British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Are British Muslims being priced out of Hajj? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/british-muslims-being-priced-out-hajj-693708/)

Bahtatboy Nov 16th 2010 5:09 am

Are British Muslims being priced out of Hajj?

During Hajj, Muslim men dress alike, in the simplest of white clothes - rich and poor, equal before God.

But poor Muslims say this spirit of equality will be undermined if the rising price of pilgrimage excludes them from their holy city.

Some travel companies have been blamed by British Muslims for the surge in prices, and some have been accused outright of overcharging vulnerable people.

Sean Tipton, of the Association of British Travel Agents, says part of the problem is that many of the companies are unregulated, and ready to squeeze as much revenue as they can out of a market where demand is rising.

Shock horror. Companies in a capitalist society obeying the law of supply and demand, and not ensuring that a certain religious minority with no history in the country can travel cheaply to walk round a rock a few times.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11749511

Boomhauer Nov 16th 2010 6:27 am

Re: Are British Muslims being priced out of Hajj?

Why doesn't Saudi Arabia and the oil rich Gulf States subsidize the cost of travel and lodging for these Muslims who can't afford the trip.

Meow Nov 16th 2010 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 8984693)
Why doesn't Saudi Arabia and the oil rich Gulf States subsidize the cost of travel and lodging for these Muslims who can't afford the trip.

Now you are assuming that they actually care about those who are less well off...

Ethos83 Nov 16th 2010 6:33 am

It's expensive for British Muslims to leave the UK to travel on the Hajj?

Appalling.

It should be the other way around. Subsidized by the Government . Just one condition: one-way ticket only.

Blue Cat Nov 16th 2010 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8984697)
Now you are assuming that they actually care about those who are less well off...

and they only give money away during Ramadan

Ethos83 Nov 16th 2010 6:34 am

Saudi has a lot of oil riches but on a per capita basis it isn't a very rich country, not like the Gulf States. The UAE, Kuwait and Qatar are filthy rich because they have tiny native populations.

typical Nov 16th 2010 7:27 am

You also can't underestimate the logistical exercise of getting two million people in one place at once. The Hajj is a massive, massive undertaking for the country. In some ways it's amazing they make it work at all.

Blue Cat Nov 16th 2010 7:41 am

Originally Posted by typical (Post 8984772)
You also can't underestimate the logistical exercise of getting two million people in one place at once. The Hajj is a massive, massive undertaking for the country. In some ways it's amazing they make it work at all.

but it doesn't work, how many get killed each year?

Bahtatboy Nov 16th 2010 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 8984781)

Don't anybody say it.

glynster Nov 16th 2010 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8984826)
Don't anybody say it.

I didnt even think it..........until you mentioned it, titter titter.

Meow Nov 16th 2010 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 8984781)

Not really a surprise when one of the things they do is chuck rocks about. :rolleyes:

Boomhauer Nov 16th 2010 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8984697)

I am shocked, I thought charity was one of 5 pillars of Islam.

kimilseung Nov 16th 2010 6:14 pm

I know India for one coutry subsidizes Haj travel. Though of course non muslims are not all happy about it.
I find this quote interesting as it reminds us that Haj is only to be done if you can afford to do so.

On ending the subsidy:
"There is no demand for the subsidy. The Haj becomes necessary only if you can afford it - physically as well as financially. If the government wants to end it (the subsidy), I will more than welcome that,"
Maulana Abdul Hamid Nomani, spokesperson of the Jamiat Ulema-e-Hind

Millhouse Nov 16th 2010 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8984826)
Don't anybody say it.

I was going to say one is too much. Is that what you had in mind?

Roadking Nov 16th 2010 6:23 pm

I've heard there is talk of turning it into a theme park...?