Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Brit teacher charged with being alone with a man

Brit teacher charged with being alone with a man

Old Mar 28th 2013, 9:48 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit teacher charged with being alone with a man

Originally Posted by Kix
Also if she was the legal owner ie not tenant, I'd put money on that she's emirati.
Hence being careful who you frattanise with.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 9:53 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
I don't know the details of Sharia but never heard of any Muslim country other than Saudi who has a law against unaccompanied women fraternizing with non closely related males. In my years in Abu Dhabi, never heard/seen any women arrested for going out unaccompanied with an unrelated male .
I expect it's like a lot of things here...the letter of the law does not allow it, but generally it is overlooked (alcohol licenses is a prime example).
Old Mar 28th 2013, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

I don't believe it is against the law even in KSA but in KSA the Muttawah will not allow it if they are aware. I understand the law in UAE is that an unrelated man and unaccompanied women cannot be together in a private place (I think this is also the general interpretation in Sharia law). This includes a car and may be interpreted to include a lift, depends what they are doing in the lift !.

Last edited by gottheTshirt; Mar 28th 2013 at 10:22 am.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 10:48 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I hope the woman who reported them can live with her own conscience.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 11:11 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I hope the woman who reported them can live with her own conscience.
Unfortunately I am sure she will meow.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 11:13 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Unfortunately I am sure she will meow.
Punctuation BE76!

Are you saying that, even though you don't like it, the owner will make the sound of a cat?
Old Mar 28th 2013, 11:41 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
I don't believe it is against the law even in KSA but in KSA the Muttawah will not allow it if they are aware. I understand the law in UAE is that an unrelated man and unaccompanied women cannot be together in a private place (I think this is also the general interpretation in Sharia law). This includes a car and may be interpreted to include a lift, depends what they are doing in the lift !.
Did this not come up a few years ago when there was talk about car pooling. Basically a single woman in a car with a colleague would be illegal
Old Mar 28th 2013, 12:00 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
Punctuation BE76!

Are you saying that, even though you don't like it, the owner will make the sound of a cat?
Old Mar 28th 2013, 12:12 pm
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by Kix
Punctuation BE76!

Pedant!
Old Mar 28th 2013, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
That's actually a crime over here? Being alone with a man who isn't your husband?
Here is another example. Three months in prison for a Brit for having an illegal affair. He was acquitted of the more serious offence of throwing the woman out of the window!
http://www.7daysindubai.com/Boozy-Br...ail/story.html
Old Mar 29th 2013, 7:01 pm
Shark Fisherman

I see the sun have picked up on it now.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...ith-a-man.html
Old Mar 31st 2013, 9:00 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
I think the husbands wife had something to do with it...
She did indeed. ONe of my colleagues knows the woman through a social group.

The woman has already been fired despite not being convicted so she's lost her job even if she does get out of this one. She's a Brit and the man in question was Iranian - I hate to say this but if you are going to get mixed up with locals and people in the region you have to be VERY careful where you go and with whom.

Being in a house with someone you are not married or related to is a crime in the UAE. It's just not enforced unless someone complains. People often forget where they are - the police don't actually care but have to be seen to deal harshly with complaints.

N.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 2:38 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know of ANY case in UAE in which someone got arrested / charged / generally in trouble with the police for cohabiting / sex outside of marriage when there was not some other factor involved? Every single reported case I've read about has some other contributing factor, which just reinforces the advice that, in practice, there's no problem unless you or some other party involved makes it a problem.

Having painted the town red in El ****ing Jadida last night (its 3:30pm and I'm still nursing the hangover) at all 3 of its watering holes, I can safely say there's bugger-all chance of getting into that sort of problem here (although apparently Casablanca is brimming with it). Desperately need a Triple Whopper and a vanilla milkshake, but I fear that that's as likely as getting ******.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 3:00 pm
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Does anyone know of ANY case in UAE in which someone got arrested / charged / generally in trouble with the police for cohabiting / sex outside of marriage when there was not some other factor involved? Every single reported case I've read about has some other contributing factor, which just reinforces the advice that, in practice, there's no problem unless you or some other party involved makes it a problem.

Having painted the town red in El ****ing Jadida last night (its 3:30pm and I'm still nursing the hangover) at all 3 of its watering holes, I can safely say there's bugger-all chance of getting into that sort of problem here (although apparently Casablanca is brimming with it). Desperately need a Triple Whopper and a vanilla milkshake, but I fear that that's as likely as getting ******.
****** bigmac?

The factor involved with the shit hitting the fan is invariably an Arabic speaker...........
Old Mar 31st 2013, 3:08 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
****** bigmac?
As far as I know, there's not one of those here either (in a town of some 300,000)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.