British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   BritExpat/ Metalist (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/britexpat-metalist-801181/)

Millhouse Jun 25th 2013 3:15 pm

BritExpat/ Metalist

you might find this useful to know...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23029195

Boomhauer Jun 25th 2013 3:27 pm

Re: BritExpat/ Metalist

That is hilarious; what a bureaucratic boobjob .

Kix Jun 25th 2013 4:56 pm

That's very interesting...

Beakersful Jun 25th 2013 5:19 pm

So, basically this means that I, as a Brit, can marry my non-EU citizen fiance, move to somewhere in the EU with my wife (and some savings) work a minimum wage job for three months and then move to the UK and we circumvent the stoopid rule about minimum wage/savings by utilising EU regulations which trump UK ones?

Millhouse Jun 25th 2013 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Beakersful (Post 10773174)
So, basically this means that I, as a Brit, can marry my non-EU citizen fiance, move to somewhere in the EU with my wife (and some savings) work a minimum wage job for three months and then move to the UK and we circumvent the stoopid rule about minimum wage/savings by utilising EU regulations which trump UK ones?

in a nut shell, yes.

Still, 3 months in France is quite a heavy price to pay. I'd go to Spain.

britexpat76 Jun 25th 2013 9:33 pm

That's crazy. Stupid thing is my wife would rather live in Kabul than the UK, does that then also negate the life tests etc? As usual all the wrong people will no doubt take advantage of these rules.

Victor Meldrew Jun 26th 2013 12:19 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10773418)
That's crazy. Stupid thing is my wife would rather live in Kabul than the UK, does that then also negate the life tests etc? As usual all the wrong people will no doubt take advantage of these rules.

Who are 'the wrong people'?

The Dean Jun 26th 2013 3:21 am

There is a flaw in the 'Jill and John' example shown in that article - it's not as easy as that to bring a non-EEA person ('John') into France to begin with - all EU/EEA countries are open to movement within the region, but quite obstructive to movement in from out............ I think there is more to this than is explained there.

In the real example, why do we allow a woman who has been here on a 'student visa' to get married legally here?

[NB: Vote UKIP]

martinbkk Jun 26th 2013 3:31 am

IS it easier for non EEA nationals to get visas to other EEA countries than UK? Or are they not required to be in this other EEA country and only the person wishing to take them to UK must reside and work outside UK in an EEA country for 3 months? Confused.

Not to any great concern though since like others none of my wives would ever wish to live there, me neither come to that.

martinbkk Jun 26th 2013 3:33 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10773663)
There is a flaw in the 'Jill and John' example shown in that article - it's not as easy as that to bring a non-EEA person ('John') into France to begin with - all EU/EEA countries are open to movement within the region, but quite obstructive to movement in from out............ I think there is more to this than is explained there.

In the real example, why do we allow a woman who has been here on a 'student visa' to get married legally here?

[NB: Vote UKIP]

I think you beat me to it, and perhaps more succinctly.

Regarding marriage on a student visa, I'm not sure but I think marriage is classified as a basic human right at some level so it might not be possible to deny it based on visa status.

The Dean Jun 26th 2013 3:35 am

1 Attachment(s)
And here he is, the man himself................. Surinder Singh............. :huh:

Millhouse Jun 26th 2013 4:13 am

Originally Posted by martinbkk (Post 10773672)
Not to any great concern though since like others none of my wives would ever wish to live there, me neither come to that.

How many do you have?

mentalist Jun 26th 2013 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10773011)
you might find this useful to know...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23029195

Were you possibly referring to me? Not sure if it would help as it may be very difficult to find employment for three months in a foreign country? Also I don't think the monetary requirements are too onerous. Furthermore, my wife would prefer that we retire overseas.

martinbkk Jun 26th 2013 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10773704)
How many do you have?

Mia Luang, Mia Noi, and Mia Chouw.

Millhouse Jun 26th 2013 5:56 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10773764)
Were you possibly referring to me? Not sure if it would help as it may be very difficult to find employment for three months in a foreign country? Also I don't think the monetary requirements are too onerous. Furthermore, my wife would prefer that we retire overseas.

Unbeliveably, I thought you might be interested and possibably grateful for the information. You live and learn.