Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

British couple kidnapped in very bad way

British couple kidnapped in very bad way

Old Feb 2nd 2010, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

msi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nicemsi64 is just really nice
Default Re: British couple kidnapped in very bad way

Rescuing this couple would not be a deterent in any way shape or form!
However a show of serious force against these Pirates would maybe finally show the Lion still has some teeth. We all know this weak Govt are not prepared to protect our subjects abroad.
An aircraft carrier was a way to portray your Power overseas, but now we dont have enough to go round.
And before anyone goes on about starting wars with Somalia please remember that its pirates I want to brass up not a country. If you fly under the flag of Piracy then you have no rights.
Our Navy has a proud tradition of messing up Pirates through the ages!!
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 6:03 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
On the face of it interesting question - i.e. both scenarios could equate in death.

However I think this is a simplistic reduction.
not at all, its a redction to the nub of the matter

In one case it is a case of punishment and the other of rescue.make no mistake british troops undertaking a rescue would be far more punishment than a civilised excecution, one would be a failry quiet well undertaken afair the other a hellish scene of chaos and death and certainly more terrifying and horrific than the former One will 100% result in death as that is the intention the other may result in deaths but that is not the intention.again the aim Would be death, to go in with a "can you please hand them over" attitude would risk more lives as such it would be the distinct aim to incapacitate the pirates asap and since they would be using bullets and given somalias healthcare system even an injury would likely be a death sentence

One is a choice the other is due to a lack of choice. but still a choice would be made

One is (allegedly) a muppet by choice the others are muppets by misadventure.misadventure is stil a choice

I could go on, however I don't see the correlation....
i do.

sending in the troops of whatever kind would very likely be an execution in all but name, look at operation barras in sierra leone as an example. for 6 hostages we sent 6 helicopters, 1 ship and almost 200 troops resulting in the death of at least 25 rebels (it was probably a lot more) and 1 brit with numerous casualties on each side. Given the rag tag nature of the pirates it is almost certain that most would be killed.

all that said i have no problem with the above. as we clearly cannot pay a ransom we should send in the troops, somalia is a very failed state and the problem isnt going to go away by itself.
no carrot would work in this situation without encouraging further problems so its time for the **** off big stick.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 3:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

we need to start blowing these pirates out of the water.
their piracy is already putting up prices for goods. most shipowners will not let their vessels pass through Suez as they have to run the risk of a Gulf of Aden passage.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 4:32 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Some pictures of the Americans doing the bit to scare the pirates off...
Attached Thumbnails British couple kidnapped in very bad way-salute3.jpg   British couple kidnapped in very bad way-turn3.jpg   British couple kidnapped in very bad way-salute4.jpg  
Old Feb 4th 2010, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
we need to start blowing these pirates out of the water.
their piracy is already putting up prices for goods. most shipowners will not let their vessels pass through Suez as they have to run the risk of a Gulf of Aden passage.
You have hit the nail on the head. the international community will only agree to a mandate/resolution for "blowing these pirates out of the water" when it starts to have a serious commerical impact, as with that comes the inevitable political fallout.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

They are freaking pirates, I cant see anything wrong with blowing them out of the water...and preferably into a very hot, uncomfortable place.
Why are they tolerated? Ah yes, our pc world........
Old Feb 4th 2010, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Cry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Alexa
Tolerated implies that we could put a stop to piracy if we wanted to - the solutions to date seem to just be convoy tactics and onboard defence in the event of an attack. Short of flooding the area with the Navy (whats left of ours anyway) there is little else that can be done to stop the opertunitistic pirates - It works very much like a land based insurgency/failed state - no identifiable command and control structure to 'take out', fractured gangs with little association to each other.
The leftie in me says the only solution is long term nation building and support of a legitimate local government - fix the failed state and them let them look after themselves.
The realist in me says the Chandlers are screwed unless a church/benefactor pays up (and I'm sure FCO are giving them all assistance in finding one). I think the chances of a direct military intervention are extremely low.
CH
Old Feb 4th 2010, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

They are freaking pirates, I cant see anything wrong with blowing them out of the water...and preferably into a very hot, uncomfortable place.
In international waters, you can't simply blow up other ships when you know there is a problem - you need a mandate and a legal framework to support actions, otherwise thsoe doing the blowing up have no legal protection. Same as on land.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cry haddock
Tolerated implies that we could put a stop to piracy if we wanted to - the solutions to date seem to just be convoy tactics and onboard defence in the event of an attack. Short of flooding the area with the Navy (whats left of ours anyway) there is little else that can be done to stop the opertunitistic pirates - It works very much like a land based insurgency/failed state - no identifiable command and control structure to 'take out', fractured gangs with little association to each other.
The leftie in me says the only solution is long term nation building and support of a legitimate local government - fix the failed state and them let them look after themselves.
The realist in me says the Chandlers are screwed unless a church/benefactor pays up (and I'm sure FCO are giving them all assistance in finding one). I think the chances of a direct military intervention are extremely low.
CH
Well, how about having our ships, when necessary, go through those pirate infested waters with heavy military support, when one of them approaches, shoot them.
I do not believe in 'helping' failed states,countries, anymore. I used t think that is the solution, education, good will, help etc. Sorry, I do not anymore believe in this strategy. As sorry as I feel for the people suffering in such countries, I now believe the more "help" we give, the worse it gets. They need to pull themselves out of the shite. as it is, we are dammed if we do, dammed if we don't.
I rather don't. Keeps at least our people save and does not deplete the money we have.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by weescot
In international waters, you can't simply blow up other ships when you know there is a problem - you need a mandate and a legal framework to support actions, otherwise thsoe doing the blowing up have no legal protection. Same as on land.
What if a ship is attacked by pirates? Is this ship allowed to defend itself?
Old Feb 4th 2010, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes. Under the Rules of Engagement which they are operating under. Self defence etc. Multi-national Naval forces currently off Somalia I think are operating under the EU.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by weescot
Yes. Under the Rules of Engagement which they are operating under. Self defence etc. Multi-national Naval forces currently off Somalia I think are operating under the EU.
Well, then they CAN blow them out of the water.
Do they?

Of course it is ,from what I understand, another matter for private boats .
I also assume the naval forces have neither the money nor the capacity to protect small private vessels. So if those enter those pirate infested waters, they do this at their own risk.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Cry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to all

Do they?
The Indians do
Old Feb 4th 2010, 1:50 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

This is the kind of idea that would sort this mess out once and for all. Best of all the politicians wouldn't have to get involved so no messy repercussions..

http://piratesofsomalialive.com/
Old Feb 4th 2010, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Do they?

Of course it is ,from what I understand, another matter for private boats .
I also assume the naval forces have neither the money nor the capacity to protect small private vessels. So if those enter those pirate infested waters, they do this at their own risk.
Call the Royal Navy Liaison office in dubai - they will be able to explain fully the rules of engagement and how the UK government funds and supports their operations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.