Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Britain is a spongers heaven.

Britain is a spongers heaven.

Old Feb 28th 2010, 9:02 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Britain is a spongers heaven.

Originally Posted by lionheart
But surely pensioners should be looked after if they have been paying into the national kitty for 30-40 years?
hence it's going to be painful... the pensions pot is losing money like nobody's business, cos we're all just to darned healthy! In the 50s, life expectancy was at around the 65-70 years mark, so in reality, people would only receive state pensions for 5-10 years (on average)... whereas now, we can expect to live 10-15 years longer.

Much as I hate to say it, because obviously I'd like to retire one day with no financial worries and everything paid for me, but I really think it simply has to be phased out over the next 10-20 years. The current set-up simply doesn't work.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 5:12 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
I think the key to getting out of a benefits culture is to reintroduce the importance of family - and to seriously encourage it. After all, before benefits, pensions and other such stuff, a person in difficulty had to look to their family for support. Old people would be looked after by daughters, children by the elderly while the parents worked, etc...

You can see where this is going, can't you? Yup, a reversion to more traditional roles within a family unit... a more Middle Eastern approach to it! Yikes!

A lot of things will need to change in order to wean an entire population off benefits, including pensions.

Pensions is the big one for me... I don't get how working for 30/40 years entitles you to be paid for for the rest of your life... it's not like the government gives you money every week for the first 30 years of your life... or for the middle 30 years (which is what everyone has issue with). Pensions really can't continue and that's going to be one heck of a wake-up call. I don't think they'll be around when I come to retire.
A reversion to a more middle eastern approach? So they invented the concept of looking after their family? I think a reversion to more traditional western cultural values is what you mean...I have no intention of becoming a polygamist mysogynist surrounded by fat birds dressed in black (well unless they are in black leather then I might reconsider!).

But seriously stop most benefits and people will automatically start working hard and looking after each other a lot more. No need to become middle eastern - we were doing that in Britain since our way back pro-Celtic and Germanic ancestors settled the islands.

And Lionheart rightly pointed out that people who pay into the national kitty deserve some sort of pension...again reducing and stopping benefits will free up cash for that. I think we can also stop giving tax payers money to religious institutions and schools and cut back on foreign aid too...the big one would be to stop giving money to the EU - that's a huge and pointless bill we don't need to pay.

N.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 6:05 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

I was referring to the fact that ME families look to each other first and foremost and are very insular (is that the right word?). We don't see that often in Europe any more... although it is slightly more prevalent in continental Europe.

It's interesting to note though, that the Right Wing parties (FN in France and UKIP in UK) advocate a return to traditional, gender-specific roles within the family unit in order to reduce spending on benefits. Certainly, the FN, in its 1996 manifesto, advocated encouraging women not to work to enable them to concentrate on home and family. A few minor logistical (and logical) hurdles stood in the way of that one, but it's not for want of trying.

It would be an interesting study to see what benefit Benefits have actually brought to our societies - they allow more people to study (don't have to go out to work to earn your keep asap), put a stop to child labour (?), allowed women to work, created a level playing field for healthcare, allowed greater individual independence... but I guess also they could be partially responsible for fracturing the family unit.

Hmmmmanyway, enough musing. It's breakfast time.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
But surely pensioners should be looked after if they have been paying into the national kitty for 30-40 years?
Not if it's set up such that they don't pay into it for 30-40 years.

Remove pension contributions from the tax take and make the person save for their own retirement.

Trouble is - people won't...and then what? they get support anyway?
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

pauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to allpauldxb is a name known to all

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...ent-girls.html
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Its ok this muppet David Cameron saying he will do this and that.
Most of these brain dead spongsers know the law inside out, and the uk has gone to soft.
They will just appeal against any new law that may be passed against these spongers.
The EU (What a spineless set of people they are) will just find in favour of these spongers and most likely due to there human !!! yea right !!! rights has benn removed. and wayyyy heeeeyy back to normal nothing will change, it s the system thats at fault, and we know it will never change its all tooo late.