) and then they'd get let off with a warning.

The milkman is replaced every few months, it's like older kids selling drugs outside the school gates in the UK, except it's not older kids and it's not hard drugs.

Millhouse Mar 27th 2012 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 9975357)
Why not, surely cutting off the supply is important?

The kids in JC used to get it off some bloke they called the milkman, when they got arrested for being drunk all the police wanted was the name and cell number of the person who supplied them with booze, then they call the parents (usually father), who would have to go to the cop shop (usually Bur Dubai) and then they'd get let off with a warning.

The milkman is replaced every few months, it's like older kids selling drugs outside the school gates in the UK, except it's not older kids and it's not hard drugs.

because the rumour is that it was a parent...

Kix Mar 27th 2012 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9975378)

Aaaaah.

Ethos83 Mar 27th 2012 6:20 pm

How did the kid get to the construction site and manage to climb an unfinished tower? Don't these sites have security guards?

Would a parent take drunk teenagers to a project site? I suppose they took a taxi or walked to one. Still, there's a lot of other people implicit in his death. What a shame. An evening of one bad mistake followed by another and a bunch of lives in deep shit.

Anyone go over to expatwoman to get all the juicy detail? Or is their mods squelching all news?

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9975378)

commander Mar 27th 2012 8:05 pm

I'm unsure how to articulate this, but we all do silly things and I as a 14 year old got drunk and did stupid things..really stupid things..

What a shame. I went to school with a boy that fell off a balcony when drunk at 17...under age but no_one wanted to press charges.

I believe 'misadventure' is the phrase..

shiva Mar 28th 2012 3:00 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 9975594)
I'm unsure how to articulate this, but we all do silly things and I as a 14 year old got drunk and did stupid things..really stupid things..

What a shame. I went to school with a boy that fell off a balcony when drunk at 17...under age but no_one wanted to press charges.

I believe 'misadventure' is the phrase..

Agreed, sad definately a tragedy worthy of a witch hunt, no.
Drunk kids does stupid shit, comes a cropper, not a new story, not the first and not the last, a witch hunt serves merely to cover up the reality that teenagers are fundamentally idiots.

For the record a friends sister died pissed in a pool at age 20. Shit happens when people get pissed, end off.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 28th 2012 4:16 am

Couple of the papers reporting different 'tweets' from him saying all sorts of things like "**** the system".

Whether those things indicate a will to climb up that many storeys and jump or just fell dicking about it makes it no better.

Tragic waste

Sandboy Mar 28th 2012 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9976225)
Couple of the papers reporting different 'tweets' from him saying all sorts of things like "**** the system".

Whether those things indicate a will to climb up that many storeys and jump or just fell dicking about it makes it no better.

Tragic waste

I'm please I didn't have twitter when I was 15 - or unfinished tower blocks to wander around while pissed. Poor kid

Bahtatboy Mar 28th 2012 10:16 am

I think we've all been through the "**** the system" phase. Deeply unfortunate that a combination of drink and a dangerous place led to tragedy. H&S is appalling here (as it is in most of the 3rd world), but even with all the protection possible, teenagers will get themselves in dangerous situations. I hope it was an accident--suicide is even more awful to deal with.

Millsyisland Mar 28th 2012 10:24 am

Any health and safety issues will be completely overlooked in favour of blaming the demon drink though. Whilst I'm sure it was a contributing factor, it will be used as the scapegoat over the fact that he could get into the building site and climb the tower, and whatever other contributing factors there were.

They're always trying to blame drink-drivers for every road accident and road death whereas I've no doubt the fact that many drive like idiots is more to blame.

Norm_uk Mar 28th 2012 11:36 am

It's sad but where were his parents?

I was raised being allowed to drink at home and our family parties were usually far better than hanging out with the bitter for no valid reason middle class teens in my peer group.

My best teen hangovers were at family weddings. :) My son is ten and he already knows when he wants to try beer he comes to dad...(which is so far only twice a week).

Waste of a young life that could have gone somewhere. I hope the police get the supplier.

N.

Kix Mar 31st 2012 9:52 am

And guess what, The Daily Mail has written a load of bollocks on it all again.

Here

I don't know why I even look at their site, it makes me wanna chuck.