Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Are British Muslims being priced out of Hajj?

Are British Muslims being priced out of Hajj?

Old Nov 16th 2010, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are British Muslims being priced out of Hajj?

Originally Posted by Roadking
I've heard there is talk of turning it into a theme park...?
They will have a new airport at Medina in a few years.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 6:43 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
They will have a new airport at Medina in a few years.
What? Really low cost; land yourself with the aid of.....
Old Nov 17th 2010, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
What? Really low cost; land yourself with the aid of.....
Your own private magic carpet.
Just see the aircraft pan and Med all those lovely carpets .
Better than these big airplanes!!
Old Nov 17th 2010, 6:05 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

It's so obvious Muhammad (if he actually existed - there's no contemporary evidence of this, same as Jesus) made a deal with the Meccans to convert and he would ensure a steady stream of money in the form of pilgrims coming into town...

Mecca would probably have vanished centuries ago but for the hajj and it's status as a holy site (although saying that it was a holy site to the pre-islamic peoples for centuries too...had a nice collection of idols and stones - apparently they kept one of them but that insinuates that middle eastern monotheism is actually recycled paganism which could never be the case right
Old Nov 17th 2010, 7:41 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Read an article in one of the local rags this morning, over my McMuffin, that the whole area is booming, and they expect the number of religious tourists to double within the next couple of years, Medina and another aiport to increase capacity fivefold-ish, there's already a huge range of hotels from those with Asprey toiletries costing $1,000 a night down to basic level, but even the basic level are too expensive for many of the pilgrims. Whichever twat wrote the article explained that Turks, Brits, Morrocans (and a few other nationalities, can't remember which but don't think they were Arab) preferred the high-class hotels, while Pakistanis preferred the cheaper ones. Yeah, like I prefer my VW to an Aston Martin.

Anyway, its becoming big business for Saudi, and looks to be recession and inflation-proof. I think theme park's the right idea.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 8:10 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, a Saudi friend of mine was explaining the difference between the "cheap" tents - 50 people, one toilet between them, still costing 2k pounds - and the "luxury" ones, with beds, studies, internet access, full bathrooms etc, costing 20k pounds up.

Old Nov 17th 2010, 8:12 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Making money out of people in the name of religion?

I am shocked. Truly shocked I tell you...

Old Nov 17th 2010, 12:23 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
Yeah, a Saudi friend of mine was explaining the difference between the "cheap" tents - 50 people, one toilet between them, still costing 2k pounds - and the "luxury" ones, with beds, studies, internet access, full bathrooms etc, costing 20k pounds up.

There is a good National Geographic documentary on Mecca, worth downloading. It looks mental when the Hajj is on. It shows where the sheep are slaughtered, as well as banning infidels from Mecca it looks like they also banned health and safety officers.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

Romulan is just really niceRomulan is just really niceRomulan is just really niceRomulan is just really niceRomulan is just really niceRomulan is just really niceRomulan is just really niceRomulan is just really nice

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
It's so obvious Muhammad (if he actually existed - there's no contemporary evidence of this, same as Jesus) made a deal with the Meccans to convert and he would ensure a steady stream of money in the form of pilgrims coming into town...

Mecca would probably have vanished centuries ago but for the hajj and it's status as a holy site (although saying that it was a holy site to the pre-islamic peoples for centuries too...had a nice collection of idols and stones - apparently they kept one of them but that insinuates that middle eastern monotheism is actually recycled paganism which could never be the case right
There's plenty of evidence that Muhammad existed. Unless all of Arabia at the time was delusional and he nothing but a figment of their collective imagination, both the pagans and the Muslims.